RDM interview about the finale here...

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Raz

Raz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks. I already found something awesome:

Also, puts the "characters, stupid" bit in a good context. Worth reading.

3. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This feeling is what happens when your brain is trying to tell you something's a bad idea, Ronald.

So it's basically "This explanation doesn't stand up to scrutiny. That means it's better than something that would."

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Guess you didn't like the end, huh?

Pity. I enjoyed it immensely. :)

5. Myasishchev

I did not, sir. I'm dealing with my sorrow by pretending Revelations is the last episode and I'm free to come up with whatever answers seem most logical.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Didn't people notice the episode title?

7. Myasishchev

"Daybreak" could refer to a nuclear detonation.

8. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I actually liked everything up until this last episode. Actually, I liked everything up until they reached the second earth. It's only the last 20-30 minutes that ruined everything for me.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Well, there's certainly nothing to stop you - other than that instead of going off and coming up with those "logical" answers you're spending time on the BBS telling other people that they're wrong for appreciating the finale.

Except for the fact that, uh, it never ever does. ;)

10. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

I am very satisfied. Very. That is all.

11. Myasishchev

My misery loves company. But, no, I'm not telling anyone they're wrong, per se. Or at least I'm not trying to (okay, I sort of am...).

Ultimately there'll be an impasse of opinion over any piece of art, because quality is simply not objective. The fun of debate over it, the point of making claims about the "wrong" and "right" of taste, is--I think--to sharpen our own reasons for liking or disliking something. So that we can refine our own tastes, and like or dislike something in entirely new ways.

I'm sure I've seen "daybreak" or "sunrise" as an ironic metaphor for large-scale nuclear holocaust. I can't cite anything, unfortunately, but one can't deny the similarity between the physical forces involved (nuclear fusion emitting photons) and the sensory phenomena (a distant burning city will light up the horizon just like a sunrise, you don't even need nukes for that, anecdotally the Germans could read their maps from the light of Stalingrad during the bombardment of the city preceding the months of battle to secure it). I'd love to think I came up with it, and thanks for giving me the credit, but I'm positive I didn't. :p

12. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

That interview helps me understand where they were coming from. I myself instinctively felt that if we actually got concrete explanations, they would be unsatisfying. I began to get this feeling in No Exit when the mysterious grandeur of the final 5 was put into simpler terms. If that happened with the rest of the mythology on the show, it could have been horrible.

In my mind though, I had placed some unreasonable faith in the show runners that they could come up with something that worked... I guess they couldn't... no one could. In retrospect, leaving things open like that was obviously the right way to go. And I'm glad, now, because the imagination this mythology has set off in my mind over the years is still an open book - a book I don;t think I would have liked closing.

13. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

When Baltar was figuring the stuff out as he walked into the CIC I thought to myself, "This is awesome but don't get too specific, Ron. Don't ruin the mystery of it all."

14. Admiral Buzzkill

If you ever come up with the reference be sure to let us know, but don't try the dodge that someone should or could be reasonably expected to infer it as an alternative meaning for the title - given, after all, that even you can't bring the relevant example to mind.

15. Myasishchev

Heh, okay, Polaris.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_holocaust_fiction

By Dawn's Early Light (story published in 1990)
    The Sun Is Burning (a song written for Simon and Garfunkel)
    Two Suns in the Sunset (Pink Floyd, off of Final Cut), which I'm listening to right now :) "The sun is in the east even though the day is done/Two suns in the sunset/Could be the human race is done" :p
    And a novel actually alternately entitled Daybreak--although admittedly this novel takes place two centuries after the nuclear war

Ben Benjamin, a worker at Los Alamos, describes the Trinity test as "brighter than 20 suns and the most spectacular sunrise ever seen." [emphasis mine]

And if you can't see the metaphor, then you're being wilfully blind to the possibilities of language.

16. scotthm

scotthm Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Has it never occurred to you that there might be things that you cannot understand? I don't mean things that haven't been explained sufficiently to you, but things that your mind just cannot grasp?

I think it's much more satisfying to leave certain things unexplained and unknown because to do otherwise makes them too mundane. I'm more than willing to believe that the universe has secrets that the human mind is not capable of comprehending, and I like that the show had some of that left in it.

---------------

17. Gregsmack

Gregsmack Captain Captain

I also think there's an astronomical difference between fiction not explaining itself adequately and that piece of fiction being about a lack of explanation. In this case, part of BSG's story is that there are forces at work that are not explained, ever, to the human race. We are small entities in the universe and are not nearly as knowledgeable about its complexities as we think. Ambiguous endings are as valid as revelatory endings, especially when the story itself is about ambiguity.

18. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

Yes, it could have been horrible like the midichlorian explanation for the force...but it could also have been awesome like (in my opinion) the explanation and story of John/Cavil. So, because it COULD be bad is not a reason to just be happy with no explanation or answer at all.

The poster above who said when Ron couldn't come up with a good answer that that was his brain telling him it was a bad idea to begin with is correct. I am a designer and all the time I am doing something and when there is an element that just does not fit my brain will tell me in subtle ways. And I will keep trying to force it to fit and it ends up 100 percent of the time, that that piece was not needed or was not working in my design, no matter how bad I wanted to keep it.

19. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

This is the quote I was writing about above...and if this is what Ron was talking about when he said he had to throw plot out the window to concentrate on character then he blew it. Not explaining her is not character development Ron.

Epic fail on that one...go ahead and write "it's about characters stupid" on the board and pat yourself on the back all you want.

20. scotthm

scotthm Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I will explain Kara for you. She died and her ghost came back to fulfill her destiny.

Does that make you feel better?

---------------