Q & A - inspiration for alternate realities

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by dstyer, Jan 21, 2016.

1. dstyer

dstyer Commander Red Shirt

I was just re-reading the novel Q & A by Keith R.A. DeCandido and would like to ask the following:
    In Chapter 17, there are brief scenes in several alternate realities. I would like to know if anyone has determined where Keith got his inspiration for these alternates. I've figured out some, and would like help with the rest.

Page 231 USS Enterprise – Following the deleted ending from Star Trek: Nemesis.

Page 232 FSS Enterprise – Branching off from events in “The Icarus Factor”.

Page 233 USV Enterprise - ??? Picard is hardwired into the ship.

Page 234 US Enterprise - ??? Featuring a Captain Wesley Crusher.

Page 236 ISS Enterprise – Branching off from TOS “Mirror, Mirror” but going in a different direction than what was seen in Deep Space Nine.

Page 237 USS Enterprise – Following the timeline glimpsed in “Tapestry.”

Page 239 IKS Qu' - ??? Klingons have conquered the quadrant.

Opinions, thoughts and other comments welcome.

Jinn likes this.
  2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That last one could be Yesterday's Enterprise

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think they just come from Keith's own imagination. With countless alternate timelines in the multiverse, they can't all be spun off of events we know.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

KRAD does still occasionally post on here, so if you're lucky you might be able to get an answer directly from him.

5. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Let's try summoning him:

@KRAD !

Jinn likes this.
  6. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Mighty @KRAD We require your assistance!

7. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

The ISS Enterprise (page 236) was, I figured, from the Mirror Universe of Diane Duane's Dark Mirror, which was written before DS9 went to the Mirror Universe.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Not exactly. In Dark Mirror, Dr. Soong was executed in an Imperial purge and never created any androids. The ISS Enterprise in Q&A had Lore as first officer, so they can't be the same universe.

9. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Happy to help. :)

Correct. I actually really really hated that deleted scene, and so took a certain joy in consigning it to an alternate timeline and to firmly establish in the mainline timeline that Picard didn't even know who Martin Madden was.

Having said that, I was kind of intrigued by the notion of Hedril as the new ship's counselor......

Not just that: Worf and Troi also continue their relationship -- perhaps because Riker isn't around.

Just a notion of my own, something more futuristic than Trek ever really did.

Just a straight-up alternate timeline in which Picard pursued the sciences rather than command -- maybe his fight with the Nausicaans turned out differently, maybe he never even had the fight with the Nausicaans, so he followed a much different career track, not coming to command until later. Meanwhile, Wesley eventually became a captain.

I actually came up with a TNG mirror universe notion of my own when I was in college, before Dark Mirror was published. Never really had a plot, but two things I thought would be the case if the MU was still nasty was that La Forge would never have been allowed to live and that Lore would be there instead of Data. So I ran with that.

Oh yes. Given Q's involvement in that story, I had to look in on Lieutenant (j.g.) Picard a decade later.

Nothing specific, just a timeline in which the Klingons were not the shiny-happy Klingons of TNG. I wasn't thinking "Yesterday's Enterprise" exactly, but the same sort of general notion, where the Federation-Klingon alliance didn't really go anywhere.

David cgc and trampledamage like this.
  10. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks, KRAD!

11. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

I love those glimpses, and the FSS prefix (Federation Starship) makes a lot of sense. History's gonna get interesting when the Federation starts exploring nearby alternate realms they way it explores different quadrants now.

12. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well Memory-Omega in the Mirror Universe does that I believe.

At least they view other realities, not sure how often they send people to them.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Very interesting insights into those realities. It's always so nice to get these kinds of answers directly from the authors.

14. Jinn

I've just re-read the 5th interlude of Q & A. It was revealed that Q sent the Enterprise to the Borg before Voyager would encounter them (for some reson). In the same novel Q uses reverse psychology to trick Picard into going to the planet's surface. If you combine those facts would that mean that Q is or has impersonated admiral Hayes, @KRAD ?

15. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

What do you mean? That interlude is talking about "Q Who", not "First Contact".

16. Jinn

After re-reading it again I missinterpreted the "Them" for the Voyager's crew and not for Them. Sorry :(

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like how the Klingon-controlled Enterprise was called the Qu', which is the Klingon word for Enterprise. At least the Klingons cared enough about the ship to keep its name... :klingon: :lol:

As for the USV Enterprise: Kind of scared me, to be honest. What happens if that Picard gets cabin fever? Can he ever disconnect?

18. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Hey, KRAD, did you take any inspiration for the alternate Enterprise scenes in Q & A from the somewhat similar setup in Maximum Warp Book 2?

19. Jinn

I think you summon perople now by using @[name].

Kilana2 likes this.
  20. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

You never used to "summon" people by typing their name in bold, but yes, if you put @Jinn or @KRAD they'll get a notification.