Quality declination?

Discussion in 'The Next Generation' started by JesterFace, Jul 11, 2014.

1. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Captain Captain

The first season is more ballsy and adventurous, so I can totally understand why that appeals to some better than the more subdued later seasons. Too bad the writing on those early episodes is pants.

2. Jewel

Jewel Ensign Red Shirt

I agree with this too. I like season 7. Lower Decks is one of my favorite all time episodes and I think shows that the series had a lot more stories it could have told.

It's interesting that people think season one is the most adventurous and daring. I find it stilted and obvious, and quite cliched. Different strokes!

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would also count Gambit as one of the show's greatest episodes but I know I'm in the minority there.

Season 7 was definitely the least consistent season.

4. RunawayStarShip

RunawayStarShip Lieutenant Red Shirt

Season 1 is possibly remembered a bit harshly because the first half of that season contains most of the season's worst episodes. The second half of the season is actually pretty good compared to the other seasons in terms of the good-to-bad ratio. There are still awkward moments, but as stated above, numerous production choices more than make up for those. (I'd actually argue that in the second half, only "Angel One" is really bad and the rest range from mediocre to good.)

Season 2 is kind of the same way, but in reverse. It really crashes at the end of the season after "Q Who" (due to the writers' strike?). The final six after "Q Who" basically has one good episode ("The Emissary"), one average episode ("Peak Performance"), three bad episodes, and a clip show for the finale.

5. Ghrakh

Ghrakh Captain Captain

Nope, TNG got better after moving out of the TOS shadow and becoming not only its own fully realized show but also the most popular trek show of all.

6. medwatt

medwatt Ensign Newbie

In my case, I enjoyed seasons 5-6 the best and possibly my favourite episode of the entire series is "The Inner Light" because its the episode I resonated mostly with. Personally, I enjoyed all those episodes which involved black-outs of some sort. Maybe that's why I chose seasons 5-6.

7. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Season 2 is my favourite season of TNG.

I think Seasons 2-4 represent the best TNG had to offer.

I also think, as somebody else said, the second half of season 1 unfairly gets lumped in with the first half... there are some great episodes in there ("Heart Of Glory" and "Conspiracy" spring immediately to mind).

8. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Commodore Commodore

It seems to me as though Season 7 offers the least imagination and creativity, relatively speaking. Overall, I still find it to be entertaining, nevertheless.