So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Veeza

Veeza Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

About to start a re-read of the awesome Destiny trilogy! Loved it the first time round shortly after release so looking forward to it. :drool:

2. Caesar753

Caesar753 Commander Red Shirt

I just started Stargazer: Progenitor.

3. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Isn't that trilogy just amazing? I've gone through it twice, and intend to read it again a third time once I reach it. :)

Currently reading: Beast by Peter Benchley. It's basically Jaws with a Giant Squid instead of a shark, but it's still well and good!

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bough and read some new digital comics from Comixology today.
    I also got Fables: Animal Farm, but Comixology stopped working after the third issue of the arc. I'm hoping I can finish tomarrow.

5. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished New Frontier: Excalibur: Requiem yesterday and started on Burn Notice: The Reformed today.

6. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you enjoyed No Logo, you should give Klein's The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism a shot.

7. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Having finished re-reading Jeff Smith's Bone, I've moved onto re-reading The Hobbit. Sort of a "last hurrah" before the world only references the movie version. :p

8. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Going fairly steady with my Mirror Universe read through. Finished Age of the Empress, which was pretty good. It probably could have stood to be its own novel, as there are some quirky not-so-obvious time jumps that make the novella a little oddly paced. I'd venture to say it's the best Enterprise story I've read.

I also breezed through the MU short stories "Nobunaga," "Ill Winds" and "Greater Good." They were all fairly strong. I wound up liking "Ill Winds" the best of the three, probably because it had the most latitude in how it dealt with characters. My only complaint is I wish there had been a stronger bridge between the ENT-MU and the TOS-MU. Not saying it should account for everything, but just sort of getting us from there to here since we have the least amount of info about that.

As well, I'm now two chapters into the full novel of The Sorrows of Empire and I'm loving it. Spock's character is spot on. Hope to finish the novel up over the weekend.

9. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading the Eternal tide by Kristin Beyer.It's an awesome book.One of the best Trek books I've read since I finished reading David George's sds9 books.

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Just finished Jenny Colgan's Doctor Who novel, Dark Horizons. Scots, Vikings, the Lewis Chessmen, and a really strange alien menace.

I liked it. The story's strong, the native characters are compelling, and the story is interesting.

11. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Currently reading Myriad Universes: Shattered Light. Between the first two stories I read Aaron Rosenberg's Too Small for Tall.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Finished the Fables Animal Farm arc this morning. My review from Shelfari:

13. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    The last book I read was "Firefly" by Piers Anthony...(pretty bad). I also read all of the Shaft novels; they were actually pretty good, save for the first one.

I've been watching the 2008 Clone Wars series which is surprisingly good and definitely better than the prequels, giving a lot more depth to the clones. Hence, I do want to read the Karen Traviss novels to see how she humanizes them in her work.

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Superman by Larry Fye: a non-fiction history of the character.

15. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How is it? (And it's "Tye". :) )

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  16. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am still slogging through "Crime and Punishment" but, at last, am just finishing Part V and so most of the way through the book. It could be interesting to read about the exile of Khan in the context of Dostoevsky. Did finish "Mutiny on the Enterprise" by Vardeman which has some potentially interesting ideas. Star Trek Exhibition was great, even if I am not too event oriented.

Tried to touch base with subjective feelings about "Green Theory" so I expanded the stub with that title at Wikipedia. I am not sure how compatible environmental science fiction is with the trekverse. Habitat destruction is depressing... read another ST book maybe to feel better. Whales ex historica at least was entertaining. I have watched the movie many times. Maybe on to Khan's exile. Punishment? What ever does not destroy me makes me worse.

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Oops! Thanks for the correction.

I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm not very far into it yet. The comic just debuted to great success and the comic strip version has been launched . . ..

18. TenLubak

TenLubak Commander Red Shirt

Aside from college books,
    Star Trek -Voyager :The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer (just got this Sat reading this the most)
    Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #16 INVASION #3- Time's Enemy by LA Graf (slowing going thru this one since Aug)
    Star Trek Captain's Blood By William Shatner and Judith and GArfield Reeves Stevens (read the beginning really fast at the end of summer, slowed up toward the end and w school starting)

19. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just finished Star Trek: Khan- To Rule in Hell, and Star Wars: Clone Wars- When They Were Brothers. Both were amazing. To Rule in Hell was one of the best Trek comics I've ever read. In trying to read the Star Wars EU in chronological order, I had assumed beforehand that When They Were Brothers happened after The Clone Wars animated series. But now that I've read it it seems obvious that it comes before.

20. PKS8304

PKS8304 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Star Wars Darth Plagueis by James Luceno

Recently read:

Supernatural Nevermore by KRAD. Well written, fitting nicely in the time period of the series. Characters dead on, plot engaging, paced nicely and even had time for a fun brotherly angst/daddy issues moment that didnt distract. Dean's personal struggles with what was happening at the paticular time in season 2 this transpires is also used nicely.

Star Wars Knight Errant by John Jackson Miller. Exploring a time period set in Star Wars left untouched until now, the cast of various Sith warring with one another set in stride with the protagonist Jedi Kerra Holt are equally interesting, interconnected and entertaining. While one could argue, this novel has 3 short stories which could be read seperate from one another, as the Dark Horse comic arcs have done so, at the same weave a story that pays out at the end in a satisfying conclusion while leaving everything wide open to continue.