Ratings are in !

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Archangel, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Phantassm

Phantassm Vice Admiral Admiral

Gosh,
    and here I was thinking that it'd be doing great with the great episodes they started with. Let's face it-Galactica is a DARK show and many people can't deal with it.

2. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I think sci-fi is going to find they shot themselves in the foot when they screwed up the Friday night block.

3. Russ

Russ Vice Admiral Admiral

Bingo.

Regardless of the obvious difference in tone that is apparent between the Gates and BSG, splitting up that "Sci Fi Friday" line-up was an incredibly stupid decision on their part.

It has already hurt the Gates, time will tell if it hurts BSG as well (though 2.2M for the premiere is a disappointment, a season average of 2.2M viewers is not).

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

Well, there is also the fact that the show took a 90 degree turn in the finale from where it was to what it is now. While it was bold and daring, that might have been a turn-off to some who didn't care for it. A possibility, maybe?

5. CinC_UFPForces

CinC_UFPForces Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For those who were on the fence? That's certainly a possibility. But I think the number of people who weren't commited to the show by the time of 2x20 would have been negligable.

6. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Damn, I went to the old ratings wager thread, and guess what I picked? 1.8. Crap.

7. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Remember also that it ran twice that night. Everyone I know caught the second showing. Mostly because most of them didn't know it was starting an hour earlier.

8. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I didn't know it was starting an hour earlier. I had to catch up on the late showing. It's not like I saw it advertised anywhere, and I sure don't watch anything else on skiffy.

9. Devnull

Devnull Captain Captain

hmm yes... After the huge gap between episodes and them changing the timeslot, 1.8 is pretty good.

10. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Its cool in my area its also advertised on the NBC station. Which can't hurt knowledge of the show.

As well as the high level of press.

When CBS got Viacom I was always pissed that Trek never got advertisedon teh network with greater coverage.

At least we see that NBC does do some of that for BSG.

Of course its still not as big a push that new shows or primary network shows get, but its certainly better then none.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the later showing got a slightly higher then normal rating.

We should get that info this week as well.

11. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

That explains it. I don't watch a thing on NBC, or ABC for that matter.

12. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

EXILE + ATTON = GUUUUUUSH!!!! (pic by aimo)
    This is the first time the series was in direct competition with fall series though.
    I like how SciFi spun the numbers.

"We're +2% better than Season 2.5's average!"

Anyhow, the numbers are actually close to Stargate's... so I have no idea if that means anything.

13. Kimi3013

Kimi3013 Captain Captain

I've got no idea what 1.8 means, nor really care, but what does a really popular show get? (something like CSI or House)

14. firehawk12

^
    Double digits, in the 20s or higher.
    Ah, looks like 20s were "Friends" numbers... oh well. :lol:

15. QuantumSingularity

QuantumSingularity Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

^Nah, that's the household share. This season, CSI is getting household ratings in the 13-14 range. The craziest household rating would be from American Idol, which IIRC was averaging near 18-19 HH ratings.

Anyway, as long as BSG can hold these ratings throughout the season, then it's good enough for Sci-Fi.

16. firehawk12

CSI hit an 18 HH last week, I think.
    But yeah, I don't think 20s have been hit since Friends went off the air.
    Well, other than the Superbowl I guess.

Interestingly, here are the cable ratings:
    http://www.nielsenmedia.com/ratings/cable_programs.html

Dominated by ESPN... and Nick?! :wtf:

17. QuantumSingularity

QuantumSingularity Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

^Hmm, but that's the HH share; I think the numbers in this thread are for HH ratings.

And yeah, Spongebob is awesome :).

18. firehawk12

Well, from the website, CSI got 18.2, followed by Desperate Housewives with at 15.8.
    But I do remember seeing Friends getting post 20 numbers... but it's so long now, and I have no idea where to find old Friends numbers.

But yeah, there are more Spongebob fans than... well, SciFi fans? That's kind of scary. :p
    Those kids are going to take over the world!

19. kipron

kipron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

blergh. i guess there's no accounting for taste. :eek:

(not that i care, as long as BSG doesn't get prematurely cancelled).

Come to think of it, BSG really IS like Carnivale, in that it's the best thing ever, only no ones watching. Oh well. :(

20. Phantassm

Phantassm Vice Admiral Admiral

...Well if you really like the show then you'd have to care because numbers determine whether or not the show continues. :wtf: You know, I think a lot of the problem too is the advent of technology that hurts a lot of shows. Tivo, Satilite recorders-a lot of people tape these shows so their vote doesn't get counted...or is it just the folks with Neilson boxes? My friends love BSG but rarely watch it first run. Their recorders are so full of crap that sometimes it takes a week to get to watching the show from watching all the other stuff.