Rewatching Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by tomalak301, Apr 1, 2016.

1. locutus101

locutus101 Vice Admiral Rear Admiral

And it's not like the 100 plus of them has so much to do. Hell they even waste manpower carrying pads on foot from one place to another. Can't they just use their computer?

2. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

The thing is...the Doctor IS the backup.

3. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

Didn't Tom mention somewhere that Samantha Wildman took one of his shifts? Or was that in a book?

I worked at a Scout Camp for a couple of summers and every single person on that staff was trained in First Aid and CPR. We always had a professional EMT (sometimes we had a nurse) on staff but sometimes the campers would be hiking off in the woods somewhere so we all had to be certified.
    I also 'seem' to remember Worf mentioning that he had to take some kind of medic training at the Academy that included the delivery of a human infant. I can't remember the name of the episode but it was the one where he delivered Keiko's baby.

4. locutus101

Yes, when Jadzia is shot, worf is able to diagnose her state and give her proper care.

5. Sophie74656

I'm assuming in starfleet academy they get a basic first aid course. In Extreme Risk Janeway said B'Elanna's injuries that she treated herself were treated by someone with the knowledge of a first year medical student. So I always took that to mean that they received a basic course.

6. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After four years on a ship with no (living) certified medical personnel; you would think they'd be able to at least program another hologram, if not certify a few of the crew to be able to assist the Doctor in emergency/triage situations.

7. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

First aid/EMT/Paramedic is a long way from a fully qualified surgeon.
    And yes, I recall Harry Kim trying to program a new holographic doctor in "Message In A Bottle".
    The execution of that scene was great, the premise was awful. If you can create a holographic replica of a top-notch xenobiologist just by spending 5 minutes of instruction with the holodeck computer, surely it would be even faster to generate a duplicate EMH, even if it doesn't have any of the memories of the "original".

8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was it 1st year medical student or first year cadet? Because, there is a difference for what they will have learned.

9. Thomas Eugene

Thomas Eugene Commodore Commodore

"The Doctor says many of the wounds were treated by someone with the medical expertise of a first-year nursing student."
    What is a nursing student? I guess he/she is not a doctor-to-be.

10. Sophie74656

No they wouldn't. That was the point of the EMH. He was a product of many years of development.

11. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Spirit Folk

This episode sucks. There's nothing else to it other than that. It might be the second worst episode of Star Trek in the franchise.

Ashes to Ashes

This episode was slightly better, but it doesn't leave very much to scrutiny. I think the episode would have been more meaningful had it been Kes who came back here instead of in Fury. Then it would have been more meaningful and we were already familiar to the character. I was thinking maybe even Ensign Jetal would have been brought back, which would have made even more sense. Not only would Jetal come back, but what would that do to The Doctor, who had a conflict during that episode.

With what we got, it wasn't too bad. It is an interesting thought (though I don't believe it) of what if a reincarnated self remembers a past life. It was interesting to see this conflict in Ballard and how it was resolved in the end. As for the B storyline, I'm actually enjoying this stuff with the Borg kids watching these episodes close together. I really like Mesoti and she was fun here. Also, is it just me or has Seven of Nine become Naomi's mother. Samantha is nowhere to be found anymore.

Child's Play

Now this episode I really like. Icheb has always been kind of the surrogate leader of the borg kids and I really liked the idea of him returning home and how that affected Seven of Nine. We see Seven really be passionate for Icheb's well being and I loved the scene between her and Janeway when she flat out said how this affected her and having to watch her parents be assimilated. In terms of the ending, that could be a nice debate too. Did the parents have the right to genetically engineer thier son as a weapon against the Borg and did Voyager have the right to interfere. We see at the beginning of the episode how resourceful and carious Icheb is, and how he does have a bright future. It's because of that I actually agree with Voyager rescuing him. He's been allowed to flourish on the ship. Should that be taken away from him again for a society that so willingly wanted to give him up to protect their own?

These episodes were kind of a bump in the road for season 6 tonight. I have to say Child's Play is a bright spot in a sea of mediocrity.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  12. locutus101

Spirit Folks:
    Aka let's make a program that will try to kill us but please don't turn it off because it might deprive the captain of her simulated boyfriend.:lol:

stardream likes this.
  13. tomalak301

When you put it that way, it makes it worse. :lol:

Good Shepherd

I'm a fan of lower decks type episodes, and while this is not as good as "Lower Decks", I still really enjoyed it. From the scene where the crewman takes the pad down to section 15 and then it pans out and you see where it is at the very bottom of the ship to Janeway going down there and asking for directions, this was a great episode dealing with some really interesting people. However, this episode really deserved a follow up of some kind. What happened to Telfer and his Hypochondria, or Harmin and his crappy attitude. I also really liked Celes as probably the most interesting of the three lower deck crewmembers. It's a shame we will go back to the regular cast in the next episode, but I really want to see these crew members again. I also wonder if they should have tried to get one of the Maquis from Learning Curve, to at least allow the show some kind of continuity. Maybe Dolby would have been the better Harmin character, since the two in terms of personality are similar.

14. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spirit Folk.
    Janeway: I've got a boyfriend who malfunctions. *face palm*

It's a guilty pleasure of mine to watch this episode even if it's dumb on every level she wanted the fantasy of being discovered as a Captain over her crew's lives. Good thing these character has the speed of a turtle when it came to killing. It allowed the team to save the day. *eye roll*

15. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

I like the premise of Spirit Folk. It's from the point of view of the Holographic Character who have an awareness that something is going on. Apart from that...

Yes, why not bring back Ensign Jetrel? The audience already had a bit of a connection to her. And yes, it could have added some good Doctor angst.

The Borg Kids were ok. Icheb was fine. I never had much o a problem with them.
    Why do people insist on living in dangerous places? If I knew my homeworld was just a stone's throw from a Borg conduit I'd be out of there. That's one of many reasons why I live where I do. Quiet weather.

I think the supporting actors saved The Good Shepherd personally. It was an interesting idea but the writing was weak. The actors made something of it.

16. locutus101

I liked the hypochondriac.

17. Sophie74656

I guess I'm the only one who liked Spirit Folk

18. locutus101

I guess so.

19. tomalak301

It seemed like Star Trek was saying overall there's no place like home. I agree with you though. If I was an easy target for the Borg I would probably relocate too.

20. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On the other hand, they were dang motivated to find a way to destroy them, weren't they? the method did some serious damage when Icheb was first assimilated. Now if they could have found a better option rather than birthing children on purpose to deploy the weapon.