So...where are WE? (Spoilers!!)

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by USS KG5, Mar 10, 2009.

1. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Hi All,

What is everyone's current theory about where our civilisation fits into the BSG timeline? I am a fan of "our far future" myself, though "our very distant past" is also a strong possibility.

This I think might well be one of the big reveals for the finale. What if whoever is left from our civilisation is pulling the strings? What if the human society on Kobol were actually the survivors of our Earth the first time it fell, then after thousands of years, the thirteenth tribe were able to re-populate it?

Scary thought - what if all that remains of our civilisation were twelve Cylons, and all the colonials are in fact Cylon to a greater or lesser extent, and all the true humans died millions of years ago?

What do you all think?

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

We're somewhere way back in the past. The Earth they found may well have been our Earth at some later point.

3. Takeru

Takeru Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think we don't exist at all, it's not our future or past, just another universe.

4. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's what I believe too.

5. empty

empty Captain Captain

We saw the North American continent at the very end of Season 3. The continent looks like it only did/only will for the last or next few million years.

6. Roshi

Roshi Vice Admiral Admiral

I think we're set in the distant future. I don't believe RDM's claim about All Along The Watchtower existing coincidentally in the BSG universe.

7. Shawnster

Shawnster Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This has all happened before. And will happen again.

We originated on Earth. We built sentient machines. They rebelled. We had a mass exodus from a ruined Earth and settled on Kobol. The cycle repeats and humanity abandons Koblol and settle in the 12 colonies. A splinter Cylon group settles back on an Earth that has recovered from the previous disaster.

The cycle repeats again two times - on Earth and the 12 Colonies. The Final Five leave a charred Earth and head to the colonies. They meet the Cylons, exchange resurrection for an end to the war.

The cycle repeats once more with the nuking of the Colonies. Humanity, pursued by Cylons once again returns to Earth.

I think that's where we are. Further, I think the series will end with the survivors settling on Earth.

8. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

Where do we fit in? I genuinely don't care.

10. USS KG5

I think the ending might leave the answer open - but I think that RDM is making a point here about our society that is very good.

We have to learn to live together, as much as we sometimes hate each other, as fucked up as we all are and as prejudiced an greedy and selfish, because we have to or we will destroy each other.

Nothing original about that of course - but I'd like to see a cathartic ending designed to hammer in this point.

11. Magisterfrodo

Magisterfrodo Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed, but who do you think nuked the 13th colony?
    I think it's whoever left behind the probe that made all the Cylons sick, but I have no idea who that would be.
    Somehow I doubt this. I think they either settle on "The Cylon colony" where the final five developed the resurrection technology or they find a new place altogether.

12. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I predict that the last scene will be set far in the future again with descendents of the colonists turning on a Cylon for the first time. "All this has happened before and will happen again".

13. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Um I'm pretty sure the Cylon colony was that large Cylon spaceship thing we saw in the most recent episode.

14. Magisterfrodo

Magisterfrodo Vice Admiral Admiral

I suppose it could be, and I thought about that. But why would that be called a "colony"? I was thinking probably that huge ship was on a habitable planet somewhere and was only moved recently by Cavil. The planet itself could still be there.

15. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Considering a lot of their technology and symbolism is ours, I go with 'we are their distant past.' And considering, some of the props they use, like medals, are from TOS, I also tend to think both BSG and G1980 happened in this continuity, albeit perhaps ten thousand years previous. But I'm weird like that.

16. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

So far (and this could change if there are new revelations), the show's mythology contradicts well supported observational evidence that life on Earth evolved right here. Until that changes, I consider the question "How do WE fit in?" to make as much sense with regard to BSG as it does to Lord of the Rings.

17. USS KG5

I disagree - the civilisation that the final five came from is not supposed to be ours.

If you assume the Earth is our Earth, then they either come long before or long after us IMHO.

18. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

hmmm aren't we the cylons? alas, i have no way of checking out to see if i'm cylon.

19. Hunter X

Hunter X Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^That's how I interpreted "Sometimes a Great Notion" as well. That we, the inhabitants of Earth, are Cylons who forgot that we are (and some rediscovered this and rebuilt resurrection).

20. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

You could preferentially ionize synthetic molecules (and it really is that simple), see if any of your cells bioluminesce or photosensitize at odd moments, like when a fiber-optic cable is jammed in your arm (or when Gaius Baltar or Karl Agathon is jammed... somewhere else), try to instantly distinguish between identical twins, or even have reckless sex with people you don't love and see if anybody becomes pregnant and carries to term.

Any of these would be a fine way to tell if you are, in fact, a Cylon.