Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

That looks infinitely better without a DNR scrub, any ideas why they it was done for the shots in the trailer?

2. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Probably to make the shots look more consistent for the trailer and the file size smaller... or possibly to make it look artificially "cleaner" for a mass audience normally put off by grainy images -- even if that's the way the film stock is supposed to look from that era. :)

3. MickJo1701

That's a relief, I always wondered why the 'quick fire' shots at the end of the trailer had their film grain intact but the shots of Q Who and Contagion made Picard et all look as if they were made of rubber :p

4. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes folks, please don't put too much stock in the image quality from the trailers - As Maxwell Everett points out, they sometimes apply DNR or adjust contrast/brightness/brilliance to fit the "mood" of the trailer. And sometimes they use temporary shots if a particular FX shot is not yet ready!

5. MickJo1701

Just looking at this new matte, its definitely been CGI enhanced and an improvement over the original. I cant really make it out very well I think there are some first contact style alcoves in there, the telltale is the green plasma disks. Can anyone one see them?

6. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Yes, in fact it looks like all the Borg alcoves surrounding the original live-action element have tilted green plasma discs, whereas the footage filmed in 1989 has the original non-tilted energy plates:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's the original matte:

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s2/2x16/qwho219.jpg

Despite any visual inconsistencies, I agree with you that the new CG matte is a significant improvement and I can understand why they had to abandon the old matte painting. :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Ahhh, finally a fix for one of my niggling gripes about the original matte painting! The "live action" platform no longer has an odd droop to it due to the angle not quite matching the painting properly. :)

...at least, I hope it's fixed. ;)

8. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Just picked up on this. Actually it's not really consistent in the first season either. While the impulse drive glows orange during the episodes themselves, they are red in the title sequence of each and every episode, for example.

EDIT: The new FX shots from the season two event trailer look great! Can't wait for this release!

9. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Amazing!!! :drool:

10. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Just bought two tickets to the Fathom event. Can't wait!

11. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's been a while since the release was brought out but I love the features we're getting. I think the biggest revelation about this was the deleted scenes. No matter how big or small they are, we're getting TNG scenes both in the deleted variety and in terms of Measure of a man, and that excites me. We've all seen these episodes so many times (Or at least most of us) but we're getting scenes we've never seen. In that sense, they're going back into the Vault and releasing brand new TNG. I think that qualifies as "Big News" in terms of the features.

Not only that, but I'm excited in the season 2 version of Stardate Revisited for numorous reasons I've already stated in this thread. I still think the biggest thing I love about these features (And I know a lot of people will disagree) is that we're getting a recent 2012 interview with Diana Maulder. In a set that advertises the cast reunion, I am really glad they kept Dr. Pulaski in mind, considering this was "her" season.

Also, I haven't heard anything and maybe it's something for the Season 3 sets, but have there been any news about maybe getting Whoopi Goldberg for interview? I mean she's not really as big now as she was back then (When Ghost was coming out) and isn't she still on the View? I would love to see an interview with her, considering she's a lot older and I do wonder if she really enjoyed her time on TNG in hindsight. She really was one of Trek's best characters.

12. Savage Dragon

Didn't she lobby to be on the show?

13. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

She did, but a lot can happen in 25 years.

Were you talking about Goldberg or Maulder? My above comment was for Goldberg.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Muldaur did it as a favour to Gene Roddenberry. The poducers didn't like that she wouldn't agree to doing the first three episodes of the third season, they had no way to make her since she was a guest star, so they decided to drop her character.

Anyone notice how much bad luck Trek actresses seem to have?

Denise Crosby
    Gates Mcfadden (fired, but asked back in S3)
    Diana Muldaur
    Terry Farrell
    Jennifer Lien

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  15. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Other than for you to lose the condescending attitude (IMO)? Nothing. We were/are all aware that the extra's are super. Wonderful. Unprecedented. But we were lead to believe there was more. I feel let down by the person that suggested this and feel I wasted my time reading his articles in the hope they would reveal the clues that were hinted at. Look at my post from late September. Notice how I indicate how chuffed I am with what had already been announced. Then call me an ingrate.

16. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think McFadden's situation would be the only one that might be called "luck," but see below for how I would describe them:

Denise Crosby = poor career choice
    Gates McFadden = victim of sexual harassment
    Diana Muldaur = fulfilled her obligation, then left amicably
    Terry Farrell = left near the end of DS9 for a better opportunity (network sitcom) - good decision!
    Jennifer Lien = chose to leave for some reason (can't remember what it was).

Feel free to correct me if my memory has failed me (again).

17. FrontierTrek

There WAS more! Did you miss it completely? We get DELETED SCENES and a GAG REEL... not seen for 25 years. That's wonderful. That's unprecedented.

Wasted your time reading them? Wow... try being more unappreciative next time. :wtf: CBS have gone out of their way to produce the best extras ever seen on a Star Trek home video release this time round - and I absolutely stand by my claim that these bonus features are groundbreaking. As for reading the articles, if you didn't want to read the interviews with the people behind this project, that's your prerogative. The feedback we've received has been wonderfully positive. :vulcan:

18. Savage Dragon

Sorry, I was commenting on your last paragraph about Goldberg. I would assume that if she lobbied to be on the show and stayed with it for so long she must have enjoyed her time.

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I consider it both a poor career choice and bad luck. Michael Dorn got even less than do as Worf than Crosby as Tasha in the first season, until Heart of Glory, but he was smart enough to stick with the show.

I was quite shocked when I first heard that. Glad things worked out for her.

Okay, I consider it not really bad luck for her since she never quite enjoyed being on the show.

Farrell was trying to get a raise for her final season, but Paramount went behind her back and hired everyone else and ended up firing her. That just rubs me the wrong way. As a result of that, we wasted several episodes developing Ezri Dax during the last season.

Yes, she did end up doing a few seconds on Becker, but she was also abruntly fired from that show for no reason.

But I'm glad she seems to be happy these days as a mom.

Nope.

The VOY producers were planning to drop Garrett Wang in order to make the space for the hiring of Jeri Ryan. It was obvious they had no clue what to do with Harry Kim. But PEOPLE magazine put up a sexist people list which included Wang, so they decided to drop Lien instead.

I always liked Kes, so I was pretty pissed about that.

20. FrontierTrek

I know CBS are trying so hard to get every major actor and guest from the show to contribute to the bonus features. Diana Muldaur and John de Lancie will both be wonderful contributors to Season 2 I'm sure, especially Muldaur who rarely talks about Star Trek. There has been no mention of Whoopi being included with Season 2, however much like John de Lancie appearing in Season 2 rather than Season 1, I wouldn't be surprised if she turns up next Season or later down the road :)