Ratings are in !

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Archangel, Oct 10, 2006.

1. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here is my biggest concern. The BSG premiere wasn't even in the top 15 cable shows for the week.
    Ratings

If BSG is losing to SVU reruns its got problems.

2. Michael Chris

Michael Chris Admiral Admiral

Has it ever been?

3. Russ

Russ Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh yes. It was frequently in the top 10 during the first season and at least once in the second.

The second part of the mini was the #2 ranked show for the week it aired on cable.

I thought the only reason to for a press release on Monday was to highlight how great the series launched, but I forgot to mention another possible reason of doing it; to get ahead of any negative publicity. It underperformed, and the press release was crafted to try to counter such claims, which are now starting to come out:

LOSERS

4. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This really highlights what I've been saying. I wouldn't feel sooo confident right now. To feel like things are totally safe for BSG is overly optimistic.

Mr Awe

5. benny

benny Vice Admiral Admiral

I hate hate hate hate hate the "logic" in comparing a S2 premiere in mid-July with a S3 premiere in October. It's like comparing apples to oranges and saying oranges are worse because of the color. The real (and only, in my book) way to rate how a season premiere does in relation to the entire program is to see where it was at the last new episode.

The same thing is happening with Lost; people saying it's gone down and viewers have tuned out. Well, sure, from the S2 premiere which was fresh off the Emmy win, it is down. But from the S2 finale, it was up. The ratings from the last new episode to the next one tell the tale, nothing else.

If you want to measure time slot ratings, knock your socks off. But to judge a show based on it's previous premiere (over a year ago) is ludicrous.

6. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Commodore Commodore

*shrug* I'd think more people would be watching in October — with the onset of colder weather and shorter daylight hours — than in July, smack dab in the middle of summer with great weather and long, nice days.

Gatekeeper

7. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh yea, I've seen these reactionary posts around too, nuBSG does get under peoples skin. From the first mini, this show was about the larger dramas in our world, beginning with it's own 9/11 and going on to torture, suiside bombing (remember Leoben in the first season? Cylons did it too!), betrayal, God fearing Cylons, salisious media, abortion, popular suffering, sudden attack fear, the plots are all right out of the newspapers.

If at this point people don't accept that this show is about dramatizing the war torn world around us, and pretty well I say, they should buy a clue.

... mm, just wanna say, direct lines of parallel is not what an allegory is, nor does nuBSG stick to mere metaphor. The Cylons make great fanatically religious terrorists blowing themselves to heaven one season then they are fanatical religious superpower occupiers torturing and executing. This show is reeeaaally good at this stuff, if I may say. The sub-text is all there, but it can wash off like water on a duck's back just as fast. Keep up my friends! :)

8. Devnull

Devnull Captain Captain

It was actually Doral that was a suicide bomber in "Litmus".

9. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

The ratings for the rebroadcasts *do* count. Rest assured, the companies airing commercials during those rebroadcasts don't get to air those commercial for free. They have to pay for that, and the amount of $ they pay is based on the rating, just like it is for the initial broadcast. Every individual timeslot has its own rating. It's just that, by convention, they only tout the rating for the initial broadcast to the press. The ratings for rebroadcasts have in fact been mentioned in a few ratings articles run by Gateworld in the past, but in general, they don't get divulged to the public. But rest assured, the people making the decisions on which shows to run have all of the relevant data on ratings for every single showing of each episode.

However, another thing you have to account for is the fact that, by running the same episode three times, they are able to increase the total number of viewers sure, but that's also a total of three hours of their air time that could also be used for something else. So it's really not as simple as adding up the ratings for all three broadcasts, because you also have to account for how much air time you used up to achieve those ratings.

10. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DoH! Totally right. :scream:

11. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

12. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

13. Caprica_Six

Caprica_Six Admiral Admiral

This thread was started in October last year, why do you keep bumping old threads?

14. MrLuisSantiago

MrLuisSantiago Lieutenant Red Shirt

Anyone know what the ratings are these days

or if the show will be broadcast as re-runs ?

15. TheMasterOfOrion

Ratings :

ECW 1.6
    Rose Red part two 1.2
    Star Trek: Enterprise 1.2
    House on Haunted Hill 1.1
    Battlestar Galactica 1.1
    Rose Red part three 1.1
    Special Unit 2 1.0
    The Dresden Files 0.9
    Rose Red part one 0.9
    Thirteen Ghosts 0.8

Rank ........ Show ................ Network .......... Viewers in millions .................Time-shifted

1. Grey's Anatomy (May 17) ...... ABC ..... 24.2 ...... 3.0
    2. Lost (May 23) ............ ABC ..............15.1 .................... 2.9
    3. Heroes (May 21) ............ NBC ............. 14.6 .............. 2.7
    4. CSI (May 17) ............ CBS ............... 21.9 ........... 2.5
    5. Desp. H'wives (May 20) ......... ABC ............ 19.8 ................. 2.3
    * The Office (May 17) ............ NBC .................. 9.0 .................. 2.3
    * American Idol (May 23) .............. Fox .......... 31.2 ................ 2.3
    8. 24 (May 21) ............... Fox ............ 11.2 ................ 2.1
    9. Survivor: Fiji (May 13) CBS ................14.1 ................... 1.5
    * Criminal Minds (May 16) ............ CBS ............ 14.1 ............. 1.5
    * NCIS (May 22) ............. CBS .......... 15.1 ............. 1.5

Sky 1

Programme 000's
    1 LOST (Sun 2200) 1163
    2 BONES (Thu 2101) 689
    3 24 (Sun 2101) 652
    4 THE SIMPSONS (Mon 1900) 583
    5 THE SIMPSONS (Sun 1830) 580
    6 STARGATE SG-1 (Tue 2001) 518
    7 THE DRESDEN FILES (Wed 2101) 494
    8 THE SIMPSONS (Mon 1932) 492
    9 STARGATE ATLANTIS (Wed 2002) 453
    10 THE SIMPSONS (Sun 1900) 442

16. ZZYFRX

ZZYFRX Commodore Commodore

Ouch!!! I'm truly shocked that BSG was renewed at all with horrible ratings like that. But it's no wonder this is the last season, Moore and Eick knew that they'd never get a fifth after the disasterous third year.

17. TheMasterOfOrion

The demographic have moved away from the traditional scifi fans while the soapopera/rickylake demographic is growing rapidly

18. Similitude

Similitude Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is there a list for all of the ratings for this past season?

19. MrLuisSantiago

MrLuisSantiago Lieutenant Red Shirt

Neilson ratings were bad this season, also had a disasterous year on British Skyone

20. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Wait, are you saying BSG re-runs are getting 1.1s? That's not bad at all.