Recommend to me some old TV shows

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JirinPanthosa, Jun 21, 2013.

1. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For drama series, The Wire, Picket Fences.

For comedy series, All in the Family, Roseanne.

For thriller/cop/detective/mystery, Alfred Hitchcock, Perry Mason.

For SF and fantasy, the original Outer Limits and Twilight Zone.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Any season of Law & Order with Jerry Orbach

3. Admiral2

Admiral2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Briscoe is best when he's partnered with Green. (Sorry, Noth and Bratt fans...)

4. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's interesting. As much as I like Orbach, I prefer the George Dzunda and Paul Sorvino years. Orbach arrived about the time the stories themselves started becoming formulaic and "ripped from the headlines."

5. Wereghost

Wereghost Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Buffy The Vampire Slayer (yes, seriously).
    Angel. (One heck of a rollercoaster ride. Can't think of a show that is better at defying exoectations.)
    Firefly (of course).
    Dollhouse (great actors, some fantastic episodes).

Also, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. It's obviously handicapped due to the fact that Joss Whedon wasn't directly involved, but it does have Summer Glau providing comic relief (!!!) and Lena Headey as a great Sarah Connor. Could have been really special if it had made it to a third season.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I thought the OP was after shows dating from at least prior to 1995. Other shows from that era I watched were

The Midnight Caller.
    Moonlighting. (Bruce Willis before he became a big star)

Not sure how they would stand up today however.

7. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would agree with Dallas and L.A. Law but I would like to add the following:

Mannix
    Cannon
    Matlock
    Love American Style
    Happy Days
    Lost in Space
    Battlestar Galactica

and more to come.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral Admiral

Oh damn, how did I forget Moonlighting?

Yeah, it's a great show!

9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I watched the pilot of Rockford Files. It's interesting how the approach to plotting has changed in 30 years. The first hour of the show is just Rockford deciding whether or not he will take the case. If that was produced today, he'd be beating people up in the first five minutes. I'll definitely keep watching it.

Also I watched Red Dwarf. One more thing I'll add, if the show has a laugh track, it better be Seinfeld-level funny. I hate laugh tracks. :)

I have Hulu Plus too, so I'll check out Hill St Blues next. I have also seen Soap, that's a fun show. All its parody elements still apply to shows today. I'm definitely open to Buffy. I thought Firefly was decent and I loved Cabin In The Woods. Wheadon is great at genre fan-appeal. I have seen seasons 1-5 and 9 of Roseanne.

10. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hill Street Blues is awesome. It is to cop dramas what McCabe and Mrs Miller is to Westerns.

Would you guys recommend Bob Newhart, knowing that I hate sitcom style humor and laugh tracks, but like Seinfeld and early Roseanne?

I've only seen a handful of 30 Rock episodes. That show is the definition of power-watchable.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  11. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Glad you like it.

Candidly it does have a laugh track. And I haven't seen it in decades. That being said Bob Newhart is easily one of the funniest men who ever walked this earth. So I'd say give it a try.

12. wildstar

wildstar Commander Red Shirt

The Prisoner.

13. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, it's a different approach to pacing for sure. Remember they did have seven or eight extra minutes in an hour show. It's great for character stuff. As far as beating people up, Jim generally received a more beatings than he gave, really unusual at the time!

It is very interesting for me to hear what people think, viewing shows I grew up with from a completely different perspective. "Hill Street" was "my" show back in the day, it was new and totally differnt from anything I'd ever seen, and I looked forward to "Roll Call" on Thursday nights more than any show ever. I've said it before on this board, but 30 years later I still haven't seen a show that handles as big an ensemble of characters as well as HSB did. Except maybe St Elsewhere.

The laugh track is something you'll have to get used to, but if you like character-driven comedy, The Bob Newhart Show is one of the best. It has a lot of standard setup-punchline joke writing, but the characters are so unique and strong that they can carry even the rare weak episode. Newhart, Suzanne Pleshette, Peter Bonerz and Marcia Wallace are wonderful, but Bill Daily and Jack Riley are amazingly funny.

Agreed. And you see a lot of old TV show actors come through it!

Justin

14. Foxhot

Foxhot Commodore Commodore

As a drama, NOTHING beats ''Hill Street.'' And it was emulated by dozens of future shows.

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

There is also M*A*S*H

16. Mysterion

Mysterion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:)

It seemed like hardly a week went by that either Jim and/or his car didn't have some sort of havoc wreaked upon them.

Also, always enjoyed the weekly bit with the answering machine in the opening titles.

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Has Quantum Leap been mentioned yet?

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And of course if you like an interesting take on the cop show, here it is:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irevbjhXht8&list=PL88FA433B86301F71[/yt]

:D

19. Starscream2112

Starscream2112 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Quark
    Space Academy
    Starblazers
    Space 1999
    UFO
    And anything produced by Irwin Allen

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

We have now suggested more hours worth of programming that this person can successfully watch in one lifetime without structurally sacrificing a healthy balanced quality of life.