ST-TMP: your first time...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Warped9, Mar 1, 2014.

1. TenLubak

TenLubak Commander Red Shirt

First time I was about 12 or 13 early 90s and I got the special longer version from the library on vhs.I sat down to watch it on a Saturday afternoon w family, and just as the opening credits rolled my Dad said turn it off, I'm not in the mood for this. I cried as he yelled at me for watching too much trek. Then like an hour later he told me I could turn it back on.

I watched the film alone by myself as day turned to night, and the Enterprise plodded along thru the cloud after taking forever to get there. I paused it for dinner just as they were entering the cloud. I was wowed by the effects and music, this is a beautiful film. It really gave me chills and an undescribale feeling as that night watching a film no one else had patience for.
    I loved the film on first viewing. It was the last Original Series film I saw and it was and still is one of my favorite.

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral Admiral

I don't remember the events of the very first time I saw it, but it was in December 1979 when I was 28. It was playing at one of the old ornate and fancy theaters downtown, which had been built back during the 30s or 40s or earlier.

I saw the picture 5 times, paying full price each time, because I wanted the picture to make money. It wasn't exactly what I was hoping for in a Star Trek film, but it was still an impressive film on a giant screen. I know they were selling posters and special programs for it, as had happened with Star Wars. The one-sheet poster I used to have had an early tagline on it, "There is no comparison." Wish I still had that and the program book just for the keepsake value, but I don't have any of that stuff anymore.

3. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Somebody posted a still of a massive promotional poster of the Rec Deck scene that I'd never seen before. I would LOVE a copy of that on my wall. A lot of the big promo posters were of Kirk, Spock, Decker, and Ilia in bath robe but I love the promo shots including all the supporting cast as well.

4. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Where was that posted? I'd love to see it.

5. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

6. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Blaster Beam ftw!

7. Pauln6

It was on a thread on here... i think it was possibly a thread about concept art. I can't remember!

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I had one of those program books, too, with all funky new aliens we never heard of again. Have no idea what became of it.

9. publiusr

publiusr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sure Trumbull might have kept a few... I wish I had bought the Bandai NX-01 just to get the unused art book inside it.

10. Pauln6

Possibly concept art relating to the Starfleet command scene or Vulcan temple...?

11. dswynne1

dswynne1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I saw this film for my birthday (12/29) at the Parkway in Oakland, California, along with 'The Jerk' with a group of friends. It was awesome. Today, I still consider TMP to be my favorite because of its grand scale (which is why I am a fan of the sci-fi film '2001'). And as far as I am concerned, TMP is THE successor to TOS (as far as GR's philosophy is concerned).

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

:techman:

13. Elder Knight

Elder Knight Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wasn't much of a fan 'way back. I skipped the theatrical showings, and ignored the network broadcasts.

I remember first watching it through on Home Box or Cinemax. Must have been 1982, as I had my baby son in my lap at the time. He slept through it, though I enjoyed it.

(The kid is a benchmark. When TWOK came out, he was old enough to stay with his aunt while we went to the theater to see it. He was in the car at the drive-in when we saw TSFS, and was old enough to sit through the ensuing films with us in regular theaters.)