Revisiting Arrested Development

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by tomalak301, Apr 25, 2013.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

We just re-signed up for netflix and I've decided (To honor the fact that new episodes will arrive and then a movie) to revisit Arrested Development. This is considered by many to be one of the greatest sitcoms of all time (People always blame Fox for the cancellation of Firefly, yet when they cancelled AD, I was more upset about that) and I rewatched the first two episodes tonight.

I'm sure I'll really get into it as the series goes on, but right now I think I like Parks and Recreation better. Of course I'm only two episodes into AD and I've seen all of Parks, so that will change. I will say though that AD is as funny as I remember it, even if I'm not at the point where it get's really good.

So what are everyone's thoughts on this show? Are you looking forward to the new episodes and then the movie? Also, as an aside, I'm looking for new things now that I have Netflix Instant. Any good recommendations?

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Season 3 was godawful but I think the rest of it is full of wonderfully charming chemistry and wit. I'm not really caring about new eps because of the season 3 disappointment but who knows. Absolutely Fabulous was just as absolutely fabulous after a long hiatus.

And one of my favorite characters ever Lucille Bluth who I could watch all day..

[​IMG]

3. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope Franklin comes back. :lol:

4. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been rewatching the DVDs, and I'm just about done with the first season now. It is just as hilarious as always, and I'm still discovering new jokes that I missed the first couple of times around! Actually I think I've seen the whole series a total of 3 times now, so this is my 4th time.

The only plot I really didn't care for was the whole British thing, and anything with Kitty. Besides that I am still loving the show and looking forward to the new episodes. I saw an outtake from the upcoming season and it was disturbingly hilarious.

Here it is: http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/25/arrested-development-buster-lucille/

5. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

You can watch it 1,000 times and still discover new jokes.

I just hope the new season and film are as good as the old series. Sometimes shows that come back from the dead have a weird reuniony feel.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

The unedited pilot on the Season One DVD set is far stronger than the edited version that aired on Fox and streamed on Netflix.

7. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

Steve Holt!

8. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I recently completed a rewatch (didn't take that long, considering how few episodes there were) and I agree with Third Nacelle, you can always find new jokes. I catch something new everytime I rewatch.

I think part of the problem with season 3 is that they knew they were about to get cancelled, so they had to shoehorn in some type of resolution. I don't think they ever planned on ending the Bluth family's legal troubles. Based purely on the season 3 finale (and the promo pics that were released), I would say that Season 4 is going to focus on Lucille being in jail/house arrest, but you never know.

9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

AD is one of those shows I've really wished I could get into, but can't. Something about the style of the writing doesn't resonate with me.

I see it this way, the same way South Park is 'Smart stupidity', AD is 'Stupid smartness'.

10. DanCPA

DanCPA Admiral Admiral

I'm going to re-sign with Netflix... but that's the day before AD comes out.

AD is hilarious!

11. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I give FOX credit though. They kept it on for three seasons, hoping the critical success would turn into numbers. And it never did.

I'm very excited about the new season...

12. tighr

They did their typical Fox-isms to the show, though. It was moved around the schedule, changed timeslots, and the finale aired a month and a half after the 9th episode of that season, and this was after having skipped sweeps earlier in the season; the final 4 episodes aired as a block opposite the opening ceremonies for the 2006 Winter Olympics, so many fans didn't even get to see them.

Season 2 was cut down to 18 from 22, Season 3 was cut down to 13 from 22. This has the effect of screwing with the writer's plots, because they're unable to develop the stories they want to develop, resulting in fans thinking that Season 3 had lower quality than previous seasons. That's just from the accelerated timescale that things had to happen in the final season. That's why it seems like they jump from the British plot directly to wrapping up various storylines very quickly.

13. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Sure. They moved it around. They had a critical hit on their hands but no one was watching. What should they have done? Nothing? At least by moving it maybe they could've found the right night for it.

It was on for three seasons. And it was never a hit. That's the reality. It may have found its audience now. But, FOX gave it three years.

Better than 9 episodes, yeah?

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I hope not, they'd just be repeating themselves and I'm not sure they can top the George Bluth in prison episodes.

"No touching!"

15. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

I hope Lucille's ankle monitor doesn't interfere with her Motherboy XXXVIII costume too much.

16. Spot's Meow

I just rewatched the season 2 episode "Good Grief," where George Michael is hiding his grandfather in the attic but Michael thinks he's hiding Ann. The best part was when George Michael finally confessed, "I have pop-pop in the attic" and Michael replies with "the mere fact you call making love pop-pop shows me you're not ready." I was laughing so hard I had to pause the show. Isn't this show wonderful? :lol:

17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been watching a lot of AD this weekend (Might be able to finish Season 1 tonight) and something I noticed was the number of guest stars this season had. In the last few episodes alone we've had Jane Lynch (Probably before she got famous with 40 Year Old Virgin), Julia Louis Dryfus (To me, she's either Elaine or Salina Mayer, so it was weird to see her on this show in a pretty funny role so far) and Heather Graham. Not only that, but Liza Minelli and Harry Wrinkler has had recurring roles through this season too.

As for Season 1 overall, there's been a ton of stuff happening in only 16 episodes so far. Where I'm at now feels like the beginning of the season was a long time ago. It's been hilarious though and looking forward to finally getting around to seeing Season 2.

18. Spot's Meow

I just started season 3, and even though I'm only three episodes in, it already has a different feel to it than the first two seasons. The jokes are more explicitly sexual (as opposed to hinting at it) and some of the dialogue just feels...different. Not necessarily worse, just not the same anymore. I still enjoy the show though.

19. tighr

Yeah, the amount of guest stars was huge, and there's even more in seasons 2 and 3. Charlize Theron, Andy Richter (x5), Judge Reinhold (with a hilarious tie-in), Scott Baio, Zach Braff, Thomas Jane... just off the top of my head!!

20. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The new season will also have a huge number of guest stars.