Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmm, actually I heard a slightly different version recently from Ron Moore and Ira Behr. Apparently everyone on the cast were given attractive offers for the seventh season except Farrell who - for some reason - was picked on by Paramount and given a poor offer. She tried to negotiate it to the same level as her colleagues but they wouldn't budge, so she quit.

2. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They have gone out of their way. I agree with you. And I will go out of my way to give them my money for it. That is Capitalism, they're not doing us a favour (the Okuda's may be a different case as they seem to be doing it for love). As for being unappreciative of your articles, sorry that it comes across that way. I am not really interested in the fine detail, nerdy technobabble of how they produce the blu-rays, I was simply reading to find out what extra's you were hinting at. I said as much several times. I'm sorry but you did lead a few of us on. As a number of us have said bloopers don't come anywhere near the other things they've given us.

I've wasted too much of my time on this subject already. That is where I leave it. Make of it what you will.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

CBS is actually taking the time and effort to remaster the entire series. They really are going out of their way. I consider the bonus features to be nice, but not the reason to buy the new Blurays.

4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Not to mention remastering outtakes and deleted scenes. That's huge!

5. FrontierTrek

To say this set hasn't even been released yet, you sure have a bee in your bonnet!

The interview with CBS Digital is a technical piece about the remastering process. It was never meant to cover the bonus features - those are produced by an external company.

Please don't make accusations without facts... "leading you on" is ridiculous, just because in your mind BLOOPERS and OUTTAKES are not big enough, that ain't my problem! Geez... some people are never satisfied! I am OVERJOYED that CBS found this material and will be including it.

6. FrontierTrek

Right! I still have to pinch myself sometimes... to think that just 2 years ago people were saying "it will never happen"

7. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The first few seasons of TNG were an unhappy time for a lot more than just the talent; check out how often the writing staff changed. TOS veterans like Gerrold, Fontana, and Justman all bailed, and the new writers never stayed for long. Even Ira Steven Behr talks about how TNG was one of his most hated jobs.

8. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Gates McFadden = victim of sexual harassment? What is the story behind this?

9. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Something involving Maurice Hurley, allegedly.

On a different note, you can bet on Whoopi appearing on one of the upcoming season sets.

10. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

FrontierTrek, do you have any idea if they are making a season 3 trailer? Just asking because some have pointed out it wasn't included in the Season 2 features breakdown. Whereas I seem to recall it was mentioned before season 1 was released, regarding the second season trailer.

11. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would imagine that's literally the last thing that's put on the disc before it goes to the replicators.

12. Savage Dragon

If we see a season 3 trailer at the Fathom Event then I think we'll probably see one on the season 2 set as well.

13. FrontierTrek

The Season 2 trailer was never mentioned on the Season 1 press release.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a Season 3 trailer on the Season 2 set... or indeed at the Fathom Event

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Much prefer the less grainy ones. Same thing I do to photos.

15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Ah yes, that's the one I talked about..beautiful!

16. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Wait till you see the actual screencap from the Blu-ray! That trailer was only 720p and its bitrate only peaked at around 5000 kilobits per second. The blu-ray will be 1080p and should be about 5 times that bitrate!

Many modern HDTVs have a digital noise reduction setting in the menu that you can turn on if you prefer. I think Blu-rays should preserve as much of the original high frequency detail as possible. :)

17. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Agreed, Why rescan the original reels of film and clean them up only to apply DNR and loose all the fine detail and clarity. effectively making them look like the poor, video edited masters we've been watching for 25 years. Data looks god awful in the DNR cap.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, that new Peak Performance shot looks freakin fantastic.

19. Savage Dragon

I'm actually not sold on it. It looks like one of Forbin's kitbash PhotoShopped images. I'll reserve judgment until I see it in motion.

20. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

I kind of have to agree. It certainly looks acceptable, but in my opinion the compositing is below the standards set by CBS Digital. The Hathaway is too bright and doesn't look integrated. The explosion element is cut off at the top and it looks as if they used an SD source for it and anisotropically diffused it to make it look higher quality than it really was. The edge of the planet is too drastically blurred. They are also not matching film grain.

Here's an example of what I think could have made it just a little better (mouse over to see my take):

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/156851