So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Finished Prophecy and Change the other day. A little more mixed bag than I would have expected. There were really only two standout entries (Terri Osborne's and Heather Jarman's). I felt the majority of the pre-DW stories were wasted on explaining things that didn't need to be explained as opposed to being wholly original. (Chris's story was probably my third favorite overall because it avoided this.) Still, it was a good read overall and very consistent with the Relaunch. "Skipping" Season 2, but having 3 stories set during Season 6 seemed odd, too. Sadly, Andrew Robinson's story was hampered by his insistence on not retelling/expanding on the Dream Box. I felt I got as much as I could from the tale, but ultimately it would have been helped by a brief, straight forward summary of the play, rather than the messy, vague one we got.

Just got started on A Time to Be Born, which is pretty good so far. I'm already 1/3 through it. Much as I'm enjoying it, there are a few things that I find a little annoying. Picard's penchant in John Vornholt novels to be distracted by pretty women is beyond cliche and it'd be terribly embarrassing for a career officer to have this happen so often in a 3 year span (Gemworld, Genesis Wave). Secondly, I wish we could get away from the "All captains that aren't Kirk or Picard are terrible." angle. It went away during a lot of the TNG Movie-era novels I'd read. Admittedly, it could all be part of the story, but it got too be overbearing early on and the more chapters of someone with less seniority than Picard lording things over him just get a bit boring.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Thanks, but that's a surprising assessment, since the purpose of "...Loved I Not Honor More" was to explain why Grilka completely disappeared from the show after Quark successfully wooed her.

Really, that was kind of the whole mandate Marco gave us for Prophecy and Change -- to fill in the gaps in DS9's normally tight continuity, to explain the changes that happened offscreen or got glossed over (hence the title).

That's just the way it broke down. There was no requirement for every season to be covered; writers pitched stories about events or gaps that interested them, and Marco picked the ones he thought would work best. Since events really picked up as the series went on, it's not surprising that there were more stories set in later seasons. (Actually there are only two stories set in season 6, one set between 6 & 7, and two in 7.)

3. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

I finished up Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi - Apocalypse. I felt it was a good ending to the Fate of the Jedi series.

I was surprised that Abeloth's origins tied in to the Clone Wars TV series and thought it really improved her as a villain. And I'm very, very pleased that Jaina and Jag have finally gotten married.

I also finished Julia Hoban's Willow and have started Catching Fire. I'm planning on reading Vanguard: Storming Heaven next.

4. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I started By the Light of the Silvery Moon by Tricia Goyer. I'm on a Titanic reading streak right now and I figured this would be a good book. So far, so good. :D

5. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

re-reading DTI Watching the Clock. Still makes me smile that the epigraph is an Einstein quote followed by one from Doctor Who.

6. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Out of curiosity, what's the Doctor Who one? I haven't read the book.

7. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

it's the Doctor's line from Blink about time not being a strict progression of cause and effect.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-of-effect...but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff"

8. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Continuing my massive TNG/DS9/VOY chronological reading. I'm currently in beginning of TNG season 3 time, with "Exiles." In the last week and a half, i have plowed through A Call to Darkness, A Rock and a Hard Place, Gulliver's Fugitives, Doomsday World and Exiles. Tonight i'll start The Forgotten War.

9. Mysterio

Mysterio Lieutenant Red Shirt

I just started Ready Player One. I'm only a couple of chapters into it but so far I'm enjoying it. Hope to have it finished before Forgotten History becomes available.

10. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome. :cool:

11. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Me Too I can't wait for the next book to come out. I'm reading Startrek ds9 Saratga by Micheal Jan friedman.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm taking a break from the paperback's I've been reading and am now reading Kim Harrison's first Hollows Graphic Novel Blood Work.

13. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just posted my review for Peter David's The Rift. Not sure what to read at the moment... I think I'm going to pause in my reading of the Errand of Vengeance series for now. I may read Una McCormack's Hollow Men, as I have a few days before the ebook version of Christopher Bennett's Forgotten History is released.

14. TheAlmanac

TheAlmanac Writer Captain

I have fond memories of The Rift, pleased as I was at the time to get a novel set during the same period as PAD's run on the DC Star Trek comics series. Even now, novels set on the 1701-A are pretty rare.

I picked up Tales of the Dominion War on sale a while ago, and I've finally gotten around to reading that. Like any anthology, it has its ups and downs, with a few standout stories so far (David Mack's comes to mind), and one story that I hated (despite an appealing premise) because I couldn't stand the writing style.

15. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading O.C.L.T.: Brought to Light by Aaron Rosenberg at the moment.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished reading Blood Work earlier today. I really enjoyed, and gave it 4/5 stars on Shelfari.

17. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just finished "Articles of The Federation" by Keith R. A. DeCandido (2005) as on my book reader. Also reading "City of God" by Augustine (transl. by Marcus Dods in the free Schaff edition). Working my way through the major works of 'Great Political Thinkers' (as per Ebenstein) still as an ongoing challenge. It was hard to appreciate KRAD's book as I have never seen West Wing nor most modern TV shows. Sad to say I have not even seen quite a few of the ST TV shows (esp. DS9 and Enterprise). Perhaps soon... Not sure what to read next among the ST books. This website offers many good suggestions of course.

18. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Could you say a little more about why you found it hard to appreciate?

19. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished NF: Martyr yesterday. I'm now reading Doctor Who: Apollo 23.

20. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

I'm reading a couple Trek books - alternating according to mood and trying to fill the void left behind by Vanguard ;) ..

the first Errand of Vengeance book (don't have the rest but the first one's very nice), Price of the Phoenix and Children of Kings.