Poll: 7x08 Cold War review and discussion

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Lonemagpie, Apr 13, 2013.

?

Rate episode 7x08 Cold War

1. Geronimo!

27.4%
  2. NIce Warrior!

53.2%
  3. lukewarm

16.9%
  4. Will spring never come?

2.4%
  5. Dive Dive Dive!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

I think it works like this although it's Doctor Who science and doesn't really have to make complete sense. If you live in the TARDIS for any amount of time it translates whatever you hear to your language. I guess everyone is technically not speaking english, but in the Doctor's language(Gallifrenese I guess?)

2. Zeppster

Also when you travel through all of time and space the other side of a planet isn't really all that far don't you think?

3. Zeppster

As far as the episode goes, overall it's a solid episode.

I loved how even though they did do some different things with the Ice Warriors they still kept them faithful to the past. There were nudges to the past DW stories but you didn't have to watch any previous Ice Warrior stories to enjoy this one. Good tension throughout. The only weakness is that David Warner did kinda go wasted as more of comic relief, but he still played his role adequately.

4. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I know that both American and Soviet submarines during the Cold War conducted scientific researches. Probably the scientist was assigned to the sub for such a mission?

I have seen the interior of Soviet submarines on documentaries. I don't think that a realistic depiction of a sub would be conducive to the story, for there would be nowhere for the ice warrior and its prey to hide.

5. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

You said it! I kept expecting claws to burst out of his chest and a big splash of blood and the Professor's head lands in Clara's lap!
    It would have been a growing experience for her.

6. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's definitely the case, the niggle is whether a sub carrying nuclear weapons - rather than a nuclear powered one - would be assigned to such a mission.

7. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

No. Not at all. Only Fast Attack Submarines did that.

Ballistic missile subs were far too important to waste on that kind of mission.

8. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since the Doctor travels through time and regularly visits Earth, just how many locations was the TARDIS in at this moment in time? Of they all network together, translating over distance may not be that big an issue.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

This could be a Doctor Detector UNIT or the Government could use to track the Doctor and this shit that's following him or he's following.

Even if there's a random alien phrase to inserted into the letterhead of all their official documents that they can't read as English until the TARDIS materializes some where nearby.

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

It was really fun to watch old school scale models return to doctor who. The sub model also shook like it was from a old TV series.

[​IMG]

11. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice praise for Matt in the Slate Dr. Who blog...

12. Flibble

Flibble Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am sure that I saw some mention of a possible return of Captain Jack Harkness in this episode but I can not remember where I read it. Any clues..anyone?

13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

On John Barrowman's Facebook or Twitter page, he alluded that he might be involved in the Anniversary Special, and then later retracted it. Some believe the Anniversary Special he may be involved in is the Big Finish Audio Anniversary Special

14. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Tom could be an effective villain, as we saw with Meglos and Xoanon. He could do the Gowron evil eye bit very well, and the shock of hair widened his face. He reminded me of Goya's painting Saturn Devouring His Son.