Ratings are in !

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Archangel, Oct 10, 2006.

1. zakfa

zakfa Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It sucks to see the downward trend in the ratings. Hopefully this season it can be consistent and stay above the 1.6 range.

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

I disagree, look at the TV landscape, BSG fits right in with today's smarter edgier TV. I grew up with BSG 78, Buck Rogers, Knight Rider, TNG, The A-Team, The Dukes of Hazzard, etc, now that was comfort TV. Enterprise wanted to be what BSG is but it was straddled with the Trek franchise and a burnt-out production staff.

3. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^
    Hmm, I get ya but what I mean is that the audience (for nuBSG) isn't finding the show, they are watching The Shield, Rescue Me, etc. They don't watch comfort TV at all. They don't watch Sci-Fi and they wouldn't bother to watch something called "Battlestar Galactica" rather like people would not take the title "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" seriously either. I didn't, both times.

We are watching it, sure, but that's because it's sci-fi and we are sci-fi fans. The audience I speak of is not.

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

^^ Oh, I'm gettin' ya now, that doesn't really explain the sliding audience though. Maybe the Galactica name keeps some people away but what about those who used to watch?

5. DanCPA

DanCPA Admiral Admiral

I made a 3 new BSG viewers this weekend. And all three times I had to beg borrow and steal to get them to watch it, but when they finally did, they loved it!

6. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^
    Good work Picard. :)

That's a very good question. The sci-fi fans? Hmmmm.

7. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

I know exactly what you mean. I mention to folks "Hey, there's this great show you'd really like" and after I say "Battlestar Galactica" they just look at me like :wtf:

I was the only one in this house to watch the miniseries. Half way through season one, I got my two boys to watch. Over the course of this summer my son got his girlfriend (and both her parents) hooked to nBSG (and not one "Thanks Dad" for swiping all my nBSG DVD's). I've even got Mrs. Q2 hooked on nBSG now (once she made it through most of season 1, we shot through the entire season 2 in less than a week!). So to recap, went from 1 person watching in this house early in season 1 to now 8 people watching (two houses) each week of season 3. Huhmmm..... And the ratings are still declining..... I still think the current ratings methods are skewed when it comes to Sci-Fi, but that's just my two cents......

Q2UnME

8. USS Gettysburg

USS Gettysburg Captain Captain

To me the ratings on this show really are a small piece of the puzzle. Scifi really makes up for the expense of the show on its DVD and iTunes sales. It is also the only anchor that Scifi has at the moment. That being said the fact that it was placed in a new time slot competing against a new fall lineup after a lonnnngggg wait I think that the ratings seem respectable. I also think that the next two episodes are more important than the premiere. If the rating stays at around 1.8 like last season it should be fine.

9. Ariadne

Ariadne Vice Admiral Admiral

Every time a show changes, they lose viewers. DS9, VOY, and ENT all had their highest viewing rates at the beginning of their runs. ENT tried to shake things up a few times - at the beginning of seasons 3 and 4 - and paid for that with an early cancellation.

Stargate Atlantis started out much less popular then SG-1 - even if their viewing numbers were about the same, SG-1 nearly always won the "which show do you like better" polls - both here and at Gateworld. It's taken years for people (including me) to admit that Atlantis is actually pretty good.

Overall, people just don't like change. The public outcry when Ploto was de-planetized is another indictation of that.

Like it or not, BSG has changed a lot over the break. It was never a happy-go-lucky show, but it was clear from the finale of season 2 and opening of season 3 that it was going to be a very different show - less sex and more commentary on the Iraq war (or whatever you want to call it).

10. Russ

Russ Vice Admiral Admiral

It's rumored that the budget for BSG is around $1.8M/episode.

And for those interested, per Variety, the season 3 premiere of BSG delivered 2.16M viewers and a 1.0/3 rating in A18-49.

11. MIB

MIB Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sadly, I'm going to have to agree with this. It makes it a bit rough on viewers like me who LOVE change in shows though. Voyager, SG-1, Enterprise, Malcolm in the Middle, & The Simpsons are but a fraction of shows I've lost total interest in when, after watching 3 or 4 seasons, it was still the same ol' nonesense over and over.

12. John O.

John O. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm a little more pessimistic in that I don't see it as people don't like change, but rather that they can't handle change. We're just too fickle. Idk what may've caused it but the average TV viewer's attention span makes an ADHD patient look catatonic.

I, on the other hand, actually pay attention to a lot more shows these days. I never ever EVER used to be able to remember to watch stuff when it came on certain times of day. That's why I got way more into Trek recently because I went and rented/downlaoded all the episodes and watched them in order. The only Trek show I even REMOTELY watched in any kind of oragnized way on TV was TNG and that was in Syndication.

Today, however, I regularly remember to watch Eureka, Heroes, BSG, and SG1/SGA when they're on. I have even been tuning in to Dead Like Me a few times.

I'm surprised the ratings are so low and if nothing else, this proves to me how little Nielsen Ratings actually mean about how good a show is or how popular it is. Has anyone around here actually stopped watching BSG because of the New Caprica thing? I mean was anybody turned off by LDYB I/II so much that you stopped watching?

From the show of ratings as the show went on, though, it looks like it didn't just drop off in this premier, but rather that the premier was just another steady decline of .1 points from LDYB. It looks like they began to lose people's attention right after the original miniseries premier.

So really, even though I just went on this schpiel about people's low attention spans, it actually seems that it wasn't the New Caprica change that lost viewers, but something in the immediate season 1/2 that kept steadily losing them, because it's just been one long steady downward spiral.

That is, of course, if Nielsen ratings even mean anything realistically. I have honestly no clue wtf they're supposed to mean, they're porbably just some crap somebody's making up as they go along and getting paid to cite higher ratings :lol:

Btw, there are now Sci-Fi commercials on ABC/NBC during the airing of Heroes. I don't know if they've been doing that before now because I never used to watch ABC/NBC, but that seems new to me. Might get more attention to BSG.

13. RTOlson

RTOlson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Let's revisit the "splitting Sci Fi Friday" point. According to the press release, it was successful -- for at least one night. While the show's overall ratings are down, BSG performed considerably better year on average for the time slot and time of year.

If Sci Fi wants to keep building Sci Fi Friday it had to split the shows up otherwise they would be stuck for months with repeats and very little new to show. In this case, we've transitioned relatively smoothly from the 'Gates to BSG with the ratings staying relatively the same. Sure, I'd like them to grow, but having relatively strong shows in the queue is important too.

If Sci Fi was smart, they might reschedule a BSG rerun after ECW now that Eureka's in reruns. It can sometimes be a strong, albeit temporary lure for a show like BSG.

14. Russ

Russ Vice Admiral Admiral

John O.
    I agree with your post only to a certain point.

While I did stop watching the show because of a change, the change that made me stop watching was the change in quality not the change in story.

15. Scatter

Scatter Captain Captain

i'm certainly getting deja vu.

different names, same spin. and while i thought the premiere was two hours of complete awesome, having faith in the shows quality is an absolute waste of time. firefly was critically acclaimed too for example.

numbers matter. don't delude yourself into thinking otherwise.

16. badjelly

badjelly Cadet Newbie

From what I've read at various forums, a lot of people are not happy with the Iraq war parallels. Sadly, I predict there will be quite a drop next week.

17. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

i wonder how much was due to the whole planet business.
    i still believe they made the characters act in ignorant fashion they normally wouldnt have to make the decision to settle the planet and leave the fleet in such a bad and undermanned shape.

and then the totally expected happens the cylons invade.

18. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I see what you're saying. I don't watch much TV nor follow its happenings much so perhaps I'm just not aware of how much free press they're getting from BSG.

However, assuming that's the case, how much weight will this have with Sci Fi? Honest question. It hasn't seemed to increase the ratings of their shows. If things stay the same we may be good. But, what if the BSG ratings drop to say 1.4? Will the free advertising be sufficient to keep it around still? You're talking about something that has intangible effects competing with hard cold cash. Intangible may well lose out!

I'm not saying that BSG will be cancelled but I just feel quite as secure as some people. I remember during ENT days where it kept getting lower and lower ratings. There was a consitent group of posters who kept saying that there was no way it would be cancelled and that they'd get the normal 7 years. They kept saying that right up until it was cancelled. They had their security blanket firmly in place.

Mr Awe

19. benny

benny Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree that ratings do mean quite a bit. No question. However, I've never understood the reasoning behind pre-emptions/same week reruns not being counted. Granted, they should be limited to one rerun during the week to ward off a network taking advantage of the system, but the fact remains that the people watching-whenever they do in that initial week-are still watching. (Not to get sidetracked: it was one of the things I NEVER understood with Enterprise and probably helped it to die when it did.)

The thing is, as any network knows, you have to be known for something. NBC for YEARS was known for The Cosby Show/Cheers/Seinfeld/Friends. ABC is currently known for Lost/Grey's Anatomy/Desperate Housewives. CBS has historically been known as the "Geriatric Network" and has recently been known as CSI land. Sci Fi isn't known for anything except BSG.

Personally, they made a huge mistake in premiering in the fall alongside new shows and postseason baseball. They had great success with Eureka over the summer, but didn't build anything for BSG. There was more than enough time to reshow the entire first and second seasons...one episode a week on whatever night they wanted. Bill it as a "catch up without spending the cash for DVD or iTunes" or whatever the marketing department can come up with.

Still, I am a fan. I will watch every single Friday night in first run. I like the occupation story on the planet. I don't see anything wrong with the parallels to Iraq or whatever conflict you want to compare it to. The story, the acting, the production values...still top notch. Still one of the best two shows on TV, regardless of who is or is not watching it.

20. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Very interesting points and I hope BSG sticks around because I too am a fan. I think the enhanced grittiness is much needed. The series got off course a bit in season 2 with too many soapy elements. Now its getting back to where it should be. When humanities survival is stake things must be portrayed as grim! So, I'm all for the changes. And, it's not just that they're good changes they're also being executed very well from the writing, acting, to the directing.

Mr Awe