Ratings are in !

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Archangel, Oct 10, 2006.

1. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

Nope. The people who tape a show and watch it, or watch it anywhere else don't matter one little bit. You see, a network executive (as well as companies buying commercial time) don't give a single wit about how many people watch the show. What matters, is how many people watch the COMMERCIALS. The more people watch the commercials, the more money you can ask a company to pay for a commercial during that time slot, the more money you make. Not enough people watch the commercials, the money you can ask is too low to make a profit, and the show wasn't a good enough advertiser for the commercials, and it gets canceled. That, after all, is what TV shows are: nothing but interesting trailers for the commercials so people watch those. In a taped show you zip past commercials, on DVDs there are none. There is no revenue for a network or tv channel in taped shows and DVDs, so they're not counted.

2. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They're not counted by the network, but they are counted by the production company, and should translate into a lower charge to the network (which means fewer eyeballs necessary to pay for the show).

3. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

That's not the way it works. Sales are revenues that come AFTER the show is on TV. The budget given to make the show, is entirely for the network, BEFORE it goes on tv. Sales have NO impact AT ALL to what the network has to pay to get a show made.

4. solariabsg25

solariabsg25 Captain Captain

Yeah of course, you guys don't have the "wonder" of the UK known as the BBC. Where, even if you never, ever, EVER watch a single show on ANY of their channels, you still have to pay them £130 a year for the RIGHT to have a TV in your home!!

I've no idea if anywhere else in the world works like this, but it's the reason that some of the Digital BBC Channels get a bad rip (BBC4 escpecially), cos to be honest they're crap, yet everyone in the entire country pays for the programmes on them.

I

5. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

You guys? I'm Dutch. We pay for public tv as well. In fact we pay a little more, I think, although that includes a whole slew of non-public channels. Thing is though, I hardly watch tv anymore, I watch good tv shows among other things on DVD. I hate having to schedule my life around the damn thing, I much rather say: then I want to watch some tv, and I'll be choosing what I'll be watching at that time.

6. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Try Germany. We have the "GEZ" which isn't even a tv channel. There an institution with no other task but to rake in the cash.
    If you have a tv, you have to pay something like 17 € per month. If you have a radio (including your car radio), you have to pay 5 € per month.
    And, and this is the best part, companies with internet-enabled computers also have to pay the fee (though I think it's slightly reduced) because, who knows, you might venture out and use the public tv stations' internet services. There was talk about a fee on private computers as well but I'm not sure that was ever realized.
    If you're not paying, they'll send you letters where they're all but threatening punishment for not paying and where they demand you respond (whether you have a tv/radio) or not. The irony is that you don't actually have to respond even though they make it sound like you do.
    Also, if they come up to your door you are not obliged to to let them in. So, as a consequence, they'll sometimes pretend to be with the public tv channels, just taking a survey, and try to find out if you're failing to pay that way.
    What's really annoying is how insatiable our public broadcasting services have become. Whereas everyone else on the planet looks at their budgets and plans accordingly. They simply plan ever grander schemes - new channels, new orchestras, new internet services, etc. - and then demand the monthly fee be raised. And sadly, most politicians are happy just to play along with it all.
    It's ironic, really, that in a time where there are cuts in the health or education system there's no politician with the guts to really cut down on the whole public broadcasting service. The first thing to go should be the intolerable "GEZ".

So I totally know where you're coming from.

7. solariabsg25

solariabsg25 Captain Captain

OMG I thought it was just us!!

It's definately seems a strange situation that a company can sit on their butts doing nothing and rake the money in. In theory, the Beeb could just show a couple of months of nothing but repeats - not like they'd lose revenue (but would have a hell of a public back-lash!).

With us though unlike the GEZ, the BBC do have a lot of enforcement powers, and can fine you £1,000 for not having a TV Licence. Even if proven that you use it only for video/DVD and don't even have any way of receiving broadcasts! We don't get charged for just radois though.

The BBC are similar in that they produce loads of programmes, such as real gems like "snog, marry, avoid", "When beauty goes wrong", etc. There are a few good programmes on there, but I personally would rather see the good programmes on BBC1 and/or BBC2, whereas they show repeats instead of good new content. Hell, they even tried burying "Torchwood" on BBC3, until they realsied that people actually wanted to watch it, so it ended up shown on BBC3, then repeated in the same week on BBC2.

Oh crap that reminds me, forgot to set up me direct debit - better phone 'em! :)

8. MyCylon

^
    You can get find in Germany as well. However, the burden's pretty much on them. And since they can't force their way into your home (not sure about any sensors they might be using) unless you actually state you have a TV yourself or they catch you lying (e.g. through those fake surveys), there's not that much they can do, really.

9. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

worst ratings since Painkiller Jayne

[​IMG]

and why these Skiffy idiots have green-lit Caprica?

10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Admiral Premium Member

Can we get a mod to close this thread so it can stay dead. :rolleyes:

11. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Students, this next graph demonstrates people's interest in TheMasterOfOrion's posts over time.

12. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

Isnt this a warnable offennse? Bumping months old topics for no reason and adding nothing of value?

13. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But if it gets closed then we will have to live without the constant reminder that nuBSG sucks, as the ratings clearly show. How will we ever learn?!?

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

This topic keeps resurrecting itelf! It's part Cylon. :eek:

15. dru

dru Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't see why. There were new episodes again and thus new ratings. :rolleyes:

16. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Because when you get right down to it, the point isn't the ratings at all. ;)

17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Admiral Premium Member

You do know the series finale is in a week and a half, right? :rolleyes:

18. MyCylon

They're obviously making money out of nuBSG and hope the same will be true for Caprica.

That's the only reason any company will greenlight anything and it's the way any company works. It's basic economics, really.

A strong emphasis in this strategy seems to be on the DVDs. Think about "Razor" or the "Plan" as well as the fact that the "Caprica" pilot debuts on DVD.

19. Bishbot

Bishbot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's some very classy answering him sensibly there Justtoyourleft. Just remember that this is the guy who whined to the mods in QSF that he doesn't feel welcome here and tried to get the BSG forum shut down because the show is ending/he's got some vendetta against the show. Kind of a hilarious thread actually.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=84330

20. MyCylon

^

And I remember him well enough.