Ratings are in !

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Archangel, Oct 10, 2006.

1. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

BEYOND THE TOP 15
    http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=7509
    -- Sci Fi's "Battlestar Galactica: Razor" posted a lackluster 1.21 household rating (1,004,000 adults 18-49) for its premiere on Saturday, on par with its third season finale (1.21 household rating on 3/25/07) and just ahead of its series low numbers (1.09 on 3/4/07). Compared with the network's other Saturday originals this year, "Razor" fell behind 12 of the 19 aired thus far while a year ago (11/25/06), the premiere of "Basilisk: The Serpent King" posted a 1.4 household rating.

2. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think thats not bad considering what other shows have been getting including Atlantis.

3. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ So Sci-Fi original movies - the spawn of hell - did better than Razor? That sucks...

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

No wonder why Sci-fi canceled the show.

5. D Man

D Man Commodore Commodore

If by "cancelled" you mean "ordered a full fourth season," then you're right. Is Lost cancelled because we've been told which season will be its last?

6. The Stig

The Stig Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They usually do really well, but even their ratings are down substantially. Ratings for the entire network are down from where they were a couple of years ago.

7. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Ignore the ratings. Neilsons are obsolete in this day and age, although it's sad that the networks still look to it as their holy grail.

8. Noname Given

Noname Given Vice Admiral Admiral

Ouch - the bad thing about this is it gives Bonnie Hammer more statistical ammo to say - "See? We give them space-based Sci-Fi and they don't watch. Time for Mansquito III at half the cost."

When you're beaten by a live action version of the kids 'superhero' cartoon 'Ben 10' (which on that list got a 4.0) - I don't think you can spin this as anything but an utter and disaterous failure.

Let's hope Sci-Fi does allow production to resume after the WGA strike ends; but unless the DVD sales are amazing; the argument could be made to just pack the whole thing up and use the money elsewhere.

Again, those numbers are BAD (even for Sciffy); and it just proves no one but truely hard core fans even watch or care; and there ain't a whole lot of those either.

9. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

Ditto. Could the low ratings be due to the fact that everyone was celebrating the holidays???? I only happened to watch it live because I decided to come back home a day early. Otherwise I would have been watching it on TiVo...

I don't remember seeing a lot of ads for Razor. If I didn't come to this web-site I could have missed in completely.

10. zakfa

zakfa Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hmm maybe the early leak of Razor hurt more than helped the ratings. Also perhaps with the broadcast airing of Razor sandwiched between the early leak and ensuing DVD release, many just decided not to watch. Nevertheless I thought it would do better ratings wise. At least it doesn't really matter anymore...

11. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course, this was Thanksgiving Weekend, a major travel time for many, not to mention the fact that some folks still had relatives around who may not have wished to watch it. Add the extended shopping hours as well. That has to take away ratings too. Then factor in the known fact that it would be out on DVD and the fact that it had already been in theaters in some major cities. Some folks may simply have chosen not to see it again; to buy the DVD, to buy the DVD having already seen it n the big screen.

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Considering they aired it on the dumping ground of Thanksgiving weekend, the declining value of the Nielsens, and the fact that they heavily publicized the longer DVD version being released just a week after the initial airing, these ratings aren't nearly as low as they should have been.

13. Chuckles

Chuckles Commander Red Shirt

Those ratings are gritty and realistic.

:lol:

14. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree wholeheartedly. Either BSG has 1.2 million of the most loyal, well-informed fans ever, a lot of people were channel-surfing to escape their families and thought lesbians in space was a good way to kill an hour, or word of mouth and DVD loaning is actually having an effect and boosting interest and viewership.

15. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Blame the advertisers, who use them as the basis of payment, not the networks.

16. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Honestly, the Neilsons are so outdated and archaic, based on 1950s viewing/broadcasting patterns, that they're utterly meaningless today. The fact that the networks still use them is just another sign of the sheer ineptitude of the suits that run television networks today.

17. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What else would you suggest they use? You can't count people who don't view it live, because they aren't going to watch the ads, so the advertisers won't pay for them. Total bodies doesn't matter, just the bodies watching the ads.

18. mattwitz

mattwitz Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My feeling is, the sci-fi channel is probably ecstatic with Battlestar, no matter what the ratings are. The show has brought a lot of credibility to a network thats only real claim to fame beforehand was stargate. The LA times review of "razor" was on the front page of the Calendar/Arts section. It's gotten a huge amount of PR for the network and won multiple awards. Plus, unlike its NBC counterpart, SCiFi probably doesn't freak out about low ratings, partly because they are on cable.

19. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Honestly, at this point, I'm not at all concerned about the ratings. Skiffy has 13 episodes in the bag now. If the WGA strike is resolved, it will hopefully get the other 9, and we'll have a conclusion to the story. I'm more concerned we may not get our last 9 than how Razor performed in the ratings. I'd be more concerned if there was a possibility that BSG S4 would go unaired.

20. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

A Saturday night on Thanksgiving weekend was never going to get great ratings. Skiffy already figured that only the loyal fanbase would watch. They weren't even trying. Too bad so many people missed a great performance by Michelle Forbes.