RIP Frederik Pohl (1919-2013)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Sir Rhosis, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

Nov 17, 2001
    Cincinnati, OH
  2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

May 26, 2002

That is terrible.

I was just discussing his blog yesterday.
  3. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Sep 14, 2003
    Beach condo, Bay of Eldamar
    Dammit... :( Loved the Heechee books, and just read The Coming of the Quantum Cats last yer and thoroughly enjoyed it.
  4. auntiehill

auntiehill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Feb 7, 2006
    Hill for Hill
    At the age of 94? Wow. What a long life and long career he had. We should all be so lucky.

5. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nov 30, 2009
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Awww :( Guess it's time to read the Gateway Saga.
  6. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Dec 5, 2007
    Between the candle and the flame
    One of my favorites.

7. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Moderator

Nov 30, 2001
    Bonney Lake, WA
    I read two of the Heechee books back in elementary school. Not sure if I ever read the third.
  8. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

May 26, 2007
    In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with him at a convention in Calgary some years back. He was a perfect gentleman.
  9. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mar 8, 2001
    Kaled bunker, Skaro
    An icon of the genre. RIP.

He taught me how to really count on my fingers.
  10. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Captain Premium Member

Oct 13, 2004
    I had the privilege of chauffeuring Mr. Pohl during one of the BYU science fiction symposiums in the mid-80's (probably 1984 or '85, judging from the publication dates in the autographed copies of his books I have.)

I drove him to the airport in Salt Lake City (a 40-ish mile drive from Provo) to pick up his wife, Elizabeth Ann Hull, who came in on a later flight. We chatted about lots of stuff -- I remember discussing the New Wave band Icicle Works, which appropriated its name from one of his classic stories ("The Day the Icicle Works Closed"). But what I mostly remember is how excited he was to see Betty, as they were fairly recent newlyweds at the time. He was like a teenager, even though I thought he was impossibly old -- He was probably only 65 or 66! From my lofty vantage point of 24 or 25, that was ANCIENT! Nowadays, not so much...

Anyway, I will always treasure that memory. Rest in peace, and thanks for all the great stories.
  11. Australis

Australis Writer Admiral

Mar 12, 2005
    Well, he had a good run. But he'll be missed.

Thought Gateway was pretty damn good. And the stuff he wrote with Kornbluth.