So...where are WE? (Spoilers!!)

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by USS KG5, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Magisterfrodo

Magisterfrodo Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think so. They seemed to always know they were Cylons and the 13th tribe. They knew about Kobol.

Also, remember that back in season 2 when they were in the holographic chamber, Kara said that earth was where the constellations matached the original flags of the twelve tribes. That's no coincidence. They had to have come from Earth long before the 13th tribe re-settled it as their own.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, but how many people knew - uh, know?

Dan Brown could get a book out of this theory. :lol:

3. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

I don't assume that it's our Earth. I assume that it's a fictional universe in which the writers have borrowed various elements of the real world and changed around others, just like Lord of the Rings, or, say, the alt-version of Earth in Independence Day, where there was a President Whitmore and aliens attacked us in 1996. Every work of fiction should have *internal* logical consistency, but I don't demand that it be consistent with the real world.

At the moment, I'm just taking the show at face value, that life originated on Kobol, and so the show is not congruent with the real world, where we have pretty solid evidence that life evolved here on Earth. That discrepancy is fine by me, as it's just a fictional world that we're talking about. If Moore wants to change it around in the last episode, to make it more consistent with the real world, then that's OK.....but I won't be the least bit bothered if he doesn't.

4. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well thats not what I said, I said it is not our civilisation it is clear the planet in question is supposed to be our Earth, but the implication is not that the Cylon civilisation is our civilisation.

RDM is not as much of a hack writer as to do "this is our Earth but loads of stuff is different" - at least not unless it is a key part of the story in a "Watchmen" style.

As for Independence Day it is not in an alternate universe, it is a work of fiction set in ours, and as it is fiction they can have a fictional president. It does seem to be set in the near future after all.

I'm pretty certain the show will not conclude with life originating on Kobol, and that is not second guessing the show. I'd go as far as to say the reveal of where life came from will come in the same scene as the reveal of who is pulling everyone's strings.

I think the cycle has gone on far, far longer than any of the characters currently suspects.

5. MIB

MIB Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally, I see no reason to believe why *our* civilization has to be in the BSG universe at all.

6. Alpha_Geek

Alpha_Geek Commodore Commodore

Maybe we're on Earth MkI, which the Vogons destroyed and the BSG Earth is the Earth MkII that the mice rebuilt?

Seriously though, I have no idea where the puzzle pieces fit. My guess on "Watchtower" is that they were looking for something that could be discerned as obviously not coming from a Colonial origin. That way the viewing audience knew something really wacked out was happening. Really wacked out, like.. I dunno, maybe a handfull of beloved characters realizing that they *are* the enemy...

Wish they would have used the Hendrix version though. :)

AG

7. Search4

Search4 Commander Red Shirt

IMHO: if this has all happened before, and again, then we have a 2000 year cycle of building intelligence / revolt / war / move to another planet. We're in the future and this has happened a LOT of times. Earth was the original origin, but the origin is always viewed as the last planet we started from.

8. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

This is exactly what I feel the reveal will be, possibly topped off with none of our characters being human as in like us, but in fact all one or other generations of Cylons.

You see we are all the same deep down despite our differences... maybe RDM's message?

9. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol: Concur.

10. Magisterfrodo

Magisterfrodo Vice Admiral Admiral

I couldn't point to it, but I'm pretty sure awhile back the RDM did say that it takes place within our universe and that he would not be violating the theory of evolution. Sounds like it had to start on Earth somewhere in the distant past.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course it's another universe. So is every other TV show, movie, book, short story, fantasy sports team, etc. ever created. BSG isn't "more" another universe than any of those. That's the very nature of speculative fiction. ;)

I think we are in BSG's distant past. Kobol is a colony of Earth. All of these people are our descendants.

12. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

"Fictional Universes" do come in varying degrees of realism. You can have a really far out alternate reality like in Lord of the Rings, or you can have something that's simply a fictional story with fictional characters that are grounded in our world like Law & Order. They're not all the same. Now the question is, how close is BSG to the latter.

13. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I think it is the far future