"Sometimes a Great Notion" Live Commentary

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Jan 16, 2009.

1. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That makes my brain hurt.

So let me get this timeline right:

- We start in Kobal. 12 tribes go to the colonies, 1 leaves and goes to Earth. THe one that leaves and goes to earth are cylons.
    - These cylons build robots, who destroy the Cylons.
    - Our friends back in the colonies also make robots, who destroy them.
    - They escape and find their way back to Earth to find the 13th tribe.

So, if the 13th tribe is cylon, then so are the 1-12th tribes. thus everyones a cylon?

2. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

That or only the tribe that went to Earth were Cylons. Maybe Kobol made cylons, and that cylon race settled Earth. While everyone else, the other 12 tribes were the humans of Kobol who went and formed the colonies.

So that would mean the idea of a cylon nation rising up against humans happened on Kobol, Earth, and the Colonies.

3. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Elements of the Kobol survivors/refugees?

And if we stick with the "cycle" and we go with Roslin's comments as she was burning the prophecy. Then our candidates are: Roslin or Adama leading a fleet to wipe out the Cylon homeworld.

4. ThunderAeroI

How do we compare the fact that the humans where able to find Earth via that holodeck on Kobal then? Or the trail left by the 13th tribe to prevent modern Cylons from finding Earth?

In the first, it would require the 13th tribe to come back to Kobal at some point to leave the clue. Why leave the clue at all, what would be the point? Why build the tempel of the five on the Alge Planet and not on Earth?

I think we are probably looking at a situation where these three planets are being recycled every 4,000 years or so. They are caught in a temperal loop without the temporal loop. Only so many planets can support life and for whatever reason the humans, cylons, and machines are being guided in this loop over and over and over again to the amusement of Bill Murrey.

5. ThunderAeroI

Someone direct me to a good solid working theory of this show. I love it, but sometimes I need a Cliff Notes.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I feel the same way. I want that and a Dirk Benedict guest appearance, but that's not gonna happen now unless he does appear and they're keeping it a surprise.

:vulcan:

7. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I hope that theory isn't correct, I don't want any time loops please.

8. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Well they could always go with the whole "Everyone is already dead, the journey is pugatory, Earth=Heaven, Nuked Earth is a test, and only by faith can they discover the real "Earth"" angle.

9. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I think in the end they will find a planet to settle on, and only a few will be left. Those few make a new Earth and over time grow. That Earth will be our Earth.

So in short the show takes place thousands of years in our past and will lead up another loop.

10. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I dunno, it looked like our Earth to me.

11. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Welcome to nuBSG.

:rolleyes:

12. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You're confusing Battlestar Galactica with Lost. Just replace "Earth" with "Island" and there ya go! :lol:

13. The Master of Tarquin Hill

The Master of Tarquin Hill Commodore Commodore

Thank you for typing that for me. :)

Ellen as the Fifth, no matter how interesting and dramatically stimulating I found her character to be earlier in the show, is a slap in the face at this point.

It would be such a major letdown that I just don't buy it at this point. Then again, it would not be the first time time that RDM has let me down with this show.

14. The Master of Tarquin Hill

I think you are right. That is, if you mean that there will be a few cylons and a few "regular" humans who have to intermingle in order to perpetuate.

I am so annoyed.

15. The Master of Tarquin Hill

Why?

How?

16. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

It's occurred to me that it really doesn't matter who the final Cylon is. At this point we now know that the five were from the past and not really sleeper agents. If they made it Roslin would it change anything? Not really, no. She won't all of a sudden say, "Let's join up with Cavil!"

Ellen seems a weird choice at first but in the end it may indeed work well.

17. Devnull

Devnull Captain Captain

What an amazing ep, so much darkness in one neat little package.

18. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

The humans were created by Cylons. They rebelled. They evolved.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

But do they have a plan? :borg:

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

In other words All This Has Happened Before And It Will Happen Again And Again And Again And Again......