Red Dwarf series 9 (or is it 10?) in 2012 confirmed by Craig Charles

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by firehawk12, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Re: Red Dwarf series 9 (or is it 10?) in 2012 confirmed by Craig Charl

I never could get past part one of BTE. There was no humor in what I saw and the whole tone of the thing was so somber and sad. It was just easier not to watch and remember RD for what it used to be.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

"Back to Earth" was really, really, really, really bad. :eek:

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

BTW wasn't that great, it did have a few moments, but it certainlty isn't worth what Amazon want to charge you, perhaps at most half of that.

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't think Back to Earth was as bad as everyone else does, but it definately isn't Red Dwarf at its best.

I did get a good laugh at Kryten's explanation for why they watch movies on VHS on board the Dwarf.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  5. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

I say watch it if you're a completest, but if you don't mind skipping something that's not that good and doesn't contribute to the overall storyline of the show, then just skip it.

Yeah, I loved that too. :lol:

6. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

There were some good bits in BTE, the whole wasn't good though. The scene with them zooming in to a photo was brilliant. The scene with Lister meeting Craig Charles was also good. But for the most part it just didn't work.

7. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

On a scale of one to five, where one is the godawful Nick Frost sitcom Hyperdrive and five is Red Dwarf at its best, Back To Earth probably manages a two. Not terrible as such, just something of a misfire and a substantial disappointment.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^ At least you never felt a let down from the days when Hyperdrive was good.

9. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

^ :)

Actually, as pitched it seemed like a good idea; a substitute for Red Dwarf itself, maybe. In our imagination it promised to recapture some of what made Red Dwarf good. In actuality, not the slightest sniff of it.

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I saw ten minutes of Hyperdrive once. Now, I'm one of the people that thinks that the eight series run of Red Dwarf is pretty good from beginning to end (and series VII is my favorite), but those are ten minutes of my life that I'll never have back. How could Nick Frost and sf comedy go so horribly wrong?

11. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

It's hit and miss. The story has some great homages to a certain famous SF film (I won't spoil), and we also get to see a pre-Two and a Half Men Sophie Winkleman in a key role. It also gets really meta for a good chunk of it.

If you are familiar with the series, it's a hoot (I'm trying not to spoil here) though the lack of a live audience is a detriment. But it's not a place to come in on the ground floor - get one or more of the other seasons first.

It does have the added benefit of being the only Red Dwarf "season" available on Blu-ray (you won't see the others done that way because they're all videotaped except for the shot-on-film Series VII).

Alex

12. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Well I watched it today and it isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. In fact I think it was better than all of Series 8. Then again, I didn't care for that one cause I didn't like the fact that the crew was back on Red Dwarf, nor did I care for the fact that Rimmer was made human, even though they went a long way to make him Rimmer, he wasn't "our" Rimmer (If that made sense).

I'm also glad they came up with a clever explanation for why they were on Earth with Red Dwarf as a tv show, for a while there I thought they were simply going to go with the explanation that the Dwarfers really were fictional, though I guess I should have known better than that.

Was there any reason Chloe Annet had such a small part in the show? Was she off filming something else? Or perhaps they really did want to set up a potential story arc for Lister in a future series at the time they wrote it.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  13. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I think it might be explained in the DVD commentary or something. Presumably she'd moved on and wasn't that interested in doing a full-length return. Take it for what it's worth, but the IMDb shows a 5-year gap in her TV and film acting work before Back to Earth, so maybe she'd stepped away from the business or was concentrating on the stage.

Plus it did work well for the overall story. Last I heard (someone PLEASE correct me if this is wrong) she isn't involved in the new series either, but again I may be dead wrong.

Alex

14. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't wait for the new season of Red Dwarf!! Any idea when it'll air?

I thought they'd look ridiculous in the same roles after all of this time but they look great!

Mr Awe

15. Bob The Skutter

September seems to be when they're saying it'll air. No specifics though.

16. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther

I was more bugged by the complete absence of Holly. It felt like he should have been there at least briefly.

17. Bob The Skutter

Norman Lovett made a prat of himself over it. They couldn't afford it on the budget they had. Even a lot of the CG was provided for free by fans, I believe. But he went online slagging the whole lot of them off over it and over the failed movie, so I doubt he'll be back.

18. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Meh, Hyperdrive is a pale ripoff of BBC Radio 4's The Spaceship, which features the exact same set up, only you know, funny.

19. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

What about Hattie? They could be forced to use an archived version of Holly.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  20. Bob The Skutter

What's a shame?