Ratings are in !

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Archangel, Oct 10, 2006.

1. benny

benny Vice Admiral Admiral

The rating is right in line with last season's finale. It is a bit foolish to compare two season premiere's (S2 and S3). I made the same case for Lost.

Additionally, look at the time of year BSG started last year vs. this year. Like it or not, a significant portion of the people who would watch BSG were watching the Yankees/Tigers baseball game. The Yankees are probably the biggest draw in baseball. Even if it only got a 5.x rating, that was still viewers who would might be watching BSG.

Splitting Sci Fi Friday was a bad idea, starting the season in October against post-season baseball and the new season was a bad idea. Hopefully this quashes any kind of talk about BSG jumping to NBC.

Edited to add: total viewers from 2.5 is up, the 25-54 demo is up, the 18-49 demo is up. And it was the #1 cable series on Friday night. The rough 1.8 looks bad, but the numbers did tick up.

2. mvkemp

mvkemp Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know if you can buy those numbers as total viewers. Also, Sci-fi ran the premiere like 8 times over the weekend, you'd have to check those numbers as well. Assume some new people watched them because they decided to go out on a Friday night and had to catch it later. Also, th prevalence of DVRs has gone up a lot in just the last 6 months alone.

3. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The 1.8 is in line with the last half of the 2nd thing. Things had gotten pretty dire by then. Lots of wheel spinning and too much of a focus on soapy stuff--during a time when the survival of humanity was supposedly at stake!! I predicted this during last season.

Clearly that's why RDM retooled the show for this season. It's a good move and I hope it pays off!

Mr Awe

4. Dar70

Dar70 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lets hope scifi doesnt pull a Farscape and cancel during a cliffhanger. :eek: With scifi channel you cant doubt anything.

5. ZZYFRX

ZZYFRX Commodore Commodore

Well, I guess this will put those rumors of BSG moving to NBC Monday nights to bed, tuck it in nice and tight, then shoot it in the head for good measure. If the ratings don't improve fast we could be looking at BSG's last season. The show is just too expensive to continue with low ratings, especially with Bonnie Hammer at the helm.

Remember what happened to Farscape.

:rolleyes:

6. KennyB

KennyB Knight of Ren Premium Member

I kinda agree with a few of the above posters......I worked Friday night so I could not watch it till yesterday.....but I wasn't worried because it reairs so many times--gonna watch again this afternoon at 3...........Think alot of people don't stay at home to watch because they KNOW they can catch it again late Friday, Sat, Sun, or Monday..........Don't even need to record with THAT many encore's. :eek:

7. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

It doesn't matter. The show is a money-maker for Sci-Fi, and that is what determines whether a show stays on the air; ratings are incidental to that because the determine the ad prices. The difference in what they charge for say a Mac commercial at 2.1 is probably no different than what they charge at 1.8. It also has good demos, brings some long-desired acclaim to a channel with very little going for it and sells well on DVD, iTunes and will do well in syndication.

8. as long as the show isn't getting cancelled, it's all good.

its interesting though that the biggest "status quo" rating drop happened between 201 and 202. Like a bunch of viewers saw the resolution to the cliffhanger, and then just gave up on it. I remember that whole stretch felt pretty decompressed, not like season 1.

9. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My thoughts exactly. There’s another thread around here somewhere with a lot of hand wringing over why the "unwashed masses" aren’t watching. Personally, I don’t care if there are just 20 of us left, if that’s enough eyeballs to keep making new episodes. ;)

10. Joel

Joel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, I can now see the benefit of splitting a season into 2 lots of 10. If at the half-way point the network pull the plug, RDM and company can quickly put a final episode together rather than having to end the show on an open cliff hanger and have to resolve it about 2 years down the track should they get approval to do a tele-movie.

11. JCBos

JCBos Commander Red Shirt

I still don't understand how that all works, or how it can be accurate. My friends and I gathered to watch the premiere at my apt., so there were six people watching the show on one TV -- how do group-viewings like that get factored in? Only if enough of the Nielsen homes are doing the same to make it statistically relevant?

(Its an honest question, if anyone understands the process I'd be curious to know how such data is determined.)

12. nevermore

So sick of this doom and gloom. Did anyone actually read the press release? Here, let me quote it:

Somehow this does not stike me as, "Well shit, let's just cancel the fucker!" sort of talk. Calm down. Sci-fi is a niche channel and is really only worried about ratings in its target demos. BSG is doing great in those, and that's all that matters.

Oh, and this ain't Farscape; it has far more going for it both in revenue generation outside of ad sales and creating channel recognition and legitimacy. It is by far Sci-Fi's most valuable property. The show is doing fine, and it will be on as long as Moore wants it to be on.

13. Twilight

Twilight Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly.

Yeah, the press release has a lot of spin in it, but it's not reflective of a gloom-and-doom atmosphere in Bonnie Hammer's office.

14. Joel

Joel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Some aliens, time travel, a future guy, a couple of worm holes and Sharon in a cat suit should boost those ratings right up and keep EJO enthusiastic about his role on the show ;) j/k of course!

15. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know nothing about the system, or the sample size. I would imagine (hope, more accurately, I would hope) it’s a pretty sophisticated model. But, when I look at numbers for things like Monday Night Football, which has thousands of restaurant/parties/bars with hundreds of eyeballs in many cases watching, the numbers seem very low. I would be curious how they factor for those type of viewings.

Edit: quote added.

16. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

EXILE + ATTON = GUUUUUUSH!!!! (pic by aimo)
    They're very careful to say "Season 2.5 average" though. There's so many qualifiers in those three words alone.
    But then again, I doubt they were as positive with SG-1 ratings when it came back this year.

17. nevermore

^Regardless, it's the number 1 cable series for the night, which is pretty much the best they can realistically hope for. Again, the ratings, in and of themselves, mean nothing; how the ratings effect ad rates is what matters here, and these ratings do not adversely effect those rates in this context. In fact, given the demos, the ad rates for Skiffy advertizers probably went up if anything.

Oh, and this new initiative from Neilson can only be good news for series like BSG.

18. Sentinel627

Sentinel627 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I haven't had cable since early on in season 2.0.
    I've been renting the episodes and now I'm planning to catch season 3 on YouTube and then buy it next year.
    There are so many ways to watch TV now that ratings are really just guestaments at this point.
    I agree that it's cash flow that will really determine the life of this series. So go out and buy the toys and DVDs.
    Get everyone you know to say frak all the time!

19. Archangel

Archangel Guest

Ratings are still all that matters though. Because if you watch DVDs, Downloaded Copies, Youtube....you aren't watching commercials, and you aren't giving them the money advertisers would be.

20. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

EXILE + ATTON = GUUUUUUSH!!!! (pic by aimo)
    Oh, I know it's not that doom and gloom... but SG-1 got what? A 1.6 average for S10.5, and it was deemed "cancel-worthy", so... I'm not sure what to think.