So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    I feel I am going to be reading Kip Fulbeck's "Paper Bullets" because of personal, and academic interests.

I already have a full stack of books to read...and I'd been having trouble deciding exactly I wanted to read next.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  2. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

I picked up the first trade paperback of KRAD's post-Peacekeeper Wars Farscape comics on Thursday after work. Read it and immediately reached for more. Read 4 or 5 volumes on Friday evening, and this afternoon/evening finished the rest of the series (including the last 8 issues of The War for the Uncharted Territories "floppies") and the two volumes of Farscape:Scorpius, scripted by David Mack. They were all very, very good. If you like Farscape and wonder what happens next, these constitute about a season-and-a-half of new Farscape goodness.

I'm sure I have a copy of KRAD's Farscape novel, House of Cards, around here somewhere, lonely and unread... I wonder where that went? Aaaah, here it is. Straight to the top of the pile for you!

3. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

I finished The Romulan War: Under the Raptor's Wing. I really enjoyed it, I don't see why this book gets such a bad rep.

Just started Star Wars: The Cestus Deception.

Not really sure what will be on deck after that; most likely The Hunger Games, as long as my daughter has finished rereading it (for the third time) by then. She's not much of a reader so I'm really glad a series has grabbed her so much that she won't stop reading it, even though the subject matter creeps me out.

If she's not done, then I'll probably read a short story collection I just bought titled Robots: The Recent A.I. instead.

4. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really don't know why you would say that. The post-NEM TNG novels are generally accepted to consist of:

- Death in Winter - Romulan politics, Picard/Crusher hookup
    - Resistance - Rogue Borg cube threatens the Federation
    - Q & A - Q's back!
    - Before Dishonor - Rogue Borg cube threatens Earth, enrages Janeway fans
    - Greater Than the Sum - New crew lineup; Picard chases down the last of the rogue Borg
    - Destiny: Gods of Night - Now the real Borg are out to kill us all
    - Destiny: Mere Mortals - Ditto
    - Destiny: Lost Souls - The same
    - Losing the Peace - Federation refugee camps
    - Typhon Pact: Paths of Disharmony - Andorian crisis
    - Typhon Pact: The Struggle Within - Internal crises with the Talarians and Kinshaya

Of all of these, only Losing the Peace deals with displaced populations.

5. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

You missed IFM - which also has bugger all to do with displaced populations, as it happens.

6. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oops. Sorry about that!

7. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished and reviewed Dayton Ward's new release, That Which Divides. Not bad, but didn't really "grab" me the way some Trek lit does.

Now I'm reading New Frontier: Gateways #5: Cold Wars.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bah, CW was probably my least favorite New Frontier book.

9. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Before Dishonor.
    I'm about 200 pages in, and I'm not very impressed, but I plan on finishing it!

10. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Purchased a number of ST books for my reader but not reading much yet. Reading Yoshihiro-sensei (Francis Fukuyama) with "The End of History and the Last Man," "Trust," "The Great Disruption" (reread), "Our Posthuman Future" (reread), and currently "State-Building." OPF may have relevance to eugenics wars and such. Made an improptu New Year's resolution to read "Sense and Sensibility" and finally got about 4/5 of the way through this book.

Some of you may be jealous of me as I have not read very much of the newer ST books and therefore have many good books to read sometime soon. Have read many TOS and TNG but not much others. May read the two "Maximum Warp" books by Dave Galanter & Greg Brodeur soon more to cover modern TNG. "Articles of the Federation" does seem to be a good read by KRAD. Look forward to SCE books soon too.

Does advanced technology only mean spaceships and rayguns? Surely public administration and education would have advanced as well. Will essentially contested concepts always be essentially contested concepts? I guess I just have to read more books. ... Hope to begin NF soon too.

11. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Black Wolf by Dale Brown and Jim Defilice.

12. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Finished Rising Son last night, which was rather disappointing. The last 100 pages should have been the main focus of the whole book. It feels like there either should have been two Jake Sisko books, but the Editors realized the story didn't warrant that. I was hoping that the story would be more of a Travelogue from a writer exploring a new territory to find himself. I really didn't like the angle that was taken for Dez and his interest in Jake, it felt very one note. However, the last 100 pages were fun and interesting and revved me up to relaunch again.

As well, I started Unity last night. I'm about 50 or so pages in and loving it. Granted, I have a quibble about the first chapter (~18 pages!) being one of those boring "Two Superhero Teams have misunderstanding and fight each other before realizing they have to work together"-type battle. It felt so... unnecessary and out of character for the Defiant crew to do. And while the 3rd chapter is a big recap, it somehow felt really well handled. I'm super stoked for this book, though!

13. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I'm reading I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished reading STNF: Blind Man's Bluff last night. I enjoyed it, it was definitely one of the better books in the series, although it still wasn't up the quality of Vanguard, Titan, or pretty much any of the other lit series. I kind of wish we could have gotten a little more closure to the D'Myruj story. I also didn't care for Peter David's characterizations of the Doctor or Seven. Maybe it was just me, but Seven seemed a little more human than I remember her being in the last few Voyager books, and I find it hard that it would be so hard to convince The Doctor to help get rid of Morgan. I know he has the thing for hologram's rights and all of that, but I would have expected him to be willing to look past that once they explained just how big of a threat she was. I know he did help in the end, but I just would have expected it to happen quicker. My rating: 7.5/10
    I also started CSI creator Anthony Zuicker's first novel, Level 26: Dark Origins. I'm a big fan of the CSI franchise, and I've had this sitting on my Nook unread for ages now, so I finally decided to give it a try. Although after seeing some of the reviews on Amazon, I'm not as sure I'll like as I was when I first bought it.

15. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Going to read Farnham's Freehold by Robert Heinlein

16. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Book Six of the Dark Tower saga, Song of Susannah, almost finished. Connie Mill's "Passages", about near death experiences. And waiting in the wings, "A Rising Thunder", the new Honor Harrington book.

Which came out the same time Mass Effect 3 did.

17. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished That which divides. Not sure yet what to read next.

18. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm currently reading Star Trek: TOS The Prometheus Design, Star Trek: TNG Metamorphosis, and am about to start Star Wars: LOTF Betrayal.

19. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

I am reading That Which Divides now. I just finished The Sundered. It was ok, but not may favorite Lost era book.

20. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished the Startrek Mirror Universe novels Dark Passions by Susan wright I found both books at the used book store .I also finished reading recently Startrek Gemimi by Mike Barr and Pillars of Creation by Terry Goodkind.I'm reading Chainfire by Terry Goodkind.I'm waiting for the trek novel That which divides to finally arrive at my local Barnes&Noble.