Ratings are in !

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Archangel, Oct 10, 2006.

1. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

The reason for the big drop in 2 and 4 is because sci-fi heavily promoted it and people checked in. However, if you've never seen the show it's tough to get into with either "Scattered" or "He That Believeth in Me."

2. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

More Battlestar Galactica Nielsen Ratings: They Aren’t Great http://tvbythenumbers.com/2008/04/1...ica-nielsen-ratings-and-they-arent-great/3355

3. Gep Malakai

Gep Malakai Vice Admiral Admiral

This makes me feel better, knowing that I'm amongst an increasingly exclusive club of people who "get it."

:p

4. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know why people equate ratings with quality. Now you could perhaps make an argument for Ratings and enjoyment. After all we enjoy things that we know are both great to awful for various reasons.

I also have no problem with someone stating that the show is getting cancelled prematurely, because it is. Sure Moore and company have been given the great luxury of enough time to give the show a full season to end things (which is a great gift for a show). But does anyone truly believe that the producers and production company and studio and cable network originally only wanted a four year run?

Does anyone honestly believe that if the show had held on to 75% of its original audience that the show would actually end on its fourth season? I mean seriously, people.

Do I honestly think that the show could have used more time to tell those same stories? Absolutely. I would have loved more time to actually develop (instead of later just showing quick flashbacks) the New Caprica arc. I would have loved more episodes to show changes in the 2nd season instead of us just being told about it.

Am I a fan of the show? Absolutely. Even when I think they take the wrong path.

I also see no problem talking about the ratings of a show that has a set end date. I talked about TNG even knowing two years in advance when the end was. I still talk about Lost knowing when the end is going to be. So why the hell should BSG be any different?

5. Tamek

Tamek Admiral Admiral

Ditto.

6. Archangel

Archangel Guest

/Thinks it was interesting that when ratings were good it was a sign of how great BSG is...when they are in the toilet...they're meaningless.

7. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    To be honest, I always thought they were meaningless. I was happy when they were high because it made the chances of the series getting renewed go up, but I don't honestly think they are an indication of the shows actual quality at all.

8. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think anyone here was using the good ratings of a sign of how good the show was. I certainly can't remember any such statements.

I think what's more important to people is if their favorite show will continue or not. That was important before it was decided this season would be the last. Now that it's clear that it is and it seems like they're really pulling this true, they are, indeed, truly meaningless for people following the show.

I think it's interesting that people who don't like the show keep pulling out the ratings as alleged evidence of a drop in quality.

9. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

People really need to stop taking the bait.

10. Russ

Russ Vice Admiral Admiral

Just like to point out a small mistake I made. The miniseries averaged a 3.5, not a 3.2 (a 3.2 for part one and a 3.8 for part two).

11. Archangel

Archangel Guest

The bait of course being anything other than blind adoration for the show.

12. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, your bait was implying that since the ratings are down, the show obviously sucks. So, it's not the type of show some people watch, big deal. I'm not going to jump the ship and start hating it because the ratings dropped 2 points since the first season. The ratings are in no way indicative of the quality. To me, BSG is high quality. I thought the last two seasons of SG1 were high quality. I enjoyed Enterprise, especially the last two seasons of that. I absolutely adore Jericho. You know what every last one of those shows have in common? Low ratings. If people want to stop watching, let them. It shouldn't have any effect on us, and sure as hell doesn't have any effect on me and my viewing experience.

And, it ain't "blind adoration" for these shows either. I have more than my fair share of pet peeves, but it's good enough that those peeves don't really matter.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  13. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

LOL

By all means say the prices for the sets are inflated but the "already paid for with commercial advertising" stuff is a joke. :guffaw: I would never let either of you within 1000 yards of ever running a business I was a ssociated with.

14. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

I stopped watching after the PEGASUS two parter..mainly because the show just became a drag...but I did watch the season premier this season, and will continue to watch until the end...but all this religious stuff is becoming too BAB-5/DS9ish....And now we have the ship of lights????Ughhh..what's next? Bionic jumping kids on Earth and Fly cycles???

Rob

15. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^To be fair, there have been no Ship of Light or anything of that sort yet. Some people have said that they got that vibe from the premier, but all we have for now is Starbuck resurrected in a brand new viper.

16. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    And RDM said early on that the Ships of Light were part of the BSG Mythos that he wasn't interested in using. Sure, he could have changed his mind, but I see no indication that he has.

17. Noname Given

Noname Given Vice Admiral Admiral

RDM: "We said 'Hey, let's kill Starbuck; and she talked with Katee and she was up for it and we did it. Starbuck is dead and gone and not coming back..."

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The situation surroudning Starbuck's death has been the only time in the history of the show where RDM and others have attempted to perpetrate a lie for dramatic effect. Sure, he might do it again, but there's no evidence of a pattern at this point. Since he's been honest on all other things, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

19. Berg417448

Berg417448 Commander Red Shirt

And maybe it was only half a lie since there are spoilers out there indicating that
    Starbuck really did die.

20. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Interesting...