Original Series Doctors Protest Lack Of 50th Involvement

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Sep 9, 2013.

1. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Even hundreds of vocal fans on Tumblr and Blogger is still a small segment of fandom. There just isn't any massive grassroot movement, or really, any kind of momentum towards including a classic Doctor in the 50th anniversary special.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Got to say, I don't get the outrage over Day of the Doctor "ignoring" classic Who, and I say that as someone who would have liked a classic Doctor brought back.

But, it seems to me that we have An Adventure in Time and Space to celebrate the classic era while Day of the Doctor is focusing on the current era. Sure, it might not be the same as seeing Matt Smith interacting with an elderly Tom Baker and a digitally inserted William Hartnell, but it's better than nothing.

3. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, you've got your head in the sand I see!

We may very well end up with a great story without classic Doctors, that's what I'm hoping for. But, there are many who do want a classic Doctor in the story.

Mr Awe

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Sure, there's alot of folks who would have liked to see Classic Doctors (I'm also one, in fact I would've liked to see a whole Series or Half Series with Classic Guest stars in each episode, building up to a massive Anniversary Special Cumination), but, the folks "insulted" by the lack of Classic Doctors or saying it'll suck or have their mind set on hating it is indeed small

5. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not so much annoyed at the lack of classic Doctors, but that we've been given a big celebrity name fake Doctor instead. It's really cynical and shallow.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Or bold and unexpected depending on your point of view :)

7. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Its a great idea adding a previously unknown incarnation to the Doctors past but it really all hinges on whether the episode ends with a reset button i.e. Gallifrey in the End of Time.

8. Mr Awe

Yeah, I'd agree with that. No point going into it expecting it to suck! Try to enjoy it folks!

I would've prefered a classic Doctor be included but hopefully it's so good I won't mind.

The funny thing is that I'm sure 50 years from now for the 100th anniversary, fans will be insulted that David Tennant wasn't asked to return! :lol:

Mr Awe

9. Mr Awe

What we call it now is totally irrelevant. The only important thing is the quality of the execution and what we think of it after we see it in just over a month. So, let's not pre-label it.

It might be a bold and unexpected idea, but if the story is no good it's all for nothing. However, I generally trust Moffat's storytelling abilities so I think it'll be good.

Mr Awe

10. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

I have two words for Stephen Moffat. I hope he takes them with the intent of where they come from. They are: Rick Berman.

You all saw how we thanked him for his "valentine gift to the fans".

11. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

This.

Those fans may have kept the show alive in their hearts, and opened the possibility to a revival, but it's the shows massive success with the mainstream audience that it a successful revival. If it was only the "fans who kept it alive" who were watching, there wouldn't be enough to keep it going. So, it SHOULD be a big thank you to the mainstream audience who have discovered it and actually keep it on the air.

It's not fair, I know, but that's the reality. The show isn't made for those who are buying the comics, buying all of the figures, making their own costumes--yes, they might be the soul of the audience, but, without the rest, there would be no show. The show is made for a big broad family audience.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure how to take your intent myself so unsure if Moffat would either, because Berman and 'these are the voyages' could probably be taken two ways in the context of the 50th. either it was too much fan service at the expense of the current show, or not enough thought given to the fans?

13. Noddy

Noddy Captain

I liked the idea of Riker and Troi interacting with the NX-01 crew via the holodeck; I just wish they'd had a better reason in-story to do so.

14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

TATV certainly showed that bringing back former actors doesn't necessarily make for a good or well-received episode. Not an exact analogy to what we're discussing, I know, but like anything else, it shows that execution is key in how you celebrate a show or franchise's past.

15. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

From comments Moffat is making, it really looks like he's planning on looking forward to another 50 years as opposed to the past. I think that's a very legitimate approach.

16. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

I guess the best interpretation is that, like Berman, Moffatt believes he knows what the fans want. A worse case scenario is that he just doesn't care what they want.

17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Well, if this board is anything to go by, there is no one thing that 'the fans' want and he's never going to please everyone by giving them what 'they' want. So all he can do is write the best story that he feels he can write and hope at least a majority of viewers enjoy it.

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I think that sums up the situation more than adequately!

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

This. I don't want a fan service tv show.

20. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    That's pretty optimistic, considering he'll probably be dead in 50 years.

The world is becoming an increasingly ephemeral place (kinda like how the aliens saw Tegan, Turlough, and the Doctor in Enlightenment - an excellent Fifth Doctor story, btw, that wraps up the Black Guardian story arc that began in The Ribos Operation), and while some people honor the past, others have the idea that if it happened more than 10 years ago, it's old and irrelevant.