Star Ship Polaris

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by aridas sofia, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Polaris and Grandeur are probably the last jobs I'll be doing for anyone for free, so enjoy them while they last. :)

2. Vektor

Here's my first take on a CG replacement for the physical console used in the live-action shots. This is only the basic shape and would have more details and gadgetry added.

[​IMG]

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Hope that doesn't bar us from seeing you post work that you do for yourself though. And hopefully that means you'll have time to work on more of your personal projects.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now I want to go back to 2009 and build that console (I would also have liked between two more weeks and a month lead-time to build sets :lol:).

Really, really great.

5. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, that is the ship you were thinking of for the design the next enterprise contest for another fanfic.

I'm thinking of a different design. Had a front thick saucer section that resembled an Akira a little with a smaller sub engineering section shaped like an egg.

6. ThunderAeroI

I like the design, but given the volume of space around it, does it make sense for the controls to be only on one side?

7. Vektor

I envision this as the Chief Engineer's station where he oversees pretty much everything, mainly because he spends almost all of his time standing at it in the footage that was shot. There might wind up to be some basic controls or indicators on the back side of it but in general I think it's a one-man position.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Yeah, I like it pretty much as it is.

Do you have a general floor layout that this is based on?

9. Vektor

Kinda. I've done most of this based on the requirements of the live-action footage that was shot, but I do have a general idea of the layout.

I actually would have preferred a Chief Engineer's station that more directly overlooks the chamber, but that would put all the cool looking stuff behind the camera and render these shots rather dull visually. I compromised by orienting his console radial to the center of the chamber, and I will probably add similar consoles in matching positions around its circumference.

I'm still figuring out exactly how to deal with whatever Maurice is kneeling down at. I did that retro/Krell instrument bank thing in the earlier sketches, which I liked, but I don't really care for the way it chops things up and obscures a chunk of the interesting background. I dunno, still mulling it over.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Well, it's okay for him just to be kneeling down to mop up what's left of some poor engineer who didn't make it through the jump. :lol:

One thing about stuff in the foreground edging into interesting stuff behind is that it takes a little of the "get a load of this" curse off of an effects shot. We actually could see most of the equipment that's in BG in your earlier sketch.

11. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I still think the simplest answer for that one shot is just to have one of the floor grates swung up as if I'm checking something under the deck. I'm looking at the radioactive dipstick...and I don't mean Hudson!

How does this design work with the shots where we can see the actor's legs under the console? Do the legs on this obscure those on the physical console?

12. Vektor

Not sure. I'll have to go back and take a closer look.

13. ThunderAeroI

is it an optical illusion or a problem with the texture of the floor gate that they change angles after the control panel.

14. Vektor

The space is divided into six pie wedges and the floor grate is aligned separately to each wedge. Having said that, the alignment isn't all that accurate. I basically free transformed a huge texture by eye to get it in perspective, but it stretches WAY beyond the boundaries of the image to do that and it was just a pain in the ass. If there's a better way of doing it, I haven't learned it yet.

15. ThunderAeroI

what would happen if you just changed the design to be a 6"x6" square grid like an industrial platform that allowed you to see something below it. Like your platform idea but more subdued.

That way it can be structured or welded to follow a radial pattern from the center of the core or just not aligned to anything at all and just square it off at odd angles everywhere.

16. Vektor

To be honest, I'm reasonably happy with the floor as it is. Creating it was a pain but the results were pretty satisfying.

17. ThunderAeroI

That is whats important. It is good work. I know i couodnt do better.

18. Vektor

Okay, I've decided you must be talking about my old UES Vanguard:

[​IMG]

That one does hold a special place in my heart and I will get back to it eventually.

Satron likes this.
  19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^He might also be thinking of that starbase sized ship you did a sketch of.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

I'm thinking about how to model this to use as a virtual set. If the "pie slices" are 60 degrees and I assume the width of the three-display overhead in the center of the room to be the same as on the Command Deck - eight feet wide - that gives me some idea of how to proceed.