ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Mar 4, 2012.

1. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It also doesn't help that "iPhone" design language is the go-to default for hack design, which is especially sad considering that Mac's product design is lifted wholesale from 1960's Braun electronics.

Robocop lampooned 80's product design aesthetics, not ripped them off. There's a huge difference between the two; effort and hair-pulling.

2. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

More pics:

http://news.doddleme.com/news-room/robocop-remake-new-pics-and-video-released/

I would've preferred that they kept more of the iconic design look form the original - as has been mentioned previously, compared to the movies it starred in, it's relatively timeless. Still, I can see the need for a sleeker, more mobile look, since I don't think we can believe slow 1970s dancing Robocop anymore. I just wish it didn't look so Halo / Batsuit / Kamen Rider generic.

Mark

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

4. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I'm starting to think that "man in a suit" is actually the precise aesthetic they're going for, in that it de-emphasizes that the whole RoboCop procedure they're trying to market to law enforcement is actually a one-way street, and there's no going back from it. Omnicorp is trying to say that the humanity is still maintained -- after all, a touch from a "human" hand is one of the most meaningful gestures there is, and there is more emotion and expression conveyed via touch than a mouth that has the rest of the head concealed by a helmet.

5. Samurai8472

^That's what they're going for and I've mentioned it in the past(The exposed hand)

The "product" angle will be heavy. He get's upgrades like an Ipod.

In the promotional video one of the crew said 'Every kid is gonna wanna play with robocop'

He'll be heavily promoted to the public with a human face and hand(or cybernetic hand with heat running through it)

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Now that would be more like it. Especially the man integrated in a robot part. Elbows and torso sell that idea. They could have some moving parts and some see through bits added in post with that.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

So the criminals made fun of that suit, but were somehow more intimidated by the black rubber Batman suit? Yeah... right.

8. Samurai8472

^Apparently from the rumored script leak

http://screenrant.com/robocop-2013-script-details-review/

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks intimidating to me, at least.

10. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds like a bit of a cliche joke already done in other remakes and adaptations. However the 80's looking suit is far better than that black crap.

11. Samurai8472

It's all part of the company's effort to give robocop a good image. Rumor has it he just tasers criminals for a majority of the movie

12. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As much as I hate to say this (and as two-faced as this sounds); that's too much like the original suit and still reads visually as a god-damned Robo-repaint of some other franchise's robot suit.

It smacks of design by committee in the real world, rather than a setting that hyper-emphasizes the characteristics of said world for narrative and contextual effect, which is what people mean when they point out that the original films robots were lampooning 80s aesthetics.

If they had gone for a true adaptation of 1980's product design, ED-209 would look like this. Both are clearly children of 1980s industrial design, and both embody the same insane over-qualification for their intended tasks (the Abrams admittedly does so in hindsight, but who really needs tanks when you have nuclear weapons, though that's another barrel drum of fish entirely,) yet only one of those visually communicates that fact without requiring the viewer to know the operational or technical details of said design.

Take a wild guess.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  13. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really hope you were just being facetious and not trying to make a credible argument there. :vulcan:

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

16. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I think an R rating was the last beacon of hope that this movie had. I'm one of the few people who enjoys Robocop 3, but that's because we still get Robocop being somewhat Robocop-y.

With the remake, since it's all pretty much new (and looks kind of shitty) I think the only thing we could have said was "Yeah but at least it's incredibly violent."

Now we can't even say that.

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

It's looking more and more like it's just going to be another one of those generic scifi action movies like I, Robot or the Total Recall remake-- lots of action and CG effects, but no edge whatsoever.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if last year's ultra-violent and badass Dredd ends up feeling more like a Robocop movie than this Robocop remake does!

(And yes I'm aware Robocop was inspired in part by Dredd, so no need for a history lesson from anyone out there) ;)

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I love it when they remake Verhoeven films in PG-13. :rolleyes:
    When will they make the PG-13 Basic Instinct?

19. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I like the look of ED-209 but it's slightly too "bad ass" looking for the clumsy over-designed, under-thought, piece of junk it's supposed to be.