Someone got the Antivirus Live virus on the work comp!! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Freman, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've gone on another computer to look for help with this stupid virus. All the help I've found is "download spy doctor, download malwarebytes, yada yada, go into safe mode and do this and do that", but the problem is, I CAN'T do anything. This virus won't let me boot into safe mode, it won't let me on the internet, won't let me system restore, nothing!!!

So how can I fix it?????

it's the manager's computer at work, and somebody got this thing. I've been trying to get it off for about a week now, and I was successful the first time, but now it's back and doesn't seem to want to go away this time.

the manager's gonna be pissed when she gets back from being sick and finds her computer doesn't work. lol

oh and the magical fix of malwarebytes program. I managed to do a scan with that and it said there were no infections found. ??????

2. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Tried booting off a CD?

Ummm. Hmm. More knowledgeable people will have better ideas, but if you have some form of bootable CD with antivirus on it, that might do the trick.

The Windows Help files can explain how to make a bootable CD. May need video drivers, other stuff. As I said, some more in the know types wil have some ideas.

3. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah I don't have any of that at work.

4. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

What makes you think this is a virus as opposed to some other form of system failure?

5. Colin Xavier

Colin Xavier Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Try this to remove that garbage.

If it does not work then you should install an Antivirus software like AVG, Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials and run the scans.

If that still doesn't work then you can try out the boot CDs listed here

Let us know if these work.

6. Alpha_Geek

Alpha_Geek Commodore Commodore

Download the tools Colin mentioned to remove it on another PC, burn to CD or move to thumb drive.

Remove ethernet cable (paranoid step)

Boot in safe mode (press ' hold F8 just as BIOS startup screens go dark and before the windows startup banner appears), with no network support.

Install tools, eradicate malware.

Insure the malware is gone.

Turn off the bosses computer and don't screw with it any more. By not screwing with it, you help insure job security. :)

7. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I think there's one important step that's being missed - make sure the rest of the network is free from viruses but isolating each computer clean it, and repeat until all are computers are confirmed clean then reconnect them to the network.

8. JustAFriend

JustAFriend Commodore Commodore

A) if you don't have administrator privliges on the computer, it's probably locked down by the IT department and THEY need to fix it.

Doing anything else probably violates the rules of your company and you can be fired....

9. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

See? Tolja someone briany would be along. :)

10. Alpha_Geek

Alpha_Geek Commodore Commodore

That was that whole "remove network cable" thing in the case of the one PC, but yeah. Once you've got a network aware virus on one, you need to look at all closely.

11. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

Some of these are really hard to kill. They defend themselves well. What can work is to download Malwarebytes on another computer. Then put it on a flashdrive. Then rename the executable (.exe file) to something else (like killit.exe) Then take the flashdrive to the infected machine and run the executable. Malwarebytes should do the job for you, if you have the latest version. Use the update option until it says there are no more updates.

Sometimes the malware makers get ahead of the anti-malware folks. You may have to wait for the version that addresses your problem.

12. Luckyflux

Luckyflux Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

First thing first is remove the network cable. Once the cable is removed it becomes a cage match between you and the virus. The virus cannot go anywhere to hide, so can find it and destroy it. Some good utes for these kind of things are Hijackthis Spybot Search and Destroy Autoruns.

13. riha15

riha15 Cadet Newbie

14. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Instructions on how to remove this scareware.

http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-antivirus-live.html

When you reach and complete first part of step 4, download/install/update/scan with Malwarebytes and possibly a free antivirus like Avast or MSE.
    I don't recommend AVG since it slows the system down and is pretty bad in detection rates.
    MSE is the best in detection/removal as far as free programs go and is on par with Norton 2010.

Hope this works for you.
    :-)