So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Sally Lockhart's the one Billie Piper played opposite Matt Smith in The Jewel in the Smoke, right? I never understood how they could call something "The Sally Lockhart Mysteries" when all Sally Lockhart did was stand by and watch while her friends did all the mystery-solving.

2. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Currently Voyager: Protectors. After that, I'll probably get back to finishing Brinkmanship and Darth Plagueis, since those got neglected when The Fall novels were released.

3. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Currently reading "The Heart of the Warrior" by John Gregory Betancourt (ST-DS9 #17, 1996) and it is rather enjoyable so far in the beginning if somewhat different. One plausibility issue that stands out: "He'd set the controls as cold as they would go, but radiant heat from the phaser and the fused metal had raised the internal temperature of his space suit to nearly sixty degrees centigrade." How long can a human survive in a space suit at 60 degrees Celsius?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  4. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Yeah - they only did the two, The Ruby In The Smoke and The Shadow In The North (which she does solve).

There are four books, but only two TV adaptations.

5. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

And, as is so often the case, the books are much better than their TV adaptations.

6. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

The direction of the TV version - at least Shadow In The North, which I saw the other day - is bloody awful.

7. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Posted my review of Greg Cox's No Time Like the Past. I have to say, I really enjoyed this one!

Right now I'm re-reading James Swallow's Terok Nor: Day of the Vipers, as well as reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

8. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

No Time Like The Past by Greg Cox. Loving it so far!

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Thanks for the nice review!

10. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My pleasure! You keep writing 'em and I'll keep reading 'em! :techman:

11. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I just finished Rise of the Federation: A Choice of Futures, and decided to read Diane Carey's novelization of the Enterprise pilot, Broken Bow.

12. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just started Protectors and Before They Are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie. I really like Abercrombie even though this is only my third book by him.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Reading Kertrats47's review just made me realize that 2 of the last three Greg Cox novels have been time travel stories.

14. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Getting ready to start "Saratoga" (1996, DS9 #18) by Michael Jan Friedman and maybe I shall jump forward with the same author and read "Death In Winter" (2005) afterwards. Did finish reading "Science and Human Behavior" by B. F. Skinner (1953) to complete a psychology classic.

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

True story: I came very close to writing No Time Like the Past before The Weight of Worlds, but, in the end, I didn't want to do two time-travel books in a row.

Don't worry. The next one has no time-travel shenanigans!

16. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Just finished the Broken Bow novelization (faster than I've ever before read a Star Trek novel), and am going to start the novelization of Shockwave after I do a rewatch of Broken Bow itself.

17. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Finished 'The Running Man' by Stephen King....(It was 'ooookay.')

I am going to attempt to read That Man Bolt based on the 1970s film of the same name, and which also featured two Trek people: Fred Williamson and Miko Mayama.

I say 'attempt' since the script was convoluted, and came off as a first draft that was filmed. Even though I picked through the book when I first received it in the mail months ago, I'm looking to see if the author tries to explain the inconsistencies in the plot (or whatever plot there is).

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  18. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Digific writer the Broken bow novelization is really good. I enjoyed Broken bow& reading Shockwave is also good too.There's also a tv noveliztion about the xindi by J.M. Dillard too. I just finished reading Words without fiends by Ali Brandon and Myriad Universe Cold Architects by David George now continuing onto story 2 Tears of Eridanus.

19. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

Yesterday I finished Star Trek: Voyager: Protectors by Kirsten Beyer.

I'm now reading Mr. Monk and the Blue Flu by Lee Goldberg.

20. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Isn't Broken Bow the novelization that pokes holes in the entire premise of the plot and has characters thinking "Why did I say that?" quite a bit.

Finished out Indistinguishable from Magic. As a Geordi piece, this is a great book. Indeed the wider cast is really fun and it's a fun extension of SCE in a way. The idea of bridging all of the series was nice, too. (Though Barclay is kind of a stretch for Voyager. ;-) ) That said, the book is underserved by being two books shoved together. There's no breathing room and part two feels rushed because of it. Rasmusmen also just kind of disappears with a one-line resolution to his story. And it's so small universe-y... The only thing missing was Leonard James Akaar. Quibbles aside, it is a very enjoyable read and a great insight into La Forge. Outside of the rank change and the heavily implied but never quite 100% confirmed relationship change are there any other major incompatibilities with later TNG novels? (Less spoilers the better!)

Also quickly dispatched Doctor Who: Time Trips: Salt of the Earth. A lot of fun, very in touch with its era. Nice seeing the Doctor and Jo travel to the not-so-distant future, too. Also, POV sections from a dog. Which is always a good sign. ;-)

I'm now about 110 pages into DTI: Watching the Clock which I'm loving. I like the idea of a police procedural-esque story in Star Trek. Can't wait to see where it goes.