Once Nolan's trilogy ends..

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by OdoWanKenobi, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Robin is still a 13 year-old that Batman is bringing out to fight crime with. It was a good story, but a live-action version of that is going to be hard to buy for mainstream audiences.

Actually, I said the opposite. :p I think it worked because they aged him and changed the dynamic.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Oh oops...bad job on me for not reading correctly. I still disagree though. I realize that audiences would probably have a hard time rationalizing a 13 year old side kick but then maybe the compromise is having him 14 or 15. I really truly believe it would work handled by someone who can appreciate the character and the material. *Shrugs*. This reminds me of that old Robin thread that was around a few years ago. This is when this topic was first brought up I think. Probably sometime in between "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight".

3. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've heard tell that Warner, once Nolan's Dark Knight saga is concluded, will restart the character in a TV show (live action).

They aren't going to do a live action Bat film for awhile. Allow some time between the end of Nolan's saga and the start of whatever cinematic version begins.

4. Admiral_Young

I've not heard any rumours about a live action television series...if they did have one, they'd have to finally lift the Bat-Embargo.

5. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was mentioned on the Kevin Smith/Ralph Garmin podcast, Hollywood Babble-on, during their "Geek News" segment.

6. Broccoli

It would be tough to pull off successfully. Maybe if they had Robin already active and being an older teen to begin with (kinda how they did in B:TAS), people could buy it a little better.

Again, I really liked the idea they went with in Forever/B&R. While it is not the only approach, I think that was the right one at that time to take for a tricky character like that. Now, if the storyline (B&R in particular) serviced the character better...

I remember hearing something like that 2 or 3 years ago. It is probably bunk as WB is likely concentrating on TDKR more than anything else. If there is an idea for a show, I bet it is in the back of their minds at the moment.

7. Admiral_Young

I will say that I would love to see a solo "Nightwing" movie with maybe a flash back to his origin as Robin :)

8. Broccoli

^ Nightwing: Year One was pretty good and the central idea behind it would make a good basis for a Nightwing movie.

9. Admiral_Young

^ Ah we finally agree on something ;) Okay now I remember about those rumours from a couple years ago now that you mentioned the time frame. I still don't think a live action television series is feasible. The economy is a big problem right now. Look at all the productions shutting down. I also think this is one reason why DC can't get their shows off the ground. Their concepts are too expensive to produce right now...but maybe that's a subject left better to another thread.

10. Broccoli

I don't think a live action Batman TV series would be all that successful. I don't know why I think this. Just a feeling, I suppose.

11. Admiral_Young

I'm 50/50 on the issue. The "Young Bruce Wayne" series proposal had a lot of interesting concepts in it but I really don't see it lasting for more than two or three seasons. They milked "Smallville" far longer than it should have been in my opinion (I think we disagree on this too). Besides which I kind of think we got a live action Batman series with Green Arrow in "Smallville" which was basically modified Miles and Gough plans for Bruce Wayne.

12. Broccoli

I thought Adam Knight was suppose to be Batman? ;) But, yeah, I know what you mean.

I can see a Young Bruce Wayne series working because they would obviously add the CW formula to it (I don't mean that in a bad way - it's a workable formula). Plus, it would be superhero show without being a superhero show, much like Smallville was in its early days.

I just think doing a full-on Batman show would be incredibly difficult to pull off in terms of making it marketable (though, that is probably not the right term).

13. Admiral_Young

Whatever happens after the reboot in a couple of years will be interesting to see and what process Nolan follows as the Executive Producer of the thing. I'm still intrigued by this new animated series they're developing.

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'd rather they just let the property stay dormant for a while, as I'm rather sick of superhero movies after the cycle of the past ten years, but obviously that'll never happen. Hopefully the next take on the character is a radical departure from the Nolan/Goyer version; if they wanted to continue in the same vein why reboot?

Christian Bale as an older Batman in ten or twenty years might be interesting, provided the next movie doesn't kill off the character.

15. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Ra's is in TDKR (as is Talia), so if we're lucky and he's not just in scenes set during the timeframe of BB...

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

A TV show set in Nolan's universe would be the most probable option for a live action show, in my opinion. Why? Because Gotham looks like a normal city: lower budget. Because this version of Batman is immensely popular: high ratings.

17. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

There's talk in the anticipation thread about Nolan having to put in an 8 year gap between The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises in case the studio wants to do future projects set in that universe.

I'd love to see that, but I don't know how well it would do. A lot of hot movie properties aren't so hot as weekly TV shows.

18. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

It's time we had a comedy Batman that mercilessly mocks everybody and everything.

No more serious and grimness. Bring on Adam West. Or somebody like him.

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ I've had thoughts about a live-action Batman Beyond series that's a continuation of the 60s show, that also has Adam West as an elderly Bruce Wayne.

20. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Only if you consider the films I cited--along with Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Desperado, etc.-- as "camp."