Original Series Doctors Protest Lack Of 50th Involvement

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, and just a few stories later (Planet of Fire) he was already looking for new life, of course that might have something to do with becoming vertically challenged.

2. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    After doing some research, I haven't found confirmation that the Master got what was promised... but the offer was made, and I don't see any reason why the High Council would renege on that offer.

3. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, they did. The TV Movie shows the Master as a dead goo, so they did, apparently forgot about that.

They only remembered him when during the Time War.

4. Timewalker

We know the Master tends to go through his regenerations a lot faster than most Time Lords, and we don't know how long the Master's Tremas-body lasted before he had to regenerate again.

It's entirely possible (improbable, but not impossible) that he went through a whole new cycle between the last time Anthony Ainley played the part and the Paul McGann movie.

5. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

That goes without saying.

No, they are having a celebration of a 50-year program, which by definition is a way of stating that it is relevant, but they'd rather be looking forward than provide nostalgia-driven fanservice for a small segment of their audience.

6. Smoked Salmon

Smoked Salmon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That "small segment" kept the franchise going for over 40 years before nuWho came along and that "small segment" is who have been making the show since 2005.

7. The Mirrorball Man

And they've been repaid by watching a highly entertaining television programme. They don't deserve a brass watch and a parade.

8. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

No, but contrast it with Trek's 30th anniversary. Voyager had an episode with TOS actors. DS9 had a special episode with TOS footage (which you could say that Name of the Doctor was, too).

The Day of the Doctor is missing something without classic actors. It just....is. *shrug*

But I guess we'll see if there are a few surprises in store.

9. Timewalker

Uh-huh. Dismissing the "small segment" of fans who have supported this show for decades is a lovely slap in the face. :rolleyes:

I've been watching Doctor Who since the early '80s, buying Who merchandise since the early '80s (the story novelizations in particular, and am currently collecting the DVDs from the Classic Who era), I traveled from Red Deer to Spokane one Labor Day weekend to meet Sylvester McCoy when he was on a cross-U.S. tour to promote his new episodes, over the years I've written fanfic, songs, reviews, articles, and even have the obligatory scarf. Other people have done so much more, and we don't deserve to be dismissed like we're some old small fringe segment of fans. For us it would be really nice for the current PTB not to pretend that this show didn't start until 2005.

Yes, I know that the first three Doctors have died, and Tom Baker is elderly. Some of the best-loved Companions have died in recent years. But if some of the others were willing to come back for a brief appearance, whyever not let them? Who cares if they don't look as young as they used to? It's not like Time Lords don't age, and it's not like Tom Baker looked the same in his 7th year on the show as he did in his first.

10. The Mirrorball Man

I'm one of them, and I still don't think that catering to the whimsical tastes of fandom is the best way to tell an entertaining story.

11. Smoked Salmon

So it's just that small segment made Doctors like Tom Baker wildly popular.

My problem with the Hurt Doctor is not the idea that there is a missing one, it's the it's not reflective of the history of the show. It's like going to the pub for your birthday and inviting all your mates, only to see two of them show up with a gatecrasher.

Got no problem with this story any other time. By 50 years is a time for nostalgia and it's the one time when, frankly, the mainstream audience should take a backseat and give over to the fans who kept the show alive for half a century. If they means wallowing in nostalgia then good. Unlike you I am particularly whimsical over these sorts of event paying tribute to days gone by.

12. Smoked Salmon

Besides all that, the really compelling thing is that it's really the only chance. Hell, Tom is about to turn 80. Colin and Sylv are 70 already. It's areguably not only the 50th but last chance saloon to have them be part of a celebration. To me that's a criminally sad missed opportunity.

13. The Mirrorball Man

Oh yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. :techman:

No, a small segment of Doctor Who viewers is clamoring for his return.

14. Smoked Salmon

Really, maybe you can provide a link to the survey you carried out on this point? :rolleyes:

15. The Mirrorball Man

There's no need to. If lots and lots of people were campaigning to get Tom Baker to make an appearance on the show, we would have heard of them by now, they would have a website, have made very public demonstrations, sent massive petitions to the BBC, etc. You can roll your eyes all you want but that's just a fact.

16. Timewalker

A small cameo would interfere with an "entertaining story"? :rolleyes:

I am the co-admin of a Doctor Who forum (Who On Earth Is Tom Baker). We have members of all ages, from the U.S., Canada, the U.K., and elsewhere. We unashamedly adore this man, who did such a wonderful job portraying the Doctor, and who had many other terrific roles in movies and TV.

It's insane to "celebrate" a 50-year-old show by ignoring its first 42 years. It's disrespectful not to acknowledge that the current show owes its existence to the decades of TV stories, books, audio adventures, comics, conventions, and live appearances that came before.

Without anyone from the Classic Who era, they might just as well say, "Hey, we're celebrating the 8th anniversary of the show, yay us!"

17. Smoked Salmon

Wait, so the diehards need to have a mega campaign to convince you that people out there think its a good idea?

In your world, unless people have public demonstrations and organise campaigns then they don't think something is a good idea?

What nonsense. It's quite obvious you have no idea what other fans think or what the general audience's view on it would be if asked. The polls at Gallifrey Base certainly show that majority of fans, new and old, think it'sa good idea to have classic Doctors in the special, and that forum has tens of thousands of posters. I wouldn't be surprised that if you asked the casual viewer whether or not he thought it'd be a good idea to have a Tom Baker appearance the response is not what you seem to think.

18. Smoked Salmon

Exactly.

19. The Mirrorball Man

Probably not, but no small cameo is not a "slap in the face".

Enough with the :rolleyes: please.

No, in my world, the real world, only a small segment of the population is clamoring for Tom Baker's return. Pretty sure that's what I said.

20. Smoked Salmon

That is indeed what you said and is based purely on your own assumption with no evidence to back it up. When asked for evidence you claimed that people would need to be organisning campaigns to get Tom Baker in the show, clearing implying that if they do not then nobody would enjoy seeing it.