Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Got my "shipped" email from Amazon. I should have it by 8pm today:)

2. DJ Mike

DJ Mike Ensign Red Shirt

Watched BOBW feature-length last night - the quality is breath-taking. Not a single moment in the entire 90 mins that didn't ooze quality. Except for those 3 seconds of SD, of course. :) Which I confess I liked having there as a reminder of just how awesome this remaster is compared to the original!

3. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even though I knew which scene it was that was in SD, I either blinked and missed it, or just didn't pick up on it, so either way not a problem for me.

The overall PQ, as you say, is stunning. The 1701-D in the nebula, and the explosion of the Borg cube at the end of the story, are just breathtakingly good.

Enjoyed the 30 minute retrospective as well, particularly Elizabeth Dennehy's comments, I'm not sure that I've ever heard her discuss the appearance before. The gag reel is about 5 minutes and includes a good few chuckles.

The episode promos, are awful. :lol: So 80s with gravelly-voiced guy in full-on ham-it-up-OTT mode!

Haven't listened to the commentary track yet, maybe tonight.

On the basis of the quality of this release I'll probably commit to buying the future standalone releases. The VAM here is worth the £6 I paid for it.

4. DJ Mike

DJ Mike Ensign Red Shirt

My girlfriend was watching with me... When the enterprise reached the nebula my loud exclaim of "WOW!" was met with one of the most perturbed looks I've ever seen. Although she did agree it was very pretty I think the reason *why* I was so amazed was lost on her! :D

5. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Luckily for me, the wife loves the show every bit as much as I do. That being said she sometimes struggles to see the difference between SD and HD unless it's staring her in the face! :lol:

Usually end up having the BD and the DVD side-by-side. As far as TNG's concerned, the BD and the DVD, are like chalk and cheese.

Loved the final shot of the episode as well, with the Enterprise in Earth orbit. Time for a screen grab and a new desktop wallpaper I think!

6. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Ordered from Amazon last night. Should have mine by next week. Can't wait to see some Season 3 goodness from CBS-D.

7. SillyTilly

SillyTilly Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I've always been a fan of the effect shot in Evolution and it looks even more impressive in HD. Amazing work.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

TNG S3 release day sales ranking at Amazon. Looking good.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  9. Ysmalari

Ysmalari Ensign Red Shirt

My boxset fell through the door yesterday and I watched Evolution and Who Watches the Watchers last night and wow do they look good.
    The beauty passes in Evolution with the light from the stellar matter reflecting off the Enterprise is simply stunning, on that shot alone I think CBS-D have surpassed their season 1 efforts.

I'm looking forward to watching some more this evening.

I also watched the 'Inside the Writer's Room' feature which was lot's of fun and really brings out how much the writer's cared about the show. It also shows just how much of a fan Seth McFarlane is as he reels off episode names after just the briefest of plot synopsis!!

10. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Would be good if Seth McFarlane is the one that reboots TNG.. I realize his expertise is in animated comedy but I think he could do it and do it 'right'.

11. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I doubt TNG will be "rebooted". To the general public, Star Trek is Kirk and Spock.

12. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After reading about the deal at Target, I knew that was where I'd be picking up S3 and BoBW. $65 for both, can't beat it.

I wasn't going to go first-thing. After reading a comment here about their limited stock, and memories of past problems trying to find TNG blurays on release day (even at Best Buy), I decided to hit the store at opening.

Boy, was I glad I did. Got there minutes after the 8 a.m. opening, and there was only one copy of each.

... no, there wasn't a crush of Trekkies that were there before me. The store's entire inventory consisted of ONE copy of each.

Major release, first day, advertised, promotion... and the store gets ONE copy of each?!!?! You gotta be freakin' kidding me.

And on top of that, both had those ridiculous spider cable security things on them. BoBW held up better, but the S3 has some nice dings on both sides. Ugh.

I know the store only had one copy of each because when I asked to get an undamaged copy, two employees scanned them and told me that was all they had.

13. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'm going to hit Best Buy at lunch and see if they'll price match, if not I will go to Target. Although I'll only be able to make it to Target tonight so I might not have any luck there either.

14. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Success at Best Buy!

I know one poster said that they "literally have no way of matching Target's discount", but I watched the cashier manually type in the prices to match the Target deal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Syd

Syd Ensign Newbie

There are quite a few shots & effects that look bad now that I will be interested to see how CBS approach.

There's the shot in Future Imperfect where Riker dissolves from the Enterprise to the Romulan prison which is a very obvious blue screen effects shot, the shots in the Next Phase with Ro running through the walls, the energy aliens in Time's Arrow, the CGI Riker being pulled through the hole in Schisms and who knows what CBS are going to do with the sock puppet aliens in Realm of Fear. It's going to be tough to make them look any scarier. And lets not forget the creature in Aquiel. I will be interested to see how those shots turn out.

16. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

I hear that!

Just got out of Target when they opened, they only had 3 copies of season 3 and BOBW, I grabbed one so 2 more left then they out!

17. BriGuy

Interesting that Aatrek was able to get Best Buy to match not only Target's price but also the $10 discount. If they really were the "best buy," they wouldn't have to do that. Best Buy really screwed up their pricing on this and got owned by Target.

I've watched through The Survivors already. Looks glorious.

And I must comment on how extraordinary an episode The Survivors is, better than the two preceding it IMO.

I'll credit that a lot to the performances put in by John Anderson as Kevin Uxbridge and Anne Haney as Rishon. I pause for a moment to remember them both as they are both deceased. In the story, Kevin made Rishon live again after the attack; with this bluray, we make John and Anne live again.

Apologies if I'm getting too deep.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yup, that's pretty much what I was expecting with Target. If they have any at all, it'll just be a few copies.

19. BriGuy

The store I visited, outside Pittsburgh in Harmar, Pa., had less than a few - ONE of each! Can you believe that?!

I would love for someone who works in inventory/supply control for Target to explain the logic in sending to a store one copy each of two promoted items.

20. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I picked up both at the Cupertino, CA Target at 8:30AM. The price was automatically 64.98 without having to show the promo.

As the others have said, this Target only had TWO copies of each. And one of them was mangled. That's the last time I think it's silly to buy a movie at store opening. Next to it were 20 copies of Silver Linings Playbook.

Oh well.