Ratings are in !

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Archangel, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

Muad Dib, I totally agree. I own all the seasons of BSG including the original seasons episodes. It is a great show and I will be sorry to see it go.

2. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not sure if it is fair to compare nuBSG witb other scifi shows, but you can compare the ratings stats with its existing fanbase
    It used to pulled ratings higher than 3.5....now it pulls something like a 1.3 which means over 50% of the fans have stopped watching the show, personally I think the show might have shark jumped with all that soap opera BS

Moore and Eick said many times they would have liked to see a 5th season, Skiffy's nielsen ratings dictated otherwise and so the 4th will be dragged out for another two years. Things started to go wonky at the end of S2, the signs of structural weakness were there. I thought the show was better when they stuck to a smaller 13 episode arc and gave each character good airtime.....I mean how long can you drag out this - cylon plan, kara's destiny business

3. Garth Rockett

Garth Rockett Commodore Commodore

I don't understand why anyone would care either way what the ratings are for a show that has already announced it's in its last season. If you like the show, watch the last episodes and enjoy it. If you don't, presumably you're not watching it anyway, so what?

Quality is subjective anyway. If ratings on BSG are down, all that tells me is a lot of people have bad taste in television. But I knew that anyway.

4. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ratings only matter if a show is in danger of not being able to complete the story it's telling. Now that the show will run to completion, I don't care if any one else on the planet watches the show besides me.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  5. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

6. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those numbers suck! We don't want best, we want to be better than best! We want numbers like regular networks get! They ought to just end it now... ;)
    That's good to hear. Hopefully it'll hold up, not that it really matters at this point.

7. Russ

Russ Vice Admiral Admiral

These are actually very good numbers for BSG, considering the audience loss over season three and what other programs on the network have gotten. I don't want to say much because I'm at school and don't have access to my data, but this 1.6 is just slightly off from last season's premiere (1.8 coverage HH rating), however viewerwise they were very close (Season 4 premiere: 2.14M, Season 3 premiere: 2.16M). They were so close because in addition to there being more TV homes in the US than last year, SCI FI is also now available in more homes so the difference between the coverage rating (1.6) and the national rating (1.3) isn't as big as usual.

Some quick points:
    20% increase over last season's average (in terms of household rating) and a 41% increase over the season three finale in terms of viewers (1.52M to 2.14M) and 33% among the household rating (1.2 to 1.6).

Now we'll see if it holds its audience like it did in season 1, or drops quickly like season 2 and 3.

I'll have some charts in a little while when I get home.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  8. Cyrus

Cyrus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe the media hype or DVDs are finally creating new viewers for BSG. We have to see if this holds, are people just checking it out or are they are hooked.

9. Russ

Alright, now that I'm back, here are some numbers and a chart to look over.

Averages (coverage household rating)
    Miniseries - 3.50
    Season 1 - 2.38
    Season 2 - 1.97
    Season 3 - 1.39
    Season 4 - 1.60

Premieres (coverage household rating/viewers)
    Miniseries Part 1 - 3.2 (3.90M)
    Miniseries Part 2 - 3.8 (4.46M)
    Season 1 - 2.6 (3.05M)
    Season 2 - 2.6 (3.05M)
    Season 3 - 1.8 (2.16M)--2 episodes/2 hours
    Season 4 - 1.6 (2.14M)

And here is a chart from the mini-series through the season 4 premiere (including the two-part miniseries individually and the Razor TV movie):

click to enlarge
    [​IMG]

10. archeryguy1701

Two quick questions:
    A) Did the miniseries show on SciFi? And...
    B)Did the way ratings were counted change over the years? I'm not calling the downward trend into question, but I was under the impression that if a SciFi show scored a 1.8 Neilson, it was cause for major celebration.

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

(a) The miniseries did indeed air on sci-fi

(b) No idea. I'm guessing that 1.8 being good for the sci-fi channel is dependent on the programming being cheap to produce (which Galactica is not). Also, less people have been watching TV each passing year, so a 1.8 may be desirable now whereas a higher rating would have been desirable a few years ago.

12. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Then you will have no problem providing us with links.

13. Russ

Your first question was already answered. So onto your second.

No. The way that ratings are counted has not changed. However, the amount of households with TV's for the 2007/2008 season is above what they were back when the miniseries aired in December 2003 and SCI FI has also been added into more households over the years. There are currently 112.8M TV households in the US. Of those, SCI FI reaches 93M. The rating tabulated based on the reach of a particular Cable network, in this case SCI FI, is called the coverage rating. The rating tabulated based on the entire TV universe is called the national rating.

All the numbers in my chart are coverage ratings.

Perhaps charts for Stargate SG1 (the SCI FI years of 6-10) and Stargate Atlantis (Season 1-4) will put the numbers for BSG into perspective.

click to enlarge
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. archeryguy1701

I can't see the Atlantis chart, but I do see similarities between SG1 numbers and BSG numbers.

15. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Those are great ratings. At this point it matters only in relation to Caprica. Of course, some of you don't want that show so you should be hoping for bad ratings. :p

16. PG15

PG15 Admiral Admiral

There is also DVR we have to think about now. Many more people are watching recordings instead of watching it live.

17. Archangel

Archangel Guest

Ah yes....the nebulous uncounted people recording the show...

Of course I'm betting the same percentage recorded it when the ratings were good...

For the "DVR" argument to have merit you would have to have an increase in recorded viewings while having a decrease in live viewers....

fails logic test.

18. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    Unless I'm missing something that makes perfect sense to me. More people recording and watching at a later time and not watching live. It seems perfectly logical that as more people record for later viewing that fewer watch live.

19. Bishbot

Bishbot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not to mention that, being in the uk, I know at least seven or eight people that watch the show but won't show up in the ratings figures, if you catch my drift. There must be thousands and thousands of those in the states as well as across the world - ok, that doesn't prove the show is a money-maker for SciFi, quite the opposite, but it does show that its popular, which, since this discussion is about quality and no-one here cares how much money SciFi makes, should be relevant.

20. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not "cheap to produce", but rather "cheap to buy". Especially if it's making tons of money on DVD sales, Universal might be giving Skiffy a break up front in expection of making it back via DVD.