So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm giving the SCE series a go. I've been meaning to give them a try for a while.

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Nice review- don't think I've seen it before. Or if so I'd forgotten

As for me, I finished Secret Of Crickley Hall, and think I'll go with maybe Stephen King's Under The Dome next...

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

You should, it's a lot of fun. I think in a way it felt the most like a TV show of any of the book series. It told smaller, standalone stories that tended to have character arcs that ran through several books.

4. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yep, I remember thinking the same, in terms of story length and 'week to week' character development reading SCE felt a lot like watching a show, and in a good way - a bunch of people you pay a visit to once a week, sort of. It even had the occassional epic multi-parter and flashback 'episode' to shake things up. There's some really good stories there. Enjoy!

5. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Just finished The Eternal Tide and Tempest Wake, both good reads. Now onto Jeff Lang's TNG novel Immortal Coil, so I can be ready for David Mack's new book which is a sequel to this:)

6. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pausing all my other reads to quickly read Jeffrey Lang's TNG: Immortal Coil on the advice of David Mack. As Patrick notes above, Mack's new novel is apparently a sequel to this one.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Not just his new novel, but the entire Cold Equations trilogy is a followup to Immortal Coil.

8. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have enjoyed them so far. I'm just starting on Immortal coil, then it'll either be Persistence of Memory or on to SCE:Interphase

9. Patrick O'Brien

Cool, I did not know that, thanks for the info Chris:bolian:

10. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

I didn't know that, either. Good to know now, so I'll can read it in advance. Immortal Coil was actually the first Star Trek novel I ever read. I remember being underwhelmed by it, so I didn't pick up reading ST again until Cross-Cult started ST:VGD in 2008.

11. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:bolian:
    Immortal coil is one of my favorite novels about Data.Thanks for the information Chris.I can't wait to get these books and find out how David Mack continues the story that left off in Immortal coil.I'm reading Startrek Voyager Unworthy.I really like how Kristen writes the Voyager characters in her books.And how she expands on what happened to Seven of Nine after the Destiny Novels.I've only read a few chapters so far and really like this book alot.I also like Eden Asfrah the new Voyager Captain she's an interesting character .

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  12. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Currently reading Immortal Coil in preparation for the Cold Equations trilogy. About 1/3rd of the way through and liking it so far.

13. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

14. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Just finished Serpents Among The Ruins for the second time. Outstanding as usual!

Now onto Brinkmanship!

15. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Just finished Revenge of the Sith. Excellent adaptation.

Today I'll be starting Warriors: The New Prophecy - Sunset by Erin Hunter. I used to read the Warriors books to my daughter when she was younger, but then she reached the age where she started reading them by herself and I got left out of the story. So I figured I'd at least finish the "New Prophecy" arc on my own.

Up on deck was going to be The Persistence of Memory, but instead I'm going to follow everyone's lead and read Immortal Coil.

16. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I'm following the herd and reading Jeff Lang's Immortal Coil. Just started, but so far so good :techman:

17. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Just finished the New Frontier Mirror Universe tales. Now I have to watch DS9's "Resurrection" and "Emperor's New Cloak" before getting to the DS9 stories. I also read the Turnaround comic, which was pretty good, too. If I was a bit thrown off because I'm not up to date on the NF stories.

Quick question: I got bit by the NF bug and was thinking of snagging the first three SF Academy books for my kindle. I got "Worf's First Adventure" but it doesn't seem any of the others are available. Am I not finding them (I note that there are multiple listings for each book.) or do they not exist? Thanks!

18. Patrick O'Brien

I hope Jeff gets a big fat royalty check and takes Dave out for a beer:lol:

19. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally picking up where I left off from my 100 Great Novels list, with Thackeray's Vanity Fair. It might take the rest of the year to read, but that's okay. It'll be my 80th book in 2012. :)

20. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Psych: The Call of the Mild. I'm now reading Star Trek: Typhon Pact: Brinkmanship.