One Recommendation

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kestra, Nov 12, 2012.

1. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Right about here, looks like.

2. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Wear sunscreen.

Or serious answer: the most successful man I ever knew said, "I don't take advice." He'd listen. He might even agree, but whatever he did, it was his decision. I wish I could be so decisive.

3. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Stretch out of your comfort zone. It's scary as hell, but so worth it.

Since I play the Romulan, I'm cheating by adding one more:

Forgive, even when the person who wronged you is not sorry. If not, anger and resentment fester and hurt you.

4. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

As someone who moved out to the East Coast after spending the prior 28 years in the Midwest, and did so completely alone and sight-unseen, yet I'm happier now than I have been in years ... yes. Actively find and engage your discomfort zone.

5. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. :) It's on Piedmont Avenue in Oakland in the East Bay. It's a midsized building with limited parking, so it's better to get there early. If you've seen Disney-Pixar's Up, the restaurant is briefly shown in it. According to our tour guide, some Pixar employees love having lunch there, so they paid an homage to the restaurant. They even gave an original signed still picture of the film to the management.

6. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

:klingon:

Oh okay, I forgive you.

7. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Listen more. Talk less. The few words that do come out of your mouth should be meaningful, truthful, and serve a real purpose. When you shut your mouth and open your ears you'll be surprised at how much you can learn (not to mention all the juicy gossip you'll become privy to).

Fenton's is awesome! I have fond memories of my 5th birthday party at Fenton's. I had the flu but refused to admit it and so ate a whole bunch of yummy ice cream and then promptly threw it up. So worth it! I'm no longer in the Bay Area, but luckily there is also a Fenton's in Vacaville, which is closer to me.

Oh good, I'm not the only one who thought of this. :lol:

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

When you get to the fork in the road, take it.

(That's not my recommendation. It's Yogi Berra's. Phhhbbbbt. )

9. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Last night when I was commuting home on my bicycle a car overtook me in a very stupid, unneccessary maneuver (since I was going pretty much the speed of traffic anyway) and when I reeled the car in a block or so later I decided to to give him an ironic "thumbs up" sign to show him what an idiot he is. Unfortunately at exactly the same time he had to break hard because of the car in front of him and I bumped into the car's back pretty hard.

I'm fine and my bike's too. But my recommendation is: don't do that. Someone cuts you off - let it go. Won't get you home any faster to "teach" the offender a lesson or whatever.

10. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eat dessert first. :p

11. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I've got one from my Grandfather (Got several but I'll go with just one):

Keep learning -- Whether you're do it in a school, or just reading books, or even just finding someone that'll teach you something new, just learn constantly. Doesn't matter if you'll never use the knowledge or skill, just keep learning whenever, whatever you can.

12. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a good one. Learning is soothing, and keeps the mind distracted from itself. And reassures you that you have knowledge to pass on to others.

13. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Go AWOL once in a while.

14. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

A friend's father once told me this parable:

A cat was walking down a railroad track. A train came along, and cut off a bit of the cat's tail. The cat turned around to pick up the lopped-off bit, and the train cut off the cat's head. The moral of the story (and my recommendation) is:

Don't lose your head over a piece of tail. :)

15. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Glad it's working out, although I suspect there was a cost to it all which you had to pay.

But Baltimore? Yuck. :p

:rommie: I need a graphic of a smug Romulan.

At any rate, this is a fine thread. Between this and Revdkathy's blast from the past, I can enjoy Misc again.

Sure beats the "Wahhhh....some girl doesn't like me"-type threads.

16. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

This one's from my dad, one of the best pieces of advice he ever gave me:

"The world has two kinds of people. Givers and Takers. Always be a Giver, but make sure to surround yourself with Givers also."

17. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^Reminds of my Mom's great description of the world:

There are only two types of people: smart people and stupid people.

Smart people are curious, they want to learn, to see and experience new things, to hear about what's going on in the world. They see the value in other cultures, points of view, etc and have empathy because they see how similar we all are.

Stupid people don't value anything other than what they themselves accept. Different things, values or approaches are frightening and therefore evil. Learning new things doesn't interest them; they aren't curious and want everything to stay the same. They don't have empathy because they see everything as US vs THEM. And there's always a "THEM" somewhere.

None of it has anything to do with color, gender, age, education level, wealth, nationality or ethnicity. You're a smart person or a stupid person. Choose to be in the first category or the second.

I thought that was great advice. I think the whole discussion started because of my dad's relatives. They were educated but narrow minded, hateful, bigoted people. I couldn't understand it at all. My mom's little speech made it perfectly clear to me.

18. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

You're mom is a wise woman. :techman: Thanks for sharing that, I love it!

19. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

There are two types of people in the world: people who divide people into two types and people who don't!

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Actually there are 10 types: those who understand binary and those who don't.