Revisiting ST-TNG...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Warped9, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Hmm...does anyone know if they had ever considered doing a Mirror Universe episode for TNG like they did eventually for DS9? I know there was a book, but that doesn't really count.

I'm just trying to imagine the TNG characters being dark... Maybe they have a habit of not saying "please" and "thank you." What could Troi possibly be like in the Mirror Universe? :lol: Or Crusher? :lol: Or any of them? :lol:

Phoenix219 likes this.
  2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

There was at least one story for it, don't recall the plot...to me if they didn't satisfactorily tie up the Spock story then it wasn't worth bothering...also, I had a feeling the producers thought the pirate aspect of the Mirror universe was probably too "silly" or melodramatic.

RAMA

3. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The crew of the ISS Enterprise, NCC-1701/C

JEAN LUC PICARD - The illustrious commander of the Terran Imperial Starfleet's last great Galaxy-Class Dreadnought. Where our Picard is warm and gentle, this one is cold and hard, where ours would quotes Shakespeare, this one quotes Machiavelli.

Maybe his uniform could have some nifty Napoleonic accoutrements. It would go smashingly with one of those gold sashes.

COMMANDER SHELBY - Just as ambitious as the regular Shelby. This one decided to upstage Riker with a knife, instead of with her service to the ship and crew.

LORE - Operations officer. Because it's the mirror universe. Having Data wouldn't be as cool.

TASHA YAR - Less dead. Way way more extreme and violent. Generally regarded to be the captain's personally groomed killing machine.

GENERAL WORF - Picard's archnemesis, leading a pack of Alliance ships. Wheras our Worf is a centered being with a sense of duty and honor, this Worf is narrow-minded and ill-tempered. His ruthlessness and vision would prove integral to his ascension to Regent.

DEANNA TROI - Political officer. Obviously. With all the backstabbers and greedy self-serving crewmembers, somebody's gotta keep them in line. Who better than a telepath (she's been artificially augmented with implants and training to pick up more than the usual empathy stuff).

BEVERLY CRUSHER - Gettin' horizantal with the captain after-hours. ;)

GEORDI LA FORGE - Abandoned by his parents when they learned he was blind. Not living a good life, and definitley not on the Enterprise.

REGINALD BARCLAY - The Enterprise's neurotic, dangerously paranoid chief engineer.

JANE SMITH (RO LAREN) - A Bajoran infiltrator disguised as a Terran officer, inserted by the Alliance. As the Enterprise's navigator, she has access to some veeeery interesting stuff.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Where? In Sins of the Father, Reunion, Redemption, Birthright, Rightful Heir??? They became by far the most explored race in ST history?? Worf, Keh'lar, Kern, Lursa, Be'tor, Gowron, and of course Duras...all the supporting characters, each with their own motivations, often not having to do much with the central interests of the Klingon empire. It was Shakespearean in scale.

RAMA

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd watch. :lol:

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I think I will save a real re-visit for myself for when the STNG-R comes out. I've never gone through ANY ST series from first episode to last, and that will be a first. Perhaps some episodes will be improved. :-)

RAMA

7. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

DItto! :bolian:

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Folks here may be aware that I'm presently revisiting TOS and I'm currently nearing the midpoint of its third season. Awile and somewhere upthread here someone inquired about comparing what I find with TOS with what I found in TNG in terms of rating.

Well at this point I can only look at TOS' first two seasons, but lets take a look anyway.

Seasonal comparisons:

Good to Excellent
    TNG Season 1 = 16% (4 episodes)
    TNG Season 2 = 40.9% (9 episodes)
    TNG Season 3 = 42.3% (11 episodes)
    TNG Season 4 = 42.3% (11 episodes)
    TNG Season 5 = 34.6% (9 episodes)
    TNG Season 6 = 30.7% (8 episodes)
    TNG Season 7 = 15.3% (4 episodes)
    TOS Season 1 = 82.7% (24 episodes)
    TOS Season 2 = 61.5% (16 episodes)

Fair
    TNG Season 1 = 36% (9 episodes)
    TNG Season 2 = 22.7% (5 episodes)
    TNG Season 3 = 30.7% (8 episodes)
    TNG Season 4 = 26.9% (7 episodes)
    TNG Season 5 = 34.6% (9 episodes)
    TNG Season 6 = 34.6% (9 episodes)
    TNG Season 7 = 34.6% (9 episodes)
    TOS Season 1 = 17.2% (5 episodes)
    TOS Season 2 = 26.9% (7 episodes)

Poor to Bad
    TNG Season 1 = 48% (12 episodes)
    TNG Season 2 = 36.3% (8 episodes)
    TNG Season 3 = 26.9% (7 episodes)
    TNG Season 4 = 30.7% (8 episodes)
    TNG Season 5 = 30.7% (8 episodes)
    TNG Season 6 = 34.6% (9 episodes)
    TNG Season 7 = 50% (13 episodes)
    TOS Season 1 = 0% (0 episodes)
    TOS Season 2 = 11.5% (3 episodes)

Granted it has to be acknowledged that I'm primarily a TOS fan and it's my favourite Trek series. Still I did work my way through TNG and found quite a bit of it that I enjoyed. That said I do find this interesting.

First season TOS batted it out of the park and no season of TNG, not even the high water seasons three and four, could match TOS' first season in terms of the percentage of Good-Excellent episodes. And even though TOS slips in some measure in its second season that, too, still exceeded any of TNG's seasons in terms of Good-Excellent episodes. Also note that TOS' second season was equal in length (episode wise) to the average TNG season (26 episodes).

In terms of Fair rated episodes first season TOS had fewer than any season of TNG with TNG Season 2 coming closest. TOS' second season fared a bit worse and matches TNG's fourth season.

In terms of Poor-Bad episodes TOS does very well again because I didn't find any of TOS' first season episodes to be Poor or Bad and second season had very few real disappointments. And no TNG season came close to having similarly few disappointing episodes.

Of course, I've yet to finish TOS' Season 3 and to see what awaits there.

And, really, it all doesn't matter much because it really depends on what you like.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Nothing surprising there.

I like to compare season 4 of STNG with season 1 of TOS, these two are my 2 favorite ST seasons (with season 4 of ENT right there close by and DS9 season 6) there are only two "bad" episodes from each of these seasons in my book, and both have 9 5-star episodes. Very comparable in quality to me. I also like to compare 5-star eps overall...14 for TOS total (none in season 3) and 48 for STNG(season 2 has only 3 5-star eps). That's 17.5% to STNG's 27%.

RAMA

10. evilnate

evilnate Commodore Commodore

I know this is going back quite a bit in this thread, but I've been doing my own re-watch of TNG and just got done watching this two-parter. Can anyone explain why it was important that the Romulans use Vulcan ships for their invasion force? Everyone knew that the ships were coming from Romulus; Holo-Spock even said it in his fake speech. Wouldn't it have made more sense for the Romulans to use Romulan ships, and somehow hidden their troops on board. Also, 2000 troops to occupy an entire planet? I know that the Romulans are more war-like than the peaceful Vulcans, but really - we wouldn't send 2000 troops to occupy an island these days.

I remember thinking these things when the episode first aired, but with this recent re-watch, I was really struck by how much the whole "stolen ship" subplot was just a poorly writen reason to keep Riker and the Enterprise in the story.

I did like the scene between Spock and Data, as well as the way Picard handled the Klingon to get the Bird-of-Prey.

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Well, mileage will vary depending on the driver. :lol:

Although the final tally isn't in yet for TOS I'm guessing that the number of Good-Excellent episodes for TOS over its three seasons won't be far different than the number of such episodes for TNG over its seven seasons. For me that boils down to TOS having a better batting average overall during its run.

12. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, remember, Spock went 'off script' - so we don't know what the Romulans had originally written for him regarding the ships - perhaps they were going to have Spock say he'd traveled to Romulus from Vulcan with his own diplomatic envoys or something on board them, and was returning home. I think the point was, the Romulans didn't want the ships surrounded by military troops when they landed; and as the ships were Vulcan, they thought the Vulcans would think they couldn't be a threat in any sense.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

BOBW alert on BBC America tonight. I know we all HAVE it but hell, it'll be hard to turn the channel if I'm watching TV later.

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

And so I've finished my revisit of TOS.

Next stop: TAS

15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I noticed--despite the claim of "objectiveness"--this sort of statement about 47 times in this long thread..In fact I could start and carry on a whole thread with such quotes.!

:lol:

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Big deal. I was going by what I remembered after not seeing the season for a very long time.

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I was copying and saving parts of two revisit threads, and the sheer number of times it occurs is much more apparent with an overview.

RAMA

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I find it hard to believe I said that 47 times.

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Of course, it was a slight exaggeration for effect, I didn't really take the time to count them.

RAMA

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Damn, I rock! That was way before an official announcement..cocky.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=159370&page=5