Project: Potemkin, a Star Trek Fan Film

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Potemkin_Prod, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Project Potemkin
    http://www.projectpotemkin.com

live action cast: TBD (casting to begin in march/april)
    characters: original crew will depend on the actors cast in the roles
    characterizations: TBD

sets: physical (construction is about to begin)
    quality: TBD (backlit acetates will provide the majority of consoles)
    costuming: TBD (working with a seamstress now on the tunics)

special effects: TBD (yet to be discussed)

base of operations: Georgia

setting: U.S.S. Potemkin, NCC-1711; The Undiscovered Country-era time frame

music: TBD (yet to be discussed)

ease of navigation: n/a
    content: announcement & article on bridge

notes:
    interested individuals should contact us at producer@projectpotemkin.com for more information.

Other production notes:
    * Series will be emphasizing science fiction concepts, much as the first season of Star Trek did.
    * Volunteers sought for every stage of development.
    * Fred Dixon has joined the team as a series consultant.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2012
  2. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: New Star Trek Fan Film

Good to hear, I wish you guys all the best, these things can be quite an untertaking but definetly worth it when it's done.

3. Picard Alpha

Picard Alpha Commander Red Shirt

Looks like quite the undertaking, let me know if you ever need any help or advice!

youtube.com/ryanthewebber

4. Potemkin_Prod

Thanks! Right now, we're searching for the right location. It's slow going. No one wants to show warehouses when it's 31F outside. :)

5. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

6. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Definitely interested in helping out on this one, as I live in Georgia (Ft Benning)...

7. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmmm...

"The website declined to show this webpage"

And then...

>More information
    This error (HTTP 403 Forbidden) means that this program was able to connect to the website, but it does not have permission to view the webpage.

8. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

I can open it just fine... :confused:

9. Barbreader

I just want to say I'm interested in seeing some real Sci Fi (as opposed to Fantasy) work. That was what, for me and most of my in-person friends, made Trek special.

10. Potemkin_Prod

Would love to have your help. We're scouting locations this week with an eye on construction to begin in February.

Sorry to hear you're having problems, but I've checked it every few hours and it's fine.

Yes. Think of Star Trek in science fiction terms, and you'll have our concept pretty nailed down.

We updated the website a few nights ago, and we'll have another update this weekend or Monday.

11. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, let me know what you need and when, as well as your general schedule. I plan on taking leave from mid March to mid April, but can modify if needed. Also, I'd like to try out for the cast, and again, if needed, let me know what I need to do so, such as getting a uniform ready and what not.

I sent you an email, but if you didn't get it, I can send again.

12. vedek

vedek Commander Red Shirt

Any production is an undertaking, I know...I worked on Starship Exeter - The Tressaurian Intersection. It wasn't cold working on that gig, quite the contrary, it was 109 degrees during the days when we built sets. We worked at Austin Studios in an old Airplane hangar, even at night it was over 90.

13. Potemkin_Prod

Yesterday, I finally got into the warehouse that we're likely to use. Looks good. Oddly square, which facilitates the bridge set, I suppose. No heat, no air conditioning, but a nice, high roof that should help tremendously. No leaks, and a security fence with parking for at least two dozen cars.

Right now, we're looking for a few more donations so we can upgrade the electrical service. Hopefully, those will be forthcoming, and we can get things rolling. We don't want to start construction until we know we've got enough electrical outlets and all to power the lighting.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Electrical demands are a bitch. If you use halogen lighting equipment rather than tungsten it's not as bad, but that's only in relative terms.

Heating and air conditioning - you can't run them when the camera's rolling anyway. :lol:

15. Potemkin_Prod

What kind of service did your facility have, Dennis? We're thinking we need to bump ours up to 200.

No, and my wife pointed out to me that there's a railroad track only a couple of hundred yards away from the set. We're going to have to go there on a Saturday and see what the RR traffic's going to be like.

R

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's really tough to find a warehouse that's not very near a railroad or major highway, for obvious reasons - people want to take delivery of and move their wares.

I will ask my DP for the specs on our electrical set-up - I knew them but these things don't stay in my mind - but I do know that the day we moved in he was more than happy with what was available but by day two of the shoot we were required to unplug the microwave so as not to trip all the circuit breakers.

17. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

A 200 hundred amp service should be fine, unless your doing multiple simultaneous shooting in different parts of the structure. Dennis mentioned external sources that could cause noise while shooting, also be wary of how wind and rain may sound in the warehouse (especially if the roof is metal) if you plan to shoot while it raining. Good ADR will fix those issues, but just things to be wary of.

There are alot of ways to do stuff on the cheap end so you don't break your budget. You will find that being near a discount store like Walmart will be an absolute god send!! If you plan to use live computer displays (vs. cgi'ing it in later) on your bridge or whereever, you can pretty much get some old 10 year old P3 computers for free (or very cheap as people are dumping them all the time.) to run them. If you and your friends don't have alot of tools to build sets, think about renting vs. buying unless you need them all the time. You probably can get free pallets to use that wood as unseen framework to hold plywood set pieces up. If you do have stores like Home Depot and Walmart, think about getting credit cards for those stores as you will have greater flexibilty in your budget vs. paying cash for everything outright. There are alot of things you can do to save.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  18. Potemkin_Prod

I'm meeting with the other two producers tomorrow to discuss it. I've got a great electrician, and dropping in a 200 amp service won't be a problem. I just need to see what Van recommends about the power, and then we're off on construction.

We're opting not to use any sort of monitor at this time. We can CGI anything like that in as necessary. We're mainly using backlit panels. I'm still concerned about glare and flare from them, but that's something we can't do anything about until we actually get the first segment of the bridge built.

The train track problem doesn't look like it's going to jeopardize the situation except at 10:30am, 3:00pm and 11:30pm weekdays. We'll see how the weekends are Saturday.

We're also now considering what to do about the viewscreen. Has anyone tried rear-projection with one of the digital projectors available these days?

19. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Not sure how well that will hold up, it also depends on what your using to film wth. If it were me I would green screen it since you plan to use CGI for other parts anyways. Downside being the more CGI you use the longer the over all production will be, depending on the shots of course. Lighting will be one of the hardest things as each shooting environment is differerent, it's really a hard skill that alot of people over look.

Glad you got you electrician on it. As an industrial structure the individual circuit amperage should be 20 amps or higher and all wire needs to be 12 guage or higher (no cheap household 14/2 or 14/3 LOL) but thats all standard electrical code anyways.

20. Barbreader

I would just like to throw in my two cents... I find a set adds greatly to a production.