Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters trailer and commentary

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I doubt this will have much interest among us. Made for the teen set.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KoOtiuSjuI[/yt]

Here's a funny article about that trailer, and how it borrows from almost every other sci fi/ fantasy franchise around.

2. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I was disappointed in the first movie. It was too teen oriented for me. Now with Twilight, Hunger Games and others, there is Science Fiction/Fantasy for the teen set.

I probabaly will rent this though. :)

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen the first one or read the books yet, but I thought it looked like it could be fun.

4. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is Kronos sealed up in the Lost Ark?

5. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

It might be aimed at teens, but I thoroughly enjoyed the first film. I'll be catching this when it's released on Blu-Ray.

6. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My kids and I loved the series, and we're currently reading the sequel series (The Heroes of Olympus). I was very disappointed in the first movie, mainly because of all the changes they made. Watching the trailer, it seemed like they purposely made it for people like me, who were upset at those changes, because this one highlights everything the first one left out: Clarisse, Kronos, Annabeth as a blonde and Mr. D, to name a few.

I get the feeling that they're sticking closer to the script on this one, but I forsee some cuts (I'm betting they cut out the detour onto Crice's island, because of the effects and the fact that it's something easily cut, without hurting the plot).

As for it being a teen movie, well, yes, but in the same way that Harry Potter was. In fact, having a working knowledge of Greek mythology really makes this series more entertaining.

I cannot say enough good things about the books, though. I'd say, if you're even slightly interested, read the first book, The Lightning Thief, but skip the movie. If you like it, then either read Sea of Monsters or wait for this movie.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So Riodan did actually stay fairly close to the mythology then? I've wondered how close it was since I first heard about the books.

8. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For this adult reader, Riordan's Greek mythology is by far the biggest appeal. He is quite thorough in his research. Loved that.

9. montag01

montag01 Ensign Red Shirt

That magical taxi cab ride they take sure looks a WHOLE lot like the magic trolley ride Harry Potter takes in Prisoner of Azkaban.

10. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

but is there a cauldron of penguins?

11. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Bumping just to mention that I saw this last weekend and wasn't too disappointed.. The first one was better, but Firefly fans will be very happy with the Nathan Fillion scene. I wonder if he has it written into his contracts that there HAS to be a Firefly reference in EVERYTHING he's in... LOL...

12. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Not really my cup.. feels like someone wanted to do a Teenager action adventure and just slapped in some Greek mythology.

Harry Potter at least invented its own world and own mythology (even if the kids acting was atrocious in the first movies and some haven't improved).

13. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw it when it came out and my review is up on Flickering Myth. I thought the first one was much better. This one was okay, but there wasn't much tension. And...

When that girl died (I'm terrible with names) it was the most pointless thing ever since they were obviously going to use the fleece to save her.

14. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed... The first movie was far and away better... The Annabeth (sp?) character was completely useless in the second movie... There was really no other reason for her to be there.. In the first movie, she was the "muscle" of the group, but with having Mars' daughter in the second movie, there was no need for her.

My daughter, who is a big fan of the books, says that Annabeth's badassery was overplayed in the first movie, that it's more understated in the books... She added that she was much more in character in the second movie...

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I found the first movie to be better than I thought it would be (don't know the books), and the second one was a solid follow up but disappointing in a few ways.

I was very disappointed that Annabeth had so little to do because she was the most interesting character in the first one. Also, the new character Clarice was a carbon copy of Annabeth when she initially appeared.

I was also disappointed that the "Sea of Monsters" had literally ONE sea monster in it :p :p :p I spent the whole movie looking forward to a bunch of fantastical creatures!

16. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The Annabeth in the first movie was a combination of Book Annabeth and Book Clarice. For this movie, to make it more true to the books, they split her and Clarice back into two characters.

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Well that's confusing. It was also extremely confusing that Giles was playing Pierce Brosnan's character since I didn't remember the character name. Also that all of a sudden "Mister D" was in charge of the camp when Pierce Brosnan was the sole guy in charge in the last movie.

So, Annabeth is even more of a Hermoine in the books than she was in the first movie?

18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The Brosnan/Anthony Head Centaur character is called "Chiron".

Mister D is also from the books, he got cut out of the first movie.

Annabeth is more or less a Hermione in the books, and her hair color is Blonde as well (which also got fixed for this film).

Boy, Jake Abel keeps getting cast as the Teen villain doesn't he?