RLM finally did it / Plinkett reviews Star Trek

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Char Aznable, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Re: RLM finally did it.

This is exactly how I feel when I think about the movie as a Trek movie. Fortunately, I can turn off that part of my brain.

*puts in trekspeak*

I can just ignore it like Data ignores emotions by turning off his emotion chip.

That should do it...

Red Letter Media/Mr Plinkett is spot on. If they'd made the movie to pander to you and me it would have been a critical and commercial failure and killed the Star Trek franchise outright for at LEAST 40 years. That is until someone comes along and does what this film did only with no care to the previous fans. Then we really would have got an incomprehensible slock of shit, fortunately for them, 70% of fans would be dead/dying/too old to give a shit by that point in their lives.

Again, the trekspeak.

Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combination's. It's what has, and always will keep Trek from dying.

2. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I know this is something a mod should be saying, but what the hell. This is not the thread for posting one's own critique about the movie. It's a thread for discussing someone else's critique about the movie. I love that retro 'lobby' music too (I tend to dig old timey movie things), but him singing over it in his stupid 'old man' voice was a bit annoying.

3. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Oh I agree completely, I was just attempting to bring the BLIND RAEG!!!!! back on topic. :)

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

He also called it "lazy" and "crap". Besides, did he think the Mirror Universe was the only parallel timeline? And just because there maybe be infinitely more timelines, it doesn't make anyone's actions any less important. As Einstein or whoever says, everything we do is meaningless in the long run, but it's vital that we do it anyway.

5. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hah, I caught this yesterday. It kind of sums up why I enjoyed the movie at first but can't stand to watch it on multiple viewings. That weird "Good -> Bad -> Good" scale is a perfect explanation, in that it sits next to First Contact as an "entertaining yet vapid" film.

6. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I'm confused: bearcat`, have you ever seen any Star Trek before? :confused:

Well, that's good, because that's exactly what happens in one episode of TNG. ;)

7. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

One thing about his reviews is that they have an edge. He sounds friendlier and more boisterous here, but he still has the edge. He tones down the killer motif in a logical way, which is to say that he didn't get rid of it completely, and he allows himself to still act a bit unstable.

Good job, Mike

8. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought his approach was novel, but there was one review where he lingered a little too long on the hooker in the basement pleading for her life and it went (for me) from being funny to amusing to weird to uncomfortable as the scene dragged on and on.

The pleasant thing about his approach is that, in addition to his gimmick, he's put serious thought into his reviews and he's often shed new light on old films. He's a clever fellow.

I just wanna know what's holding up the pizza rolls. Hopefully they'll get here in time for part IV of Starship Exeter.

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

"Don't forget to vulcanize your nacelle" is my new most favorite term ever.

10. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    "My favorite Star Trek movie is The Motion Picture. Yeah, the boring one." :lol:

11. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

It was alright, but he was far too kind to the film.

12. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bones ... I would love to read your take on Trek 2009. Could you please link to it? And if you haven't, consider this a fan request for one of your Doctor Who style reviews.

13. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No.

14. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Is it just one guy? I was under the impression that Harvey Plinkett was a nom de internet for a team of people behind these reviews.

15. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, there is probably just one dude who actually does the voiceovers for these reviews, so he's Plinkett, and RedLetterMedia is the team that does the research and production for the reviews.

16. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Yes.

17. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Is this the first time he's ever liked a movie? I haven't seen all of them, but I don't remember him ever liking a movie before. And yes, they're more entertaining when he hates the movie. If only the TNG cast had made one more for him to eviscerate.

18. Cher

Cher Ensign Newbie

He was ok with Avatar. I don't think he thought it was the masterpiece everyone else thought it was.

I liked the review. I had the same problem with the convenience of Kirk being on the same ice planet as Scotty & Old Spock.

But Chris Pine is so hot, the movie could be about nothing and I would still watch. :drool:

19. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: RLM finally did it.

Too bad Jennifer Morrison is actually a beautiful young woman. It's not Kirk's wife that's the problem here, it's bearcat`s taste in women. ;) I'm younger than George Kirk, and I still wouldn't mind to take his place next to her.

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Jennifer did look a bit rough in her scenes, though. The harsh make-up and lighting probably added to that (and I don't think she looks good as a blonde) and, well, then there's the whole "she was giving birth at the time" thing. ;)