Saldana: Uhura-Spock

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TrekToday, Mar 1, 2013.

1. TrekToday

TrekToday Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Zoë Saldana spoke briefly recently about Uhura and Spock’s relationship in Star Trek into Darkness. Since the destruction of Vulcan in Star Trek (2009), fans have wondered how that would affect the relationship between the two characters, but according to Saldana, there are other things happening that impact the couple. “They’re figuring things out” said [...]

More...

2. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not really a big fan of the relationship but hopefully it will be dealt with tastefully in the next film.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Love the Spock/Uhura thing.

4. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

where is spock/uhura fan?

she used to be very popular on the site?

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Grey Owl Wizard Premium Member

If I'm not mixing her up with another poster, she seems to have disappeared right when her Enterprise Thread was due to review TATV.

6. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

This. +1 :techman:
    Who could blame her? :devil:

7. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Admiral Admiral

IIRC, Spock/Uhura Fan left when the first trailer for Into Darkness left her underwhelmed.

8. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Spock / Uhura thing is a load of forced melodrama, pandering to a tween audience conditioned to the female lead falling for the emotionally distant handsome male.

It's a lazy attempt at giving the Uhura character a 3rd dimension and probably more insulting to the character than any of the lowest Uhura moments TOS presented us with.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

You guys know that Vulcan and Human sex is awesome right? :devil:

10. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I kind of disagree; I think the writers of trek 09 had an obligation to attract a female audience by putting a romance in the film.

I don’t think the romance in trek was made for the tween audience. The tween audience like the shallow and superficial over the top romance like the horrible twilight films. The romance in trek 09 was very mature and low key.

Also,Uhura just happened to be at the right place at the right time. originally the writers were going to go with Nurse Chapel but they scrapped it because Chapel couldn’t been on the bridge, Chapel belonged in the medical bay which means it would have been very hard to write a romance between spock/chapel in a 2 hour film.

So yeah.... Uhura was at the right place at the right time, it was a lot easier for JJ Abrams and his buddies to write a romance between Uhura/Spock instead of Chapel/Spock . It had nothing to do with upgrading Uhura's character because she did nothing in TOS.

Maybe nurse chapel and Spock would have made more sense ..she was the one crushing on Spock in TOS.

As JJ Abrams is more of a geek nerd than a Jork, JJ Abrams gets to live out his fantasy through uhura/spock. JJ said he paired them together because he did not like the idea of how the handsome hero which in Star Trek is Kirk always gets the girl. He wanted a nerd (in other words some one like himself) to get the girl instead.

I also disagree with it been forced.. a romatic pairing been forced is mostly subject to the actors performance in the film. Perfect examples are: Hayden Christensen and Nataile Portman or Rob Pattinson and Kristen Stewart.

Zoe Saldana and Zachary Quinto make a very good pair and are both good actors. In fact the whole cast blended together well. Nothing about TREK 09 was forced.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  11. Shazam!

¯\(°_o)/¯

If they were obligated, by definition their hand was forced to some degree.

12. Happy Xmas (War Is Over)

Happy Xmas (War Is Over) Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Isn't that at the core of Spocks appeal to many in the female audience and the basis of more than one TOS episode?

13. Shazam!

As a by-product of the character, possibly, but the stoic outsider getting the girl is as cliché and tired today as your lantern jawed hero getting the girl has ever been.

Any Spock / Uhura inference in TOS is lucky coincidence. It's not even something I EVER saw brought up until post Trek XI

There was probably enough Kirk / Uhura interaction in TOS as well if you looked for it. Heck, even the Uhura / Scotty stuff in the movies was BLATANT.

14. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Did you really expect Star Trek to come up with a completely new approach to love stories? Of course it's all been done before.

15. Shazam!

Oh, well that's okay then.

16. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

And, exactly HOW would you know that??

17. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Nope.... I flat out disagree; the stoic character that gets the girl is not clihe because it hardly ever happens. What is clihe is the pretty boy always getting the girl

You obviously no nothing about romance. ....

The most clihe aspect of a romance plot is the popular pretty boy and pretty girl living happily ever after without little effort or getting together with no real legitimate reason asides from that fact that both of them are pretty.

Those are the clihe romance that appeal to teen girls. the romance in star trek 09 or even in any of JJ Abrams movies and tv shows are nothing like that.

18. Shazam!

Twilight says hi.

I guess I don't. My understanding was that it's between compatible individuals with mutual likes and dislikes and a basic aesthetic appreciation of one and other on a superficial and / or chemical level coupled with an appropriate balance of intellectual stimulus based on ideology and humour.

I now know that's it nothing more than hot people hooking up. Thanks!

19. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

"They're kissing again! Do we HAVE to hear the kissing parts?"

20. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

No you don’t understand romance, which is fine...you are a guy. Romance is not really a guy thing and since Hollywood is as superficial as ever, most of the recent romantic films in Hollywood is all about sex and lust. It makes sense for you to describe romance as noting more than a hook up between 2 people.

This is one of the main reasons why JJ Abrams didn’t want to pair kirk/uhura in the first place.Kirk in star trek 2009 is the embodiment of all thing sex and lust in other words the cliché romance. When Kirk first meets uhura in the bar all he wants to do is sleep with her.

I don’t think that is the way Spock behaves and no it’s not because he is Vulcan. Am sure there are some vulcans that think it is logical to experiment with sex.
    Spock just seems to be more level-headed and focused so if he were to date anyone, he probably won’t date a girl like Galia who is the female version of Kirk.
    (Galia was the green girl...Uhura’s roommate)

Also again look at Uhura’s statement to kirk. To her, Kirk is a farm boy that likes to have sex with farm animals.

I for one thought that was quite a nasty and bitchy comment but it was metaphorically true. Uhura, despite acting like a bitch knew that guys like kirk only wants to get into her pants. she immediately turns him down because she is not that type of girl. she want a more serious person in other words a guy like Spock.

This is perhaps the most important reason why the Spock/Uhura romance is not a cliché. It was a very well done romance.

I also do not like the Twilight series ....So I wont be saying hello.