One or two-off novelists who should come back?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Star Treks, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Jun 4, 2001
    Another vote for Simon Hawke.

(I liked 'Blaze of Glory' and 'The Romulan Prize')
  2. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Feb 8, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    I really loved The Romulan Prize. Is The Patrian Transgression of similar quality?
  3. JD

JD Admiral Admiral

Jul 22, 2004
    Arizona, USA
    It's not Trek Lit, but she also wrote an episode of New Voyages.
  4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Oct 16, 2000
    South Pennsyltucky
    I generally like Jeter's work. Hell, I liked The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy, and I don't know of many Star Wars fans who do.

I thought his Blade Runner novels (of which I've only read the first two; I never got around to importing the third and it's probably long out of print) were merely adequate.

I liked Warped. I've often said that it's a phildickian pastiche, but the reality is that it only deals with phildickian ideas in a Trek setting. (If it were a true phildickian pastiche, Quark would have saved the universe, there would have been drug use, and there would have been at least one sex scene. Warped bats 0 for 3 on that score.)
    I seem to recall that David Alexander wrote in his Roddenberry biography that Roddenberry wanted Asimov to write a Trek novel in the 1970s. Looking at Asimov's career, that doesn't make any sort of sense as realistic possibility. He wrote The Gods Themselves and some novella-length work in the 1970s, but he didn't return to full-length novels until the 1980s, and at that point he discovered best-sellerdom in his own universes. Maybe Asimov could have been pursuaded in the 1970s, but I think it unlikely.
  5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Admiral

Jun 30, 2004
    New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
    I had no problem with Jeter's "Bloodletter". Not memorable over time, but I didn't hate it. "Warped" was just so... turgid. Reading it was a real chore, and I usually steam through ST hardcovers.

I even bought all his "Bladerunner" sequels, but "Warped" put me off wanting to read them in a hurry. They got left at the bottom of a tall pile, where they remain.
  6. Ghost of the Enterprise-C

Ghost of the Enterprise-C Captain Captain

Mar 9, 2002
    I think it is.
  7. BrentMc

BrentMc Commander Red Shirt

Feb 4, 2006
    California U.S.A.
    Yes! I second that.
  8. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mar 21, 2006