Ratings are in !

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Archangel, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Archangel

Archangel Guest

BSG is also more expensive than SG1. FX and paying EJO and MM. Those mean it has to do better than it.

2. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

EXILE + ATTON = GUUUUUUSH!!!! (pic by aimo)
    But, I guess the flip side is that BSG is a property that's "in the family", where as Sony/MGM/Fox/My mom owns SG-1.

Arg... TV speculation is annoying. They announced the cancellation and renewal of SG-1/Atlantis respectively about 5 weeks in, so maybe that's when they talk about the future of BSG.

3. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not necessarily. Universal may be footing a bigger part of the bill than MGM is for the Stargates, planning on recouping the costs via iTunes/DVD.

4. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

No, there is a problem. 1.8 may be high enough to keep it on the air. The problem is if it drops more. There's not much safety room below 1.8! What if 1.8 is higher than the average for this season simply because it was the premiere.

Now, I agree that we'll have to wait and see. 1.8 should be fine to keep it around. But, will the ratings stay around 1.8? That's uncertain right now.

Mr Awe

5. Mr Awe

Before you start feeling too secure you better look into SG-1's cancellation. It was getting roughly the same ratings I believe.

You're oversimplying things as a sort of security blanket. I'm not saying that it will get cancelled but it's not as cut and dry as you make it out either.

Mr Awe

6. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

^It's not worth arguing about. Just to reiterate the parts of my post you didn't quote, ratings have a more complex relationship to the shows and the all-mighty advertizing dollar that people seem to grasp. BSG does well in the demos that sci-fi and their advertizers care about. It always has. Beyond that, the money for DVD sales, downloads etc. goes into the equasion as does the acclaim and attention (read free advertising) that the show brings to the network. Stargate, Farscape etc. never brought those sorts of freebies to the network. They just didn't have the same added value that BSG has. To think that Sci-Fi's decisions regarding BSG are tied to a couple tenths of a ratings point is naive.

I understand that people feel they have been burned with those other shows, but I've agreed with the cancellations that are oft cited to villify Skiffy, so I suppose I'm coming at it from a different perspective. And, no, I'm not clutching at my security blanket, mostly because I'm not a child and just don't care enough to need one. ;)

7. JCBos

JCBos Commander Red Shirt

Slightly lower, but when comparing them, one has to bear in mind that SG-1 has been on for ten years and isn't produced by NBC/Universal. If ratings were the be-all-and-end-all of cancellation, then Atlantis would have been cancelled right along with it.

8. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Stargate was not cancelled onyl because of its ratings, as a matter of fact that only had a small part in it.

I'm quite happy to see BSG's numbers and the press release makes me look forward to the future.

9. Noname Given

Noname Given Vice Admiral Admiral

You know - with all these explinations, excuces, etc. it made me have a flashback to the Enterprise forum two years back. :wtf:

"The premire date and time wasn't really well advertised..." - check

"But the Nielsons don't account for TiVO's and DVR/VCRs" - check

"It was going up against [insert sporting event or higher rated TV show name here]." - check

"I had a BUNCH of people over and we all watched it at the same time..." - Check

"It was shown more than once, I'm sure many people knew this and caught a later broadcast of it..." - check

;)

But, in the end, since BSG isn't doing any better or worse than anything else on Sci-Fi (although if viewership for the later episodes drops below 2 million viewers all bets are probably off); so it may still get a season 4; although I have a feeling RDM won't get the proposed Caprica spinoff series approved. But between the average ratings and 'critical acclaim' nuBSG still gets, it's probably safe unless the numbers start to slide even further.

I actually thought the second hour was better than the first (sorry, but nowwe have a second "Half Cylon/Half Human" baby when they STILL haven't done a single thing with the huge buildup on Galactica Boomer's/Helo's half-breed) /yawn. But again, I liked the direction all this was coming to in the second hour; I just hope they don't drag this occupation storyline on for too long since to me, it seems like a reboot of sorts since they were ALREADY fleeing one homeworld (and the Cylons still have a Human population there, as this entire story arc was started by an attempt to extract Kira's then boyfriend from Caprica directly) - so for me, the whole "this time we just want to control and not outright exterminate Hummanity..." Cylon experiment seems redundent. Still I hope we see them move on and get back into space again, looking for Earth which Adama again agrees should have some priority.

But, time will tell.

10. Mr Awe

As far as I'm concerned we're not arguing but discussing it. I agree there are more factors than just ratings when it comes to deciding which shows get the boot. But ratings is a key one. Further, I don't think BSG provides much more of the extras/freebies that you allude to compared to say Stargate SG-1. Care to expand?

Still, given what happened to SG-1 combined with the fact that BSG is rated only slightly higher, you can't help but wonder.

Mr Awe

11. benny

benny Vice Admiral Admiral

I am loathe to get involved in this, but...

BSG is talked about in every single entertainment publication out there. It was the cover story in Entertainment Weekly a couple weeks back. Seeing the picture of Baltar, Roslin and Six on the rack (no pun intended) amounted to free advertising. Every legit website out there was talking it up. Free advertising. BSG got promo time on NBC. SG-1 did not. BSG is seen in most circles as being as good as, if not better than, some of the best drama nominees at the Emmy's. SG-1 isn't even close to the conversation. The acting is heralded as award worthy. When did that ever happen to SG-1?

Everyone talking about it is free advertising. It provides a signature show for the network, which for years was the home of old reruns. It is the Sci Fi Channel more than Stargate and Farscape ever could be.

12. Archangel

Archangel Guest

LOL...I was being nice and not saying it...all the spinning here and on other boards is making me seriously dizzy.

Perhaps we should hook generators up to them to make power :)

13. Stormrage

Stormrage Rear Admiral

LOL. I always thought that BSG went downhill after the Valley of Darkness. I guess people shared my opinon an episode to early. Since i thought VoD was good.

You hear that Ron? Your show is sinking. A lot faster then SG-1. I just wonder how long the show can sink. Since Sci Fi (or Universal) gets the DVD and syndication sales from it. Which means they earn more money then they would from a succesful SG-1.

I would probably guess that it would get cancelled if it got an average of 1.6.

By the way how much does it cost? I remember reading last year that each episode costs $750k to make. Compared to SG-1s $1.4 M thats cheap.

Looking at the episde run time of 44 mins that would leave them with 16 minutes of adverts. They could easily make up the cost of making and airing the show and some profit.

14. Devnull

Devnull Captain Captain

I beleive at the convention, ron said that each episode costs more than 1 million, but less than 3. So I would guess he meant around 2 million an episode.

15. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I know that Stargate SG1 costs over 2 million per ep. and I'm certain that Battlestar Galactica's budget is about the same.

16. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

... I think the problem of nuBSG finding an audience is due to the sci-fi crowd of today. Gritty drama isn't what these kids were raised on, but comfort food TV. Something easy to swallow, like SG-1 or enterprise.

If nuBSG were on HBO perhaps it would do better. However, the very fact it's sci-fi when these days sci-fi means adventure show pop-corn entertainment (and thus ignored by anyone looking for real grit and heart ripping drama) might be a problem. Remeber how people ignored Buffy the Vampire Slayer? I think nuBSG will have a hard time finding it's audience... but when it does man, trust me, X-Files all over again! Wooooooooo!!! :)

17. Hoshi's sis

Hoshi's sis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not really.

I enjoyed the first season but Season 2 IMO just fell far short. I watched about 2 episodes before I departed for good. I just didn't find any of the characters beside James Olmas very engaging or interesting. Gritty drama, IMO is Deep Space Nine, BSG just doesn't measure it anywhere near that.

Shame about the ratings. If these numbers drop any further, it looks like this show will go the same route as the rest.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

nuBGS will never become as popular as the X-Files or even TNG.

19. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^
    Can I borrow your crystal ball sometime?

Ok, *chuckle*, I should qualify that remark. Buffy isn't a gritty drama, obviously! :lol: What I ment was that it's title keep people from discovering it. But, lucky around the end of season three, [the girls discovered the show and loved it.

*cough*, sorry but I should be honest and say DS9 is not gritty drama. It's a melo-drama, an adventure show with iconic characters. It's just not the same animal.

nuBSG is in the same class as other more realitic dramas on TV today (and kickin' ass too, not a weak contender here), The Sorpranos, The Shield, Rescue Me, and such. DS9 doesn't attempt realitic drama like this, it's just not it's style. DS9 is more related to your average TV melo-drama, like, oh, JAG, it's just that it has big themes and sci-fi cool goin' on. It's a great show sometimes. Not a fan of "Pale Moonlight" though, thought it was ignorant of Sisko and he's a murderer (accessory) who should be in jail. The dumb fraker nearly destroyed any hope of Romulan help. Sorry, had to say that too. :p

20. MIB

MIB Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly. Not only have they been on for 10+ years (Which is almost unheard of amongst genre shows save maybe two or three exceptions I can think of off hand), SG-1 was no longer getting the critical acclaim that BSG has been getting. Personally, I stopped watching years ago after it became apparent to me that SG-1 could no longer shake off the Voyager-esque decay in it's quality of writing. I swore, if I was treated to one more inane plot involving naquada or petty villians who want to be gods... :mad: