Problems getting Windows Vista to update

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by RedShirt, Sep 18, 2010.

1. RedShirt

RedShirt Captain Captain

My fiancé's laptap has refused to update for over a year now and is still stuck on Vista SP1. I've fiddled with this issue off & on but am now at my wit's end.
    The updater history shows that SP2 downloaded but failed to install in 9 different occasions in the past, however now this laptop cannot connect Microsoft.com downloadable content - not even to manually download SP2.

Below is a copy of the support request I sent to Microsoft, hopefully it contains all the pertinent information:

I'm not expect a reply until at least Monday.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated by both myself and my fiancé.
    Thanks in advance.

2. diankra

diankra Commodore Commodore

I've had a similar, if not identical, problem with a Vista laptop since February-ish, and I'm sorry to say, nothing has sorted it out. I've pretty much written the laptop off, and wouldn't touch Vista with a bargepole.

Sorry not to be able to pass on more useful advice (because the best advice I can give is 'Don't waste too much time on a lost cause').
    Hope someone can suggest something that will help you more.

3. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

Windows networking can be the most frustrating thing imaginable. There can be multiple reasons you can't connect, my money is on a virus you had, or still have. I would download Malwarebytes anti-malware, let it update and try to fix your system. Another option is using system restore to go back before you started having problems and allow it to update again. Otherwise I would reload Vista from scratch and start over.

4. RedShirt

RedShirt Captain Captain

It was a trojan.
    It's fixed now.