Official New Star Trek 2012 Game for the PC, PS3 & X360

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by 22 Stars, Nov 17, 2011.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Push in and hold down the left thumbstick while running forward then jump.

2. Lee Enfield

Lee Enfield Lieutenant Red Shirt

Thank you very much!

Thanks, but does that mean you reject(?) the STO graphics, despite the knowledge of higher performance cost?

3. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Try, keep trying, then try some more. We weren't even sure it was possible. We got hung up on the door with the missing power cell, assuming something in there would make the chasm easier to get over, but the game was glitching and wouldn't let us install the power cell. Finally my wife tried it solo and sent AI Spock over to where he was supposed to be, and he just hopped across. Eventually we managed to make the jump. (Yes, we were doing running jumps all along.)

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, not at all. Perhaps I chose my words poorly. STO's visuals are fine, and roughly equal to it's contemporaries. ST: TVG's, on the other hand, are a bit lacking compared to many similar games.

5. Lee Enfield

Lee Enfield Lieutenant Red Shirt

Ah, now I see. Thanks!

6. General_Phoenix

General_Phoenix Captain Captain

Co-op seems to have the most bugs from what I have noticed. Which is strange, because I only encountered one or two problems with the the AI. I figured the AI would be far more buggy, but I only had one instance of when I was playing as Spock, Kirk got seemingly lost (or disappeared) tried ordering him to my location but to no avail, could not even find him so had to re-load the last checkpoint.

7. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

SDKs have gone the way of the dinosaur... sadly. Modding turns bad games into playable ones and good games get crazy longevity.
    Have there been any recent console releases that also enjoy SDKs?

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  8. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anything console-only won't get an SDK, period.

The last games that I can think of with SDKs are Unreal Tournament III and Left 4 Dead 2. And StarCraft II, kinda.

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

As others have already mentioned the game is poor graphics wise, just look at the likes of Halo 4. It's control system can be clunky at times, at times it suffers from poor clipping. It has the feel of an unpolished game, brought out to tie in with the new movie. That being said it does have it's moments, the score is good. 6.5 out of time, must do better.

10. General_Phoenix

Trying to do the mission where you have to restore power for sickbay so Bones can get to work. Trying to beat it with stealth, basically trying to get the achievement where you complete all secondary objectives, this one seems more challenging than the other ones though - can't seem to divert power without being detected, any strategy here? There's a Gorn and an infected Starfleet officer that seem to be fairly hard to predict in their pattern, the rest of them I can handle fairly easily. I wouldn't worry about it so much, but the particular achievement is worth 100gs so I am tempted to complete it and then I'll probably shelf the game.

11. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Have you tried to use your tricorder powers to distract them?

12. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally booted this up today (it took a f**king age for it to install on my PS3 though). My first impressions have been relatively positive. The game has been running smoothly and I haven't encountered any game breaking bugs.... yet. :D ;)

But it's clear that the game lacks polish. It's got all the right ideas. I love the way it weaves the storyline around the events and it does feel true to the Abrams-verse Trek movies. But it just feels like it isn't quite 'finished', at least as far as having a single player campaign is concerned. I suspect the entire thing was geared towards the two-player co-op, and the single player part was very much an after-thought. Then again, some posters above me say that the co-op version is just as borked, so who knows. :shrug:

I tell a lie actually. One bug I did encounter was the erratic nature of the co-op partner's AI. In his quarters I found Kirk able to walk through Spock like he wasn't actually there (bad clipping), and when we got out into the corridor he suddenly solidified again and I had to bark orders at him to get out of my way. At one point he actually got me trapped in the egress where those two crewmen are working.

Speaking of which, I found it unintentionally hilarious that Kirk can tell Spock to come to him like Spock is a dog or something. I kept expecting Pine to say "C'mere Spock! Good boy! Sit! Sit! Who's a good Vulcan? YOU are! Fetch the ball! Fetch it!" :lol:

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  13. General_Phoenix

Found an achievement glitch, finished all secondary objectives and got the 100g achievement, although the completing half of secondary achievement (60g) never unlocked. Might do a run through once more just to try to get it (only need 5 more and I have 100%) getting to where I can play this game in my sleep now.

14. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Played the first mission with a mate and it was fairly enjoyable. Yes it's not a AAA, but if it had been released back in 09 it probably would have been considered quite good. I really enjoyed the dialogue between Kirk and Spock and am looking forward to where the plot goes.

15. Ain Jalut

Ain Jalut Lieutenant

Graphics are overrated. Heck i never really cared unless things are blurry.

16. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thinking of picking this up for PS3. Was a patch ever released to address any of these glitches?

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

J.J. Abrams' isn't a fan of the game, and goes so far as to say it "hurt" Star Trek Into Darkness:

"Then we sort of realised that it was not going in a place where we were going to get what we wanted, so we dropped out and they continued to do it despite... y'know.

"To me the video game could have been
    something that actually really benefited the
    series and was an exciting, fun game with great
    gameplay," Abrams continued. "Instead it was not and was something that I think, for me emotionally it hurt because we were working our asses off making the movie and then this game came out and it got, this isn't even my opinion, it got universally panned and I think that it was something without question that didn't help the movie and arguably hurt it."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/429308/star-trek-game-arguably-hurt-the-movie-says-jj-abrams/

18. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I think it's silly to say the game hurt the movie. The game wasn't great, fine. It was never prominently advertised, thus casual gamers weren't picking it up.

19. Mykeprime

Mykeprime Ensign Newbie

Does anyone know where steam hides your save data for this game? I want to back up my progress in case I ever re-install

20. Majestic

Majestic Ensign Newbie

I found the AI with Spock rather bad. I actually in one level just took off and left him as it was pretty bad. He did catch up.

But overall it was a pretty good game. JJ Abrams thinking it hurt the movie, it's silly. Not all Trek fans are gamers and not all movie fans are gamers either.