Official ST Fan Film Guidelines

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by STRenegade, Jun 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STRenegade

STRenegade Commander Red Shirt

2. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

Well call them the Star Wars!
    Star Trek Wars?
    Star Wars Trek?
    Trek Wars?
    Wars Trek?

There's another thread about this in the fan production forum.

3. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was bound to happen sooner or later, especially in light of certain recent developments that have already been discussed for hundreds of pages in another thread.

I think the limit on the running time is rather strict, but oh well. :shrug:

Kor

4. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

Thousands, Thousands of pages.

5. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not unexpected, but I'd have liked a slightly longer episode length time (if it were to be limited, say 25 minutes).

Kor likes this.
  6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not surprised by them issuing guidelines, but some of them are rather surprising. Oh, well, now people can complain about the guidelines rather than the lack of guidelines.

uniderth likes this.
  7. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

They are allowed to do two part stories with a combined runtime of 30 minutes. That's more than enough! Look what shows like Steven universe do in 11 minutes, it's all in the writing.

Sure, they won't be able to do an epic galaxy spanning story with dozens of characters that would be the Lord of the Rings of Star Trek with those limitations but that's not what fan productions should be anyway.

I especially love the rule that everybody who has worked on Star Trek is forbidden from participating in fan productions.

8. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

The running time limit is my only real complaint. It kills full episodes for ST: Continues and ST: Phase II. Other than that, it's a company protecting their copyright while trying to throw a bone to the fans.

Galileo7 likes this.
  9. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Steven Universe, and shows like it, have multiple 11-minute episodes to create an overarching story arc with, though. Yeah, they have good solo bits, but not only good solo bits. You missed this part:

You're not allowed to do anything but a one-and-done production. Single episode or two-parter, and that's all. No continuity to further productions you might make whatsoever. Every single fan film production now has to be a stand-alone work.

10. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And no actors that have ever been part of Star Trek can be in a fan-production?

Seeing how many have already done so, with joy, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd spoke up about this.

Galileo7 likes this.
  11. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't see how this could possibly stand up to legal scrutiny. For a start, it impinges on an actor's right to work, paid or unpaid. I would suggest that somewhere in US law, there's a rule that says you can't stop a person from earning a legitimate living. And if no Trek actor has ever signed a contract forbidding them from working on a *STILL* legal fan production, I don't see how CBS and Paramount can do anything but put up with it.

12. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

CBS and Paramount can shut them down, there are no legal fan productions, they're all violating copyright (if they didn't they wouldn't be recognizable as Star Trek anymore), there are just the ones CBS and Paramount tolerate and only they decide what they do and don't tolerate. No one has the right to do a fan production in the first place and that means CBS and Paramount aren't violating anyone's rights no matter what rules they come up with.

It's also important to note that those rules are in no way binding for the companies, a fan production can follow all the rules and CBS and Paramount could still shut them down.

13. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would think the onus is on the person producing the fan film project to make sure s/he isn't using anybody who has worked on official Trek. And it seems that the part saying "creators, actors and all other participants must be amateurs" already rules out anybody who makes their living in TV or movies and is part of the system of professional guilds/unions for the industry.

Kor

14. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I've moved this to the more subject-specific Fan Productions forum. There's already an active thread on this topic in FP, so I'll leave it to one of my fine colleagues to decide if the threads should be squished together via Mod Magic.

15. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Just closing this thread down. Go over to the other Fan Gilm a Guidelines thread, please,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.