Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The choice of actor to play Peter Parker in the upcoming Spider-Man (4?, Begins?, Returns?) is named Andrew Garfield.

Announcement here.

Never heard of him myself.

2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

He was in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (one of my recent favorite movies). Kind of cute, but I think he can do geeky Peter Parker as well...it'll be interesting to hear him without an English accent though. Doubtless comparisons to Toby Maguire will be inevitable.

Oh, he's also been in Doctor Who.

Really, when I saw the finalist list I didn't know which way I wanted it to go.

3. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

He's a very good actor but WAY too old if they want to take Spidey back to High School. He'll be 27 by the time they start shooting, for f*'s sake! (and doesn't really look any younger than he is)

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's one funky lookin' guy. Would be better as a werewolf. Teen Wolf remake, anyone?

This Spidey remake is a stupid idea. I won't be watching regardless who they cast. :rommie:

5. Turtletrekker

^ They are going to have to convince me to see it in the theater for sure. Whereas, for another Raimi/Maguire movie, I would need no convincing. (Despite Spider-Man 3's mis-steps.)

6. Trek4Ever

Trek4Ever Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not as pessimistic about the new film now, the guy looks more like Peter Parker than Tobey Macguire. To get over the age thing, just rewrite the script and announce it as the early college years. :D

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally I was kind of ready for a new direction. I love Raimi, but he was repeating the same themes again and again, and his bright, comic booky style was starting to feel way too familiar and predictable.

As for the new guy, I like his look. I've always preferred a Spidey who was a little thinner and ganglier, and this guy seems to have that look to him.

Not sure I really buy him as a high schooler, but oh well.

8. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Apparently, they might do just that: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12...ures-announces-andrew-garfield-for-spider-man

If that's the case, I'm fine with Garfield and actually somewhat optimistic towards this reboot. Garfield's a good choice for a college-age Peter Parker and I think Mark Webb is a very promising director based on his "(500) Days of Summer", which I loved.

9. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

He was pretty decent in Lions for Lambs, but he doesn't really seem like the bookworm type... at least Maguire could do the dork look without trouble. We shall see...

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

11. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Garfield was great in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, and I really like how he now starts the film as a college student verses a high schooler. We saw the high school angle already; let's do something a bit different (and I'm fully aware we saw Parker in college in Spider-Man 2). Maybe the film will be more like the MTV Spider-Man animated series? I know a lot of people didn't like that show, but...

I have a lot of confidence in the director, Marc Webb, based on his strong debut (500) Days of Summer, so I hope this surprises. I can't wait to see Garfield in The Social Network later this year.

12. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course you won't.

13. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

And Tobey Maguire was a model? :lol:

This guy is cool with me as Spidey! :bolian:

14. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This had better be Spider-Man 4 and not some crazy '27 year old playing a 15 year old' reboot.

15. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

According to Deadline Hollywood his deal is $500,000 for the first movie, $1 million for the second, and $2 million for the third. Tobey Maguire was reportedly paid $3-4 million for his first Spider-Man film and $16 million for his last one.

16. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That'll explain why they went with a relatively unknown actor for the reboot, even with three films they are saving a tidy sum.

As for Garfield, i've not seen the Imaginarium of thingy whats-it, but he was fairly good in Evolution of the Daleks, even though the episode itself wasn't that great.

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

The perks of hiring a relative unknown. Their salaries are cheaper

18. Turtletrekker

19. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Who are the contenders for Mary Jane?

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The rest of the cast seems to have been ignored by the media while covering who Spider-Man will be. There is supposed to be some Russian model (her name escapes me) who auditioned and is campaigning heavily for the role, she looks more like MJ than Kirsten Dunst ever did. I wouldn't mind if Anton Yelchin was cast as Harry.