Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

While I see the resemblance, I don't think it's so bad. Besides, I think it's rather refreshing to have a mentor figure that's an actual in-the-flesh extraterrestrial (and not just a head on the wall like Gosei). We haven't had one of those since SPD.

I usually don't bother when they air episodes online early, but I might make an exception this time.

BTW, RangerCrew has uploaded a bunch of clips from the first episode on one of their Youtube channels.

2. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally saw it. A few notes (AND SPOILERS!):

-We're only 1 episode in and the Rangers are already better developed as characters than the last two teams, and particularly Mega Force. They didn't seem generic cookie cutters or wannabe analogues of the originals.

-Red, in particular, is a much better actor than the previous two, who seemed to be models first (it helps that he already had some good acting experience, such as an appearance on American Horror Story)

-How awesomely grim is it to start the episode with the destruction of the Earth? That's pretty gutsy for an American kids' show, but in a way it evokes the premiere for Go-Busters, too. The upbeat nature of the episode and the vibrant colors in the museum overrode it, which is perfectly fine.

-There's no samba to the morph (yay!) But it's only the first episode, so who knows? The samba might become routine later on.

-Final battle of the episode was a bit short, but hey, that's fine for a first episode. And I liked how it twisted some tropes (e.g. accidentally morphing, not knowing how to handle the gun, etc)

-With that said, I really like how fluid and fast the wirework was in this episode. It evokes some of the older PR shows like Time Force, without the overkill of some of the Disney seasons.

-Only downside really -- the same sound effects they've been using since Dino Thunder, complete with the squeaky sounds and the generic laser sound. If they start reusing the same dollar store toy laser sounds that the Simpsons uses (and it's a comedy), I'm going to be pretty annoyed

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

I had an idea that a MOTW could cause the Rangers to dance when they don't want to.

Then they master it and we get some kyoryuger footage.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't mind an alien mentor in principle... it's just that I hated the movie E.T. and its title character gives me the creeps, so I dislike the reminder.

EDIT: Oh, hell... On my phone, using both Android and Chrome, the episode freezes at the end of the main titles and won't play any farther. And the screen is too small for me to see the picture that well anyway. I think I need reading glasses.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  5. Cyke101

Oh good, there's another. Some days I think I'm the only one!

6. Cyke101

7. Samurai8472

Someone has died and he worries about the franchise image

[​IMG]

:whatever:

8. Cyke101

I really wish he wouldn't talk during somber news events. Someone died and their family is going to suffer. If Medina accidentally did it, he has to live with what he did. Jason Faunt had a much more suitable tweet.

9. JD

JD Admiral Admiral

Yeah, in a situation like this I think the reputation of the franchise should be the least of anybody's concerns.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

What series was this from?
    [​IMG]

11. Cyke101

The second season, when Katy Repulsa challenged our heroes to a faceoff:

http://imgur.com/JVlP5cl

12. Mr. Adventure

Whoa, way more ambitious than my post! haha

13. Stephen!

Stephen! Captain Captain

Maybe they'll get rid of Kyoryuzin's cockpit as well (and replace it with an American one) since it has it has "Kyoryuzin" on it.

[​IMG]

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^They've kept some of the original text from the Sentai shows without bothering to justify it, like some of the Goseiger cards in Megaforce season one (like "Seaick Brothers" being called "Sea Brothers" but the text clearly visible), or like in Super Megaforce where the RPM Zord clearly had "Engine Sentai Go-onger" written on the tires.

15. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Medina is not being charged; police continue to investigate. His lawyer says that it is an obvious case of self-defense.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/31125228

16. Stephen!

Stephen! Captain Captain

Gold Ninninger with probably the most ridiculous "morpher" ever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Mr. Adventure

Is that a cheeseburger? lol

18. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

When I read that I assumed you had to have meant just in Sentai, as the PR exclusive Solar Morphers (the sunglasses) from Jungle Fury are tough to beat in that regard.

But nope, this is a cheeseburger. A cheeseburger morpher. Wow. It looks like it supposed to be some kind of parody. It even makes Cam's guitar in Ninja Storm actually seem not ridiculous by comparison (though I assume that's not so crazy in the context of Hurricaneger... right?).

19. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

lmao! Ninninger is gonna be awesome.

20. Samurai8472

Ninja Cowboy.

Let the awesomness sink in

A guitar-playing, burger-using, bison-riding cowboy sheriff ninja.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ninja Cowboy.

Let the awesomness sink in