References to other Trek MASSIVE SPOILERS!!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by USS KG5, May 10, 2013.

1. imranbecks

imranbecks Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just finished watching it again and noticed a reference to the Enterprise-E...

On Qo'noS, during the scene when Uhura is speaking with the Klingon, the big circular orange backdrop looks suspiciously like the main deflector dish of the Enterprise-E.

2. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

As the shuttles are tumbling from their perches, I could see the number of one of the shuttles. It was 7, which was the number used for the Galileo in the original series and in the next generation.

Among the models in the display, there was the Wright Flyer.

3. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It actually reminded me of the big reveal of Shinzon in Nemesis.

4. imranbecks

Not so much. Similar though. But it was the deflector dish that caught my eye..haha.. Watch that scene closely and you can basically see the set which looks like the main deflector dish of the Ent-E. Its as though its the same set Paramount used for the deflector dish scene in First Contact...

5. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the ship they took to Kronos, the yellowish circle on the consoles looked like the old astrogation disc on the center helm of the original enterprise.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They did this in the last movie too, but the TOS computer sounds! I had a big grin on my face as the father sent his message to Admiral Marcus and the computer made all the 60's-style bleeps and bloops. All that was missing was the typewriter noise!

7. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They had tons of the classic sound effects... turbolift, the sickbay computer sounds, the brig ambient noise was from the series, computers, the communicator call sound and chirp, the tricorder. McCoy's medical equipment had some original sound effects with it. The Tribble :p,

Speaking of the tricorder, it was a mini version of the original.

I think I already mentioned Obsession and Kirk's reaction to Pike's death was similar to how Kirk felt about the death of Capt. Garrovick on the Farragut which led to his obsession to get the creature when the Enterprise encountered it.

The warp effect was a combination of TMP / TNG. Also when the Enterprise dropped out of warp, and then later was taken out of warp when it was attacked reminded me a little of the wormhole from TMP.

When you first see Scotty on the Vengeance, it was sort of like the scene when Scotty is on the Excelsior in Trek 3.

I also like how in most of the fight scenes they are staged like the old fights on the show.

-Chris

8. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Scotty calling Kirk "Jim" throughout the film was a nice call back to the Kirk/Scott relationship in the Prime Universe.

The Ketha Province is where Martok is from in the Prime Universe. (The Ketha Lowlands). Presumably it is uninhabitable because of the premature Praxis explosion.

Quite a bit of Ent, TOS and DS9 references. Anything overt from TNG or VOY outside of the Phoenix?

9. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

San Francisco nightclub scene with Scotty and his sidekick. There was a woman who looked like Caithlin Dar from The Final Frontier. Her hairdo looked familiar.
    :)

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

YES I noticed that hair!

And it's Caithlin Dar :D

11. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Fixed. ;)

Now what about McCoy "operating" on those torpedoes? I thought that was an homage to The Undiscovered Country.

12. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Well, even in the Prime timeline Richard Daystrom had revolutionized 23rd century computer technology within the Federation by inventing duotronics, which he did at the young age of 24 in the year 2243.

Even in the Prime timeline Daystrom was an established and known name by the time TOS rolls around given how quickly and easily Kirk and Spock rattle off information about him and know about his more recent computer developments. It's no stretch to think that Abramsverse Dr. Daystrom could have been famous enough by that particular 2259-60 timeframe to have a building complex named after him.

13. imranbecks

A reference to the Enterprise-E main deflector dish on Qo'noS?

[​IMG]

14. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

No. it's just JJ Abrams' fondness of the Beastie Boys.

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suspect the USS Vengeance crushing Alcatraz is a reference to Abrams' TV series of the same name being cancelled after it's first season.

16. imranbecks

Haha.. Possibly.. I never did got around to watching that series.. Its cancelled?

It even has Alcatraz written on it...

[​IMG]

17. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Khan crashing the Vengeance into San Francisco Bay is clearly a reference to the Bird of Prey crashing into it at the end of The Voyage Home. OBVIOUSLY.

I am being sarcastic. A few of these are really a reach.

18. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Wow, really ? That's pretty cool. I have to look out for it the next time I see it.

Me too. That was pretty sweet. The more I think about this movie, the more fondly I remember it.

19. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I mentioned in another thread that Carol Marcus explains the Vengeance will catch up to the Enterprise because it has transwarp drive. So, in a sense, the Vengeance is the nuExcelsior -- which is easily crippled by Scotty (the more they overthink the plumbing...).

20. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

There's no mention of Transwarp drive anywhere in the movie. Khan states the Vengeance has "three times the speed" of the Enterprise in an earlier scene, that's all.

The Vengeance has a top warp factor of 12.75 in that case, easily able to catch up on the Enterprise.