Spoiler whore's thread! (enter at your own risk)

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Caprica_Six, Sep 1, 2005.

1. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ I don't think that it's Hera because of the promo for next season.

2. Jimmy_C

Jimmy_C Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the most straightforward explanation is that D'anna hasn't met the final Cylon. That is, the final Cylon wasn't on Galatica when she interviewed everyone, nro was the final Cylon on New Caprica when she was there.

3. Jimmy_C

Jimmy_C Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why is Tigh holding a gun to Adama's head in the first scene of that promo? :cardie:

4. Wouter2

Wouter2 Captain Captain

If D'Anna has't met the final Cylon, ergo has no clue who it is (other than she knows a face), then how can she be certain that he/she is not in the fleet? She didn't say "I didn't know the final one from Galactica or New Caprica", she says not in the fleet, period.

Suppose she does this, and then Tyrol or Tigh come out and say they know the fifth, it's some nobody somewhere on the Space Park or the refinery ship or so. Then D'Anna is looking like a liar to everyone who heard her declare "not in the fleet".

5. Wouter2

Wouter2 Captain Captain

The problem I have with this, is that Hera can hardly be a model of the cylons - she's not a model, those are manufactured, synthetic copies ("or mechanised copies" as Cavil and Natalie say) of a template. Hera was born and is unique, as the combination of human and Cylon DNA.

Also, being host of the consciousness of the final Cylon implies that Cylons can be something like spiritual beings, which brings us really far from the original definition of a Cylon. They would be more God-like beings then, some kind of poltergeists or so, rather then walking and talking, biological computers. Hera already has her own consciousness, like every human that gets born; surely this doesn't get discarded by mind-possesion? In that case, Helo and Athena needs to call Ghostbusters or exorcists instead of marines and Vipers to deal with the Cylon threat.

6. Magisterfrodo

Magisterfrodo Vice Admiral Admiral

We don't known anything about the origins of the Final 5. They may have been born. In fact, my theory is that this is exactly the case, and the the Final Five Cylons are previous human/Cylon half-breeds. "All this has happenned before". At some point in the past, humans and Cylons interbred, probably both on earth and later on Kobol. Those who escaped were half-breeds but, as a culture, either lost or intentionally suppressed that knowledge. This is part of the reason the 7 "skinjobs" are programmed to not think about them.
    Well, we've seen head-Six and head-Baltar. May this is the final Cylon and it is a consciousness that needs to enter Hera. Maybe it already has. It may be a little far-fetched, but so will any explanation that actually ties all this together.

7. Wouter2

Wouter2 Captain Captain

Interesting idea, which would mean that those 5 so-called models really aren't models at all, and would have no numbers (which ties in with what RDM said, allthough I'm unsure how to interpret his words). But, they would still be very old then, because if they really were born and they are their apparent ages, then there is an awful lot of human/Cylon parent pairings running about. 2 humans can hardly produce human/Cylon offspring! So, even if they were born, wouldn't they still be very, very old?

8. Magisterfrodo

Magisterfrodo Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm not sure how to explain that. If my theory is correct, all the humans in BSG are descendents of human/Cylon half-breeds. Maybe the Final Five are all consciousnesses that were waiting the right moment to download into the bodies they now have. Maybe the "Watchtower" song didn't turn them on. Maybe it was part of the download. They weren't "Cylons" up until that point. That would explain how they all managed to end up on Galactica without knowing who they were.

9. Wouter2

Wouter2 Captain Captain

Yes, but that doesn't rhyme with "we are Cylons, and we always have been", as Tyrol was sure. It comes down to everybody being Cylons (which is a possibility, mind; would explain why they can hardly distinguish cylons from humans).

10. Starwind

Starwind Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think they're half-Cylons. I believe that yes, they are born. Perhaps every generation there are a few born with the right combination of traits (strenth, endurance, ability to interface with computers) to become one. The Final Five reincarnate in those children.

11. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just wondering...

...does D'Anna even know about Nicky? You'd think that would be of some importance to her. The offspring of a Final Five?

Same with Tigh's baby-to-be as the first Final Five-Cylon offspring.

These kids have got to matter somehow, right? 'Cause they hit all three combinations (Human-Cylon; Final Five-Human; Final Five-Cylon).

12. Wouter2

Wouter2 Captain Captain

I really hope that's not the way they're going, because this reduces being cylon to "a state of mind". And how can a human be born with the ability to interface with Cylon computers (or colonial computers by putting a needle in their veins)? You don't get born like that, this is designed.

13. Starwind

^The first ones were designed. They are products of genetic engineering. It can be passed to their offspring.

Remember that Hera can distinguish her mother apart from the rest of the line. The Five are obviously more advanced, who's to say more of their traits don't breed true?

14. Wouter2

Wouter2 Captain Captain

After all those years, those traits would have spread throughout the population, or been bred out again. Hera, for example, may marry a full human later, and then her Cylon traits get watered down, until not much is left at all at some point. That, or some of her traits become widespread among humans, but then it's back to "they're all Cylons" - sort-off.

15. Starwind

Eventually, you get a few of those descendants marrying each other (maybe there's a bit a of programming in there that draws them together?). The genes do get spread around, but sometimes they get concentrated in some individuals. That's how reccesive traits get expressed.

16. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

Before Deanna got boxed and saw a vision in that temple of Jupiter, didnt she see five bodies standing there and looked at each one? How could she then not know who the fifth one was?

17. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is there any possibility that the last cylon is a presumed-dead character? Someone who wouldn't be in the fleet because they were killed (or a version of them was killed)?

18. Wouter2

Wouter2 Captain Captain

Of course that possibility exists, and if you believe RDM about the last supper (all the characters in that are out) and that D'Anna is telling the truth (and why wouldn't she? She doesn't need to lie in the position she is in), it's the best explanation besides Boomer.

One possibility: a presumed dead character isn't quite dead (like, perhaps, president Adar, or maybe Ellen survived the poison somehow, allthough I doubt that), or resurrection tech was in play. The latter has the problem that one would expect the 7 to notice if they had strange bodies in their resurrection equipment, but I guess some manipulation in their programming could take care of that.

19. Nomad V

Nomad V Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

is it possible that the 5th Cylon isn't on any Cylon or human ship? Could it be that the 5th Cylonis met at their final destination? One thing I expect from the show at this time is that the unexpected will happen. Maybe the 5th Cylonis found on Earth (earth?). I don't know but it is fun to guess.

20. anais

anais Captain Captain

I was just thinking the same thing, I expect the children to be intrinsic to whatever that happens to the fleet during the final episodes.

Also, is the Tigh baby a Final Five - Head Cylon baby in addition to the physical manifestation?